Bad voice actors?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Bad voice actors?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » November 23rd, 2020, 3:58 pm

How much can bad voice acting ruin an otherwise good game for you?

I started playing Final Fantasy X for the first time in probably fifteen years or more today, and holy crap I forgot how bad Tidus' voice was! It's a shame, because most of the other actors do a pretty good job. But since Tidus is the central character in such a story heavy game, every time he opens his mouth my appreciation for the game goes down a little more.

Zack Burner

Re: Bad voice actors?

Postby Zack Burner » November 23rd, 2020, 5:19 pm

Mega Man X, the voice actors in that game make any episode of Pokemon look Emmy worthy (well those actors were already good). Mega Man himself doesn't sound like the badass he's supposed to be, and Dr. Light forget it, sounds like Elmer Fudd, "Dr. Wawy"

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » November 23rd, 2020, 5:31 pm

The original Resident Evil on the PS1. I played it back in the mid-nineties and didn't notice the voice. Reacquired it about five years ago, and I realized how completely ridiculous it was. It didn't spoil the fun as it is a great game but it definitely was funny to play hearing the bad acting.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » November 23rd, 2020, 6:26 pm

matmico399 wrote:The original Resident Evil on the PS1. I played it back in the mid-nineties and didn't notice the voice. Reacquired it about five years ago, and I realized how completely ridiculous it was. It didn't spoil the fun as it is a great game but it definitely was funny to play hearing the bad acting.

Oh Yeah, who could ever forget lines such as, "You we're almost a Jill Sandwich!" "Wow what a mansion!", and "It be logical if you the master of lockpicking take this"

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » November 23rd, 2020, 7:35 pm

DialSforSam

Postby DialSforSam » November 24th, 2020, 7:33 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:How much can bad voice acting ruin an otherwise good game for you?

I started playing Final Fantasy X for the first time in probably fifteen years or more today, and holy crap I forgot how bad Tidus' voice was! It's a shame, because most of the other actors do a pretty good job. But since Tidus is the central character in such a story heavy game, every time he opens his mouth my appreciation for the game goes down a little more.

The sad attempt of a laugh really ruined it.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » November 24th, 2020, 8:37 pm

If there is one game that personifies bad voice acting for me, both in a good and bad way it's House of the Dead 2. The delivery generally adds to the overall feel of a low budget horror film. It's Goldman's lines that are the most cringeworthy, such as "People of the AMS I am Goldman" "I've created the perfect being to rule over mankind!" "In time a successor will come"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftc_Pbhb3IE

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 25th, 2020, 7:20 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA1M7-cDrJA&feature=emb_logo

Meet Chaos Wars.

That was truly fascinating. Do you think they asked the receptionist to come in and read a few lines? And then decided, hey, that's good enough, let's keep it. The guy was terrible but, geesh, I've heard more emotion coming from a salad compared to the girl.

sixam

Postby sixam » November 25th, 2020, 7:58 am

How about when a major Hollywood star gives a half-assed voice performance. That would be David Duchovny in the XII game. His delivery is a dull monotone throughout the entire game. It is in sharp contrast to Adam West's performance in the same game.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 25th, 2020, 9:21 am

sixam wrote:How about when a major Hollywood star gives a half-assed voice performance. That would be David Duchovny in the XII game. His delivery is a dull monotone throughout the entire game. It is in sharp contrast to Adam West's performance in the same game.

haha, but a dull monotone IS Duchovny's shtick. Have you ever heard Mulder use anything but a dull monotone voice on the X-Files? :lol:

Return to “Video Games General”