Best system launch ever? Was it Dreamcast?

General and high profile video game topics.
Shapur

Re: Best system launch ever? Was it Dreamcast?

Postby Shapur » November 26th, 2020, 7:14 pm

Absolutely. No launch has ever matched that for me. I was also there 9.9.99 at the mall picking up my preordered system and Sonic Adventure plus Soul Calibur. A very strong launch lineup as has already been noted and the biggest jump in graphics between generations ever IMO. I wish the magic of consoles launches could come back....

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » November 26th, 2020, 11:48 pm

What really stands out to me, is the Colecovision.

It's the first time new hardware launched with a killer app, and enough back-up to instantly change the market.

A shame it suffered the same fate as the Dreamcast.

Edit: Removed rant about the 5200 and Colecovision being categorized as the same generation as the 2600, because everyone already knows why that's a bad joke.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 27th, 2020, 8:31 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:What really stands out to me, is the Colecovision.

It's the first time new hardware launched with a killer app, and enough back-up to instantly change the market.

Great point. The Colecovision Donkey Kong was absolutely mind-blowing back in 1982. It seems like achieving "arcade quality" graphics was the holy grail of any system back then.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » November 27th, 2020, 9:00 am

I think the first, and only, time I was truly excited for a console launch was the original Xbox. I have always been primarily a PC gamer after cutting my teeth on the Atari 2600 (Vic-20, C64, DOS x286/x386/Pentium computers, etc), but the switch by Bungie to release Halo as an Xbox launch title coupled with the fact that the Xbox had a built-in hard drive as well as a native ethernet port made me really interested in a console for the first time. It was like they had solved two of my biggest gripes about consoles (inability to easily go online + save game ease) in one fell swoop. I still didn't do the 'launch day' thing, and they were probably out for a few months before I picked one up, but I do think it was the only console I ever actively and excitedly followed to launch.

DocHix

Postby DocHix » November 27th, 2020, 5:40 pm

It's been a long time since I bought a console at launch...but does anyone remember when developers would release games several weeks prior to system debuts? Not sure if this is still something that happens, but I remember picking up a copy of "Rogue Leader" quite a while before the actual Gamecube launch. I also remember the N64 release...a local Best Buy put systems on sale before the street date and caused a chain reaction leading to Babbage's and EB selling consoles early, too. A friend from work swore that he got a call from an EB Games store manager the next day begging him to return the console so that he would not be fired for violating street date protocols. Not sure if the story was true or not but I don't imagine something like that could happen these days with computerized inventory controls.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » November 27th, 2020, 5:59 pm

I’m sure it still happens. I did snatch up a Sega Genesis Classic a day before the official release date at Wal Mart. Not quite a PS5 but quite fortunate as I needed it for a gift and was flying out immediately.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » December 3rd, 2020, 2:39 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Blaster - I take it you were joking about the Jaguar! Club Drive gave it away. That console wasn't as much launched as jettisoned!

".

Lol, caught.
I did think CyberMorph was great. I do seem to be the only one. Every time you got a great game, Iron Soldier you would get something lame right after. Checkered flag... wow that game was poor.

Launch system, probably Xbox. Halo was so good.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » December 3rd, 2020, 8:54 am

Hmm,

We might be forgetting a couple of them.

How about the Atari 2600 with Combat?

I mean it had tanks, jets, helicopters all for awesome two person thrilling deathmatches.

No? Not a fan.

Well, then I have a Nintendo Entertainment System with Super Mario Brothers, Duck Hunt, and ROB the Robot!

You got platforming, a pesky dog that laughs when you miss and some crazy robot contraption that lifts stuff. Seriously, that's a pretty good launch right there. And let's not forget Kung Fu! I played the heck out of Kung Fu.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 3rd, 2020, 9:48 am

ActRaiser wrote:Well, then I have a Nintendo Entertainment System with Super Mario Brothers, Duck Hunt, and ROB the Robot!

You got platforming, a pesky dog that laughs when you miss and some crazy robot contraption that lifts stuff. Seriously, that's a pretty good launch right there. And let's not forget Kung Fu! I played the heck out of Kung Fu.

Yeah, NES was my #3 choice (after DC and Xbox), but there's definitely a case for it being #1. Super Mario Bros alone is arguably the best launch game of all time, especially considering how far ahead it was of the competition at that time. Plus, bonus points to the system for reinvigorating interest in home consoles when it was a dying industry.

And don't forget Excitebike! Another great launch game and one of my favorites as a kid. Ice Climber was also an NES launch game. In fact, here's the full US list:

10-Yard Fight; Baseball; Clu Clu Land; Duck Hunt; Excitebike; Golf; Gyromite; Hogan's Alley; Ice Climber; Kung Fu; Pinball; Soccer; Stack-Up; Super Mario Bros.; Tennis; Wild Gunman; Wrecking Crew

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » December 3rd, 2020, 11:30 am

Retro STrife wrote: Hogan's Alley

Hogan's Alley! That game was the bomb.

Return to “Video Games General”