Singing the Wrong Lyrics?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Singing the Wrong Lyrics?

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 28th, 2020, 10:22 am

I was watching a college football game the other night and noticed they kept playing that song "We feel in love in a homeless place". I thought that was kind of a strange name for a song so I looked it up.

Turns out it's "We feel in love in a hopeless place". Sure enough there was a parody video of YouTube for the version a lot of people know.

Any funny stories about a song you discovered you had been singing wrong for years? It's pretty embarrassing but often funny.

jon

Re: Singing the Wrong Lyrics?

Postby jon » November 28th, 2020, 10:54 am

I used to think Nirvana's Lounge Act, which is one of my favorite Nirvana songs, in the lead up to the 2nd chorus I thought Kurt Cobain sang "tell us what you've got". A few years ago I realized it was "until it's bleeping gone". I was wrong for maybe 20 years or so lol.

I used to think for a while during Duran Duran's Hungry Like The Wolf, that it was "disco and rhyme" instead of "discord and rhyme"
And for New Moon On Monday I thought it was "5 days through the night" instead of "fire dance through the night". I also thought it was "last time I lose my mind" instead of "last time La Luma".

Sometimes I think it was better not knowing the words. It's like how watching the special features part of a movie can make things not as interesting.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » November 28th, 2020, 11:47 am

hold me closer, Tony Danza...

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » November 28th, 2020, 11:55 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I was watching a college football game the other night and noticed they kept playing that song "We feel in love in a homeless place". I thought that was kind of a strange name for a song so I looked it up.

Turns out it's "We feel in love in a hopeless place". Sure enough there was a parody video of YouTube for the version a lot of people know.

This used to play several times a day at my old job and I knew the right lyrics, but after hearing it 3-4 times a day, 5 days a week I chose to hear it as 'found love in a homeless place' which made it slightly more bearable!

My wife and I have this discussion often. As a kid my main one I misheard was "Would I Lie to You" by Charles and Eddie. I though the main lyric was "Ooo la la to ya, baby" it made sense to me at the time :lol: As a kid my wife always misheard the lyrics from "Unbreak My Heart" by Toni Braxton... the actual lyric is "Say you love me" repeated. She heard it as "Sage and onion." I maintain my misheard lyric was less silly. ;)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 28th, 2020, 12:23 pm

There's a Smashing Pumpkins song on Adore called Once Upon a Time.

For the longest time I thought one repeating line went:
Once upon a time in my life...
I went BOOOOWL-ING...

Turns out it was
I went FAAAALLL-ING

Voor

Postby Voor » November 28th, 2020, 1:48 pm

Hendrix: “scuse me while I kiss this guy”

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 28th, 2020, 2:00 pm

Bad Moon Rising: "There's a bathroom on the right"

Should be "There's a bad moon on the rise"

Breaker

Postby Breaker » November 28th, 2020, 3:13 pm

When I was a kid I thought the Beach Boys were singing "Help your momma" instead of "Help me Rhonda."

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » November 28th, 2020, 5:29 pm

The first line of Steve Perry's oh Sherry. He says you should have been gone, I always thought it was cinnamon gum. LOL

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » November 28th, 2020, 5:47 pm

British comedian Peter Kay did a relatively well known bit about misheard lyrics. It’s on YouTube.

I haven’t been able to unhear most of these since!

Return to “Other Media”