Good Modern Racer?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Good Modern Racer?

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 15th, 2020, 6:08 pm

I'm looking for a good modern racing game, probably for the PS4 or Xbox One. Preferably one that didn't save all its best content as DLC! Also, would prefer to play offline. Recommendations?

Buttermancan

Re: Good Modern Racer?

Postby Buttermancan » December 18th, 2020, 3:06 am

Hi Critic. I'm currently playing Dirt Rally 2 and I'm really enjoying it. It's strive for realism may put some people off as the game can be brutally punishing (slightly misjudging a turn could end up totalling your car) but there's so much depth to the driving. I'm currently playing it on easy and I still don't always win. There's career mode where you start with old classic cars, win stages then buy more cars and compete in Rally Cross. You can also have one off races, compete online and take part in daily challenges where people get one chance to get the fastest time in a random track (don't quote me on that as I've not tried that mode yet :D ).
What's impressed me the most outside of the driving model is how different each car feels to drive. They've got many modern vehicles to choose from but I'm currently having the most fun with the classic Mini and Lancia (handling feels very different to one another).
If this sounds like your cup of tea I would suggest purchasing the Game of the year edition like I did for Xbox. It cost me £17.99 (first hand physical copy) and includes all 4 seasons which aren't in the base game. This GOTY edition also has a special Colin McRae tribute mode. I haven't tried this yet but is good from what I've heard. You relive some of his classic races in his iconic Subaru Imprezza etc.
Worth mentioning is the online requirement for career mode. No idea why they deemed this necessary as its a single player component but I no you'd enjoy raging about that if you reviewed it ;)

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » December 18th, 2020, 3:16 am

You need to give Virtua Racer for the Switch a try also. I know you'd be happier with a physical copy but this game shouldn't be missed. It's release price of just £5.99 is staggering to me. Such great value!

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » December 18th, 2020, 2:44 pm

Buttermancan wrote:Hi Critic. I'm currently playing Dirt Rally 2 and I'm really enjoying it. It's strive for realism may put some people off as the game can be brutally punishing (slightly misjudging a turn could end up totalling your car) but there's so much depth to the driving. I'm currently playing it on easy and I still don't always win.

I did a search on dirt, and the critic gave Dirt 2 a C and Dirt 4 a D. He doesn't seem to have enjoyed them. Myself though, I agree with butter man can, I really enjoyed Dirt 2 in Dirt 3 on Xbox 360. I also enjoyed Dirt 4 on PS4, I've been playing it for two years although I can see it in grading somebody's nerves with the way the track instructions are rattled off in the computer generated tracks. I enjoyed Forza on X360 as well. And burnout Paradise on X360.

However, I've played demos of racers and nothing just passed generation has really appealed to me at all. Hotshot Racing looks on the shallow side to me based on many videos I've watched of it. If there is a eally fun newer arcade style racing game, I haven't found it.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 18th, 2020, 5:54 pm

I haven't played any that you haven't already reviewed, but these Metacritic lists should be helpful. These are the top-reviewed racers on PS4 and Xbox One:

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games ... w=detailed

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games ... w=detailed

SnowRunner looks like a seasonally-correct option. There's also the Project CARS series, Dirt Rally 2.0, Redout, and Wreckfest, which all look like they have good potential.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » December 19th, 2020, 3:02 am

Cafeman wrote:
Buttermancan wrote:Hi Critic. I'm currently playing Dirt Rally 2 and I'm really enjoying it. It's strive for realism may put some people off as the game can be brutally punishing (slightly misjudging a turn could end up totalling your car) but there's so much depth to the driving. I'm currently playing it on easy and I still don't always win.

I did a search on dirt, and the critic gave Dirt 2 a C and Dirt 4 a D. He doesn't seem to have enjoyed them. Myself though, I agree with butter man can, I really enjoyed Dirt 2 in Dirt 3 on Xbox 360. I also enjoyed Dirt 4 on PS4, I've been playing it for two years although I can see it in grading somebody's nerves with the way the track instructions are rattled off in the computer generated tracks. I enjoyed Forza on X360 as well. And burnout Paradise on X360.

However, I've played demos of racers and nothing just passed generation has really appealed to me at all. Hotshot Racing looks on the shallow side to me based on many videos I've watched of it. If there is a eally fun newer arcade style racing game, I haven't found it.

I should point out that the game I mentioned - 'Dirt Rally 2.0' is not the same as the one you've played on Xbox 360 and wasn't released that generation. I should've been clearer as Codemasters have made it confusing for consumers. The 'Dirt' series are fun arcade style rally games whereas the 'Dirt Rally' series is a more sim based hard core experience.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 19th, 2020, 2:26 pm

This topic got me in the racing mood, so I tried out Dirt Rally 2.0. (It was free for PS+ users a few months ago, so I already had it downloaded to my PS4.)

It seems technically sound and all that, which maybe explains the decent review scores (in the low 80’s on metacritic), but I personally couldn’t recommend it. It just wasn’t very fun and didn’t have anything hooking me to keep playing. Granted I only played a couple hours, so I didn’t play enough to pass final judgment, but I’m done with it already.

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » December 27th, 2020, 2:33 pm

Here's some racing games that I enjoy on PS4. Some of these were already reviewed on the site, but they're games that I enjoy.

Burnout Paradise Remastered
Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled
The Crew
Gran Turismo Sport
Grip
Horizon Chase Turbo
Need for Speed Heat
OnRush
Wipeout Omega Collection

My library isn't particularly massive at the moment, but I do plan on expanding in the near future.

evergreen13

Postby evergreen13 » December 28th, 2020, 8:40 am

Someone mentioned Wreckfest in this thread, which is probably my favorite racer this gen. No licensed cars or tracks, but it doesn’t matter. This game is all about the crashing physics, and it’s fun as hell! Single player campaign is a bit dry, but it’s still fun with some unique challenges like a demolition derby on lawnmowers! Online multiplayer is a chaotic mess in the best way possible. It turns into a game of survival; it’s not about getting first place, it’s about completing the race!

It really is a spiritual successor to Destruction Derby. It’s a bit rough around the edges, but it is a ton of fun. Those who want to master the perfect racing lines need not apply, but if you like your racing even a little dirty, Wreckfest is definitely worth your time.

Return to “Modern Gaming”