Switch Zelda: Link's Awakening

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
newmodelarmy

Switch Zelda: Link's Awakening

Postby newmodelarmy » December 17th, 2020, 5:26 am

I bought this off Amazon for $40 on sale and beat it in a week. I could not put this gem down. I believe this is a remake of a GBA Color game (not sure) but if you are looking for something to hold you over on the Switch until BOTW 2 comes around, I would highly recommend this adventure. Unlike other Zelda games I have played, I only had to refer to a guide a few times. Honestly, I just don't have the time or patience to be stumped for hours on end. Highly recommend this one for the VGC, surprised he hasn't reviewed it yet.

snakeboy

Re: Switch Zelda: Link's Awakening

Postby snakeboy » December 19th, 2020, 2:44 pm

I actually picked this up in the same Amazon sale. Haven't played it yet but planning on doing so soon.

Zelda games are about the only ones that I'm willing to put 50+ hours into, but it will be nice to play a shorter one. It's kind of funny how the biggest criticism of this game seems to be that it is "only" 15 hours long. I guess those people have a tad more extra free time than I do.

strat

Postby strat » December 19th, 2020, 10:10 pm

The only "problem" with LA is that while the graphics, physics and UI have been updated from the original, it's still the same game in almost every way except three things (highlight to read)

the seashell quest is expanded and the photo mini-quest from LADX is replaced with a half-baked dungeon designer where you piece together rooms from the game's dungeons (all pre-made) to create a custom dungeon and earn prizes. Also you can warp using the ocarina instead of walking to each warp portal. The dialogue is completely unchanged from LADX

Shapur

Postby Shapur » December 21st, 2020, 12:30 am

That’s been my feeling on it. I think I actually preferthe GBC graphics. Great game anyway but even $40 seems steep.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » December 21st, 2020, 2:53 am

It's a good kind of quaint.

The tiny tilt shift effect and the simple toy design is the closest I've come to seeing 8-bit charm translated into another medium.

If only the soundtrack could also recapture what made the original great.

It's trying way too hard to be simple, while the original was all about overcoming the limits of the sound chip.

And like Strat said, it plays so close to the original, that you should base your decision to buy or not it entirely on superficial reasons. (It also performs worse than the original, with noticeable frame drops when loading in new background data.)

Herschie

Postby Herschie » December 25th, 2020, 5:10 am

Shapur wrote:That’s been my feeling on it. I think I actually preferthe GBC graphics. Great game anyway but even $40 seems steep.

I agree. I wasn't a fan of the updated graphics, they seemed to have missed the mark. But then again you're talking to a guy who prefers the original N64 Zelda titles in 240p over the updated HD versions on the 3DS.

Now if they made a Master Quest like they did for Ocarina of Time, then that would hold my interest.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 25th, 2020, 12:12 pm

I feel like I should have asked for this for Christmas. Like all Nintendo games, the price never seems to go down, and I don't like spending $55+ on a game.

Return to “Now Playing”