2020/12/21: Saturn: Double Switch

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/12/21: Saturn: Double Switch

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 21st, 2020, 3:53 pm

Hard to believe I never reviewed this one previously. It's probably the best "classic" version of the game you can get. If you want the definitive version you might want to check out the 25th Anniversary edition released for several modern consoles. I'll be reviewing that one next.

Retro STrife

Re: 2020/12/21: Saturn: Double Switch

Postby Retro STrife » December 21st, 2020, 5:35 pm

I didn't even realize this game came out for Saturn. Thanks for the review. I have the Sega CD version, but I've never played it. This version sounds far more playable. As a Night Trap fan, I'd be interested in giving this one a shot or trying out the new release. This reminds me that I need to play Voyeur on the CD-i too.. I've been meaning to get to that one forever.

P.S. I know you're always looking for new gems with FMV scenes. You might like Off-World Interceptor on 3DO, PS1, and Saturn.. pretty funny game.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 21st, 2020, 7:10 pm

Retro,
Funny you should mention Off-World Interceptor. Yeah, that game IS funny. It's been in my review queue, ready to post, for at least a year! I'll try to get it out there soon.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 22nd, 2020, 9:28 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Retro,
Funny you should mention Off-World Interceptor. Yeah, that game IS funny. It's been in my review queue, ready to post, for at least a year! I'll try to get it out there soon.

Nice! Glad you got to try it out. I just watched the opening cut-scene yesterday to refresh my memory of the game (since, let's be honest, the cut-scenes are the main draw), and it was funnier than I remember. That's impressive by '90s video game standards, since genuine humor in video games was pretty non-existent back then.

One of the great mysteries about Off-World Interceptor is whether the cut-scenes were intentionally terrible so that the MST3K element could be used to riff off them, or if the developers realized their original cut-scenes were ridiculous and added the MST3K idea afterward.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 22nd, 2020, 3:43 pm

It's a fair point Retro, because the bad acting and over-the-top stereotypes were pretty much on par with other FMV games at the time!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 22nd, 2020, 4:40 pm

I certainly hope it's the latter. I much prefer to imagine that the actors are playing it straight in the original scenes, thinking they're getting their big break in a real acting role. Then the developers watch the finished product and are like "$#!% wth is this garbage we created, our careers are over..." And like some potheads in the back start making fun of the scenes as they're watching it and the producer is like "can you two shut up back ther-- waaait a second...."

And then the actors buy the game to watch the final product, only to witness them and their acting skills crapped on for 30 minutes... :lol:

It also makes the comedy more impressive if the riffs were written after the fact, rather than the scenes being created around the riffs. Either way I'm really interested in knowing, if anyone here happens to know the answer. If that was the real story, it definitely deserves a "Making of.." documentary.

EDIT: P.S. I googled for answers. Nothing conclusive found. However, I did learn that it's two very good comedians making fun of the scenes -- Doug Benson and Brian Posehn -- both pretty young comics back then, but that explains why the jokes are solid and well-told.

djc

Postby djc » December 23rd, 2020, 12:02 am

I actually like Double Switch more than Night Trap but probably because it's an easier game IMO. I do find the replay value a little limited with Double Switch though because there's only one ending vs. the several endings possible with Night Trap.

Anchoa79

Postby Anchoa79 » December 24th, 2020, 12:06 pm

Please VGC, you have to review a Gamecube game before the end of the year, it is almost the only system you haven´t reviewed any game during 2020. :(

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 24th, 2020, 12:26 pm

Wow, that is a very astute observation. As much as I love the GameCube (and its tiny discs) it tends to get lost in a limbo state between the PS2 and Xbox.

The PS2 is my default console for that era - it had the biggest library and its games are cheap. When graphics matter however, I like to get the Xbox versions of games.

Which leaves the GameCube out in the cold, except of course for the Nintendo exclusives.

I'll see what I can do! I am about to post a 32X review, so that's something.

Return to “Review Feedback”