Your favorite Christmas movies

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Zack Burner

Re: Your favorite Christmas movies

Postby Zack Burner » December 25th, 2020, 2:37 pm

newmodelarmy wrote:I liked all of the movies mentioned (well except for Bad Santa, have not seen it) but hands down my favorite is A Christmas Story. I just love that movie and it cracks me up each time I watch it. My favorite part is when he is helping the Old Man change the tire...classic. I would then have to go with Elf and then Home Alone for my top three.

Oh yeah, gotta love the Old Man, and all his cursing, and obsession with the leg lamp. My favorite is where Ralphie beats up Scott Farkus and leaves him with a bleeding nose, always has me stitches!

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » December 25th, 2020, 3:55 pm

Voor wrote:No Home Alone? Merry Christmas, ya filthy animals.

Home Alone is a classic. If I did top 5 favourites, I’d put Home Alone 2 in there at #5 just ahead of the original. The first is better, but the sequel feels more like a Christmas movie to me. If Elf doesn’t get picked, then my wife and I usually stick Hone Alone 2 on the tv whilst decorating the tree.

Bad Santa is another good Christmas movie, but I got to a stage where I just don’t wanna watch it during the holidays anymore. It’s just a bit too... seedy and depressing when I wanna be in a festive mood.

Not sure I’d consider it a classic yet, but the Netflix original Klaus released last year was pretty good.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » December 25th, 2020, 7:25 pm

Christmas Vacation
and the Reginald Owen version of Christmas Carol

noah98

Postby noah98 » December 25th, 2020, 11:25 pm

Probably Elf is my favorite. I really like Home Alone and the Muppet Christmas Carol as well.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 26th, 2020, 7:14 am

Krampus isn't bad, especially for the horror fans out there.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 26th, 2020, 10:30 am

Last night my wife and I watched Christmas Vacation and it occurred to me that the theme song to that movie is awesome. I ended up ordering a copy of the CD off Ebay.

We also watched The Grinch that Stole Christmas - the original animated cartoon. Man, that one always pulls at my heartstrings.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » December 26th, 2020, 11:37 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Last night my wife and I watched Christmas Vacation and it occurred to me that the theme song to that movie is awesome. I ended up ordering a copy of the CD off Ebay.

We also watched The Grinch that Stole Christmas - the original animated cartoon. Man, that one always pulls at my heartstrings.

Oh yes, the original cartoon version. Gotta love Boris Karloff (Frankenstein) as the Grinch himself!

Voor

Postby Voor » December 27th, 2020, 9:13 am

My favorite Christmas production is “Santa 85”, from the old series Amazing Stories, which I watched a lot as a kid.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » December 27th, 2020, 10:40 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Krampus isn't bad, especially for the horror fans out there.

I saw Krampus in the theater and thought it was a lot of fun. Hilarious opening credits with the classic Christmas music over chaos and violence during holiday shopping. The family dynamics before the creatures feature stuff begins have a bit of Christmas Vacation flavor, which was appreciated. I love the creature designs (especially the Krampus himself) and the short animated segment that illustrates the grandmother's past memories. It begins to run out of steam near the end but the conclusion has that Twilight Zone feel of endless dread that redeems it somewhat. I do prefer the director's previous film, Trick r Treat, maybe because he wasn't constrained by a PG-13 rating.

Tron

Postby Tron » December 28th, 2020, 7:09 pm

Good list

I LOVE Christmas Carol movies. I have 5 or 6 versions of them. Someday I’d like to do a Christmas Carol movie review rating them all.

The only movie mentioned I don’t like is “It’s a Wonderful Life”. Considering I like old better than new this is a rare exception. Very boring and the male actor is one of those guys that annoys me.

Add

Silent Night Deadly Night 1983

Great movie, great character development and it’s easy to understand why the main character does what he does. I especially love the toy store and seeing the old Jabba the Hut toys on the shelf. Be warned though Critic this is an 80’s movie that of course includes the obligatory nudie shots.

Return to “Other Media”