All the way through?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: All the way through?

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 31st, 2020, 7:13 am

nesfan - Your description sounds so good that now I need to play it!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 31st, 2020, 1:47 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:nesfan - Your description sounds so good that now I need to play it!

Yes! Highly recommended - Parasite Eve is a great game. It is an RPG at its core, but don't let that scare you away since it's very short by RPG standards (10-15 hours). It's also a survival-horror RPG, with guns as weapons, causing a lot of people to refer to it as a cross between Final Fantasy and Resident Evil.. And it's made by Squaresoft, the king of 32-bit RPGs, so you know it's a quality product with a solid story, CG scenes, and top-notch production values.

The sci-fi survival-horror story is pretty good - it follows rookie NYPD police officer Aya Brea over a six-day span in 1997 as she attempts to stop the Eve, a woman who plans to destroy the human race through spontaneous human combustion. As JRPGs go, it's short length and mainstream gameplay makes it a solid choice for gamers that aren't usually fans of the genre. Don't necessarily expect an all-time classic, but I think you'd appreciate and it's worth seeking out.

nesfan

Postby nesfan » December 31st, 2020, 4:02 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:nesfan - Your description sounds so good that now I need to play it!
As RetroSTrife said, I don't think the fact that it's an RPG should scare you off too much. I think it's different enough. It's got a battle system similar to Final Fantasy's ATB system. But you only control Aya so it gives you freedom of movement as well and there's a lot of dodging enemies that attack in patterns which usually aren't too hard to pick up on. Some of the later enemies and bosses in the EX game can be very hard to dodge, though. It does have the survival horror vibe too but I didn't find resource management to be too much of an issue. I mean, I never once found myself in a position where I needed to conserve ammo. The game is very generous with that. It's fairly short and even the EX game only took me around 22-23 hours and that involves the massive Chrysler building dungeon. One thing I neglected to mention in my original post that definitely needs mentioning. The music. The first thing that struck me about this game was the music. When I fired the game up for the first time, it did not take me long to say to myself "I need to find this soundtrack." I can't recommend it enough.

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » January 10th, 2021, 1:58 pm

Though I’ve finished it before , I went through Dante’s inferno again on ps3 and got all the trophies .
This is definetly a game I’d love to see remastered and wish they’d have made a sequel !

DialSforSam

Postby DialSforSam » January 10th, 2021, 7:30 pm

Recently finished The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past and Metroid on the Nintendo Switch Online service.

Metroid seemed a little tougher than I remembered.

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » January 20th, 2021, 11:22 pm

Just finished Riddled Corpses Ex on Ps4. Very fun old school shooter style game !

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » January 28th, 2021, 10:04 am

Finished God of War on the Vita this morning

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » January 30th, 2021, 9:09 pm

Finished Red Dead Redemption on PS3 .
Game still holds up well .
I had played it originally on my 360,
But been going through and playing
A lot on my PS3 lately and realized I
Never went through this one !

nesfan

Postby nesfan » February 4th, 2021, 6:21 pm

I just beat Fire Emblem for GBA.

nesfan

Postby nesfan » February 8th, 2021, 1:30 am

I just completed Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards. Out of the Kirby games I've played, this one is my favorite. I loved mixing power-ups and seeing what happens.

Return to “Video Games General”