Notifications and Private Messages?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Notifications and Private Messages?

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 4th, 2021, 7:22 pm

I noticed I have a few hundred "notifications" built up which I've never read. I also have bunch of private messages that I have never read.

Does anybody use this stuff? Can I turn these features off?

ActRaiser

Re: Notifications and Private Messages?

Postby ActRaiser » January 5th, 2021, 7:49 am

Sometimes. It's the way some members reach out to moderators. Similarly, members can reach out to one another directly. I've done that.

My vote is to keep it.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 5th, 2021, 9:31 am

The notifications are useful for sure. For example, if someone quoted your post (replying directly to you), it sends you a notification so that you know to go check it out. I like that feature because it keeps the discussion going, and we might otherwise miss the reply. There's other similar notifications too. So it's definitely helpful. Keep in mind, as the guy running the forum you're going to get a billion notifications, whereas a normal user might only get a few per week/month.

The private messages are used much less frequently. But it's a nice option to have - especially for the moderators - as it allows for private conversation if issues come up or anyone has something they need help with. Again, as the main guy you probably get inundated with PMs about tons of topics that the rest of us just wouldn't get. But it is useful to keep for the normal users.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » January 5th, 2021, 11:19 am

Ive tried sending PMs in the past, usually never got a response so I quit.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » January 5th, 2021, 12:04 pm

I've used the PM system (you got one from me the other day, Critic), mainly for things better discussed in private. And the notifications are useful. I'd say keep both, but of the two the more crucial one is the PMs.

BTW you can tell whether someone's read your PM by whether it's in the Outbox or Sent Messages box.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 5th, 2021, 3:52 pm

Okay I'll keep them. Just keep in mind I use neither so don't take it personal if you don't get a response from me!

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » January 6th, 2021, 6:17 pm

I posted you a star wars post when it was impossible to see the mandolorian on your network. Oh the Expanse is great. It is on prime. I have 92 notifications.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » January 6th, 2021, 6:44 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Okay I'll keep them. Just keep in mind I use neither so don't take it personal if you don't get a response from me!

One thing I'd suggest is that, if you don't check PMs, I'd be sure to make it very clear that email (I assume that's what you prefer?) is the best way to contact you in private.

Many forum owners want it the other way around -- PMs for most stuff, email only for something urgent or specifically personal -- so I think plenty of people coming by here will normally assume that a PM is the way to reach you.

Some people also use secondary or tertiary email addresses for forum accounts, so email can be a bit inconvenient if you're someone who prefers to keep their real name, etc. private.

I used to use my real (as in primary) email address on most forums, but gradually shifted away from doing that when it became clear that, as with anything, there were a few admin on a few sites whom I wouldn't trust with my real contact info. (Not an issue here, fortunately!)

Return to “Video Games General”