Systems the Critic Has Not Covered (Yet)

General and high profile video game topics.
MSR1701

Systems the Critic Has Not Covered (Yet)

Postby MSR1701 » January 12th, 2021, 7:51 am

Looking at the very wide coverage of systems on this site, I realized that there are VERY few systems that the Critic has not covered or reviewed at some point. Excluding Micro computers, here are the consoles and portables that the Critic has not reviewed (Yet) that come to mind:

Nokia N-Gage
GamePark GP32
Commodore Amiga CD32
Pioneer Laseractive (Heaven help your wallet...)
Bandai Wonderswan/Color/SwanCrystal

goldenband

Re: Systems the Critic Has Not Covered (Yet)

Postby goldenband » January 12th, 2021, 11:07 am

The biggest other one that comes to my mind is the RCA Studio II. Then there are a plethora of marginal or low-visibility systems like the Mattel Hyperscan, Sega Pico, Nuon, Watara Supervision, etc.

It'd also be fun to see an AdventureVision or RDI Halcyon review but economically impossible, of course.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 12th, 2021, 11:43 am

goldenband wrote:The biggest other one that comes to my mind is the RCA Studio II. Then there are a plethora of marginal or low-visibility systems like the Mattel Hyperscan, Sega Pico, Nuon, Watara Supervision, etc.

It'd also be fun to see an AdventureVision or RDI Halcyon review but economically impossible, of course.

I keep forgetting the Halcyon had a release...

goldenband

Postby goldenband » January 12th, 2021, 12:06 pm

MSR1701 wrote:I keep forgetting the Halcyon had a release...

I think it didn't quite make it to market, right? Some sort of manufacturing and packaging got underway but maybe never past the prototype stage. There's someone on the scene who has an encyclopedic knowledge of the Halcyon and tons of documents from RDI; he could say better than I can.

Fortunately, one of the two completed games, Thayer's Quest, was retooled into Kingdom: The Far Reaches, which is available on 3DO and CD-i. The sequel is also on CD-i (Kingdom II: Shadoan). I've been gently encouraging the Critic to review them for some time, as they're great period pieces and have an endearing nostalgia about them.

The other Halycon game was a football title, NFL Football: Chargers vs. Raiders, and both that game and Thayer's Quest made it into arcades. Not sure if it was ever released on another console. The footage would have been dated by the time home consoles that could play FMV became a "thing" at last, but then again there were other sports titles that used archival footage, like NFL's Greatest: San Francisco vs. Dallas 1978-1993 on the Sega CD.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 12th, 2021, 1:04 pm

goldenband wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:I keep forgetting the Halcyon had a release...

I think it didn't quite make it to market, right? Some sort of manufacturing and packaging got underway but maybe never past the prototype stage. There's someone on the scene who has an encyclopedic knowledge of the Halcyon and tons of documents from RDI; he could say better than I can.

Fortunately, one of the two completed games, Thayer's Quest, was retooled into Kingdom: The Far Reaches, which is available on 3DO and CD-i. The sequel is also on CD-i (Kingdom II: Shadoan). I've been gently encouraging the Critic to review them for some time, as they're great period pieces and have an endearing nostalgia about them.

The other Halycon game was a football title, NFL Football: Chargers vs. Raiders, and both that game and Thayer's Quest made it into arcades. Not sure if it was ever released on another console. The footage would have been dated by the time home consoles that could play FMV became a "thing" at last, but then again there were other sports titles that used archival footage, like NFL's Greatest: San Francisco vs. Dallas 1978-1993 on the Sega CD.

I want to say Halcyon did get a release, unlike the Control-Vision from a similar concept

Mpls_Vato

Postby Mpls_Vato » January 12th, 2021, 1:25 pm

What about the Commodore Vic-20!?

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 12th, 2021, 1:32 pm

Credit to the VGC - when you look at the list of systems not covered, it really speaks to the impressive list of systems that are covered. We've had similar topics like this in the past, and the Critic tends to indicate he's all systemed-out at this point. But then something like the SG-1000 comes along to pique his interest.. so who knows!

There's a ton of obscure and unheard of systems out there, especially when you look worldwide. The vast majority would not have any value in covering, except maybe for curiosity sake. My one exception is that the Nokia N-Gage is a legit system that I think would interest the VGC if he looked at the library of games. It's actually pretty impressive, since many big name developers gave the N-Gage a shot before it died out. Plus, it was actually a pretty mainstream system at the time it existed. There's a few other systems that maybe could be worth considering (Wonderswan, Amiga CD32, etc.), but I'd go N-Gage first. But don't take my word for it; check out Wikipedia's list of N-Gage games: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N-Gage_games

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 12th, 2021, 1:32 pm

goldenband wrote:The biggest other one that comes to my mind is the RCA Studio II. Then there are a plethora of marginal or low-visibility systems like the Mattel Hyperscan, Sega Pico, Nuon, Watara Supervision, etc.

It's a small consolation, but if you're interested in some in-depth RCA Studio II reviews, check out this post of mine in Reader Reviews. I reviewed the system and a bunch of games: https://videogamecritic.com/forums/view ... 90&t=16191

As for the other systems you mention, I have each of those and have considered doing a similar write-up with them that I did for the Studio II. With the Nuon, I went as far as playing each of the games and taking notes for reviews, but then never got around to writing them up.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 12th, 2021, 1:45 pm

Retro STrife wrote:Credit to the VGC - when you look at the list of systems not covered, it really speaks to the impressive list of systems that are covered. We've had similar topics like this in the past, and the Critic tends to indicate he's all systemed-out at this point. But then something like the SG-1000 comes along to pique his interest.. so who knows!

There's a ton of obscure and unheard of systems out there, especially when you look worldwide. The vast majority would not have any value in covering, except maybe for curiosity sake. My one exception is that the Nokia N-Gage is a legit system that I think would interest the VGC if he looked at the library of games. It's actually pretty impressive, since many big name developers gave the N-Gage a shot before it died out. Plus, it was actually a pretty mainstream system at the time it existed. There's a few other systems that maybe could be worth considering (Wonderswan, Amiga CD32, etc.), but I'd go N-Gage first. But don't take my word for it; check out Wikipedia's list of N-Gage games: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N-Gage_games

I agree in many ways...

I would also suggest a Wonderswan Color as a pickup to review, for even though virtually all are in Japanese, there are many that can be enjoyed without needing to know Japanese. Such examples include the Ghost n Ghouls game, Rockman and Forte, Pocket Fighter, both Guilty Gear games and Tetris, to name a few.

And if the NGage is reviewed, hopefully a QD is ised and not The Taco...

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » January 12th, 2021, 1:54 pm

Some Japanese systems, like the Casio PV-1000, Cassette Vision, Super Casette Vision, Tomy Puter Jr, etc.

Return to “Video Games General”