Systems the Critic Has Not Covered (Yet)

General and high profile video game topics.
MSR1701

Re: Systems the Critic Has Not Covered (Yet)

Postby MSR1701 » January 12th, 2021, 1:57 pm

Also "officially" reviewing Evercade carts. :)

goldenband

Postby goldenband » January 12th, 2021, 2:40 pm

Retro STrife wrote:It's a small consolation, but if you're interested in some in-depth RCA Studio II reviews, check out this post of mine in Reader Reviews. I reviewed the system and a bunch of games: https://videogamecritic.com/forums/view ... 90&t=16191

As for the other systems you mention, I have each of those and have considered doing a similar write-up with them that I did for the Studio II. With the Nuon, I went as far as playing each of the games and taking notes for reviews, but then never got around to writing them up.

Thanks for the link -- I think I remember reading and enjoying those Studio II reviews. :)

If you can spare the time, please do write up those notes and do a guest review set for the Nuon! That'd be a nice addition to the site especially since (unlike some of the consoles mentioned) it's a North American-released system that isn't mainly focused on education. Too bad that Korean-exclusive Crayon Shin-Chan game is incompatible and undumped, it's the only missing piece.
Last edited by goldenband on January 12th, 2021, 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 12th, 2021, 3:48 pm

MSR1701 wrote:I would also suggest a Wonderswan Color as a pickup to review, for even though virtually all are in Japanese, there are many that can be enjoyed without needing to know Japanese. Such examples include the Ghost n Ghouls game, Rockman and Forte, Pocket Fighter, both Guilty Gear games and Tetris, to name a few.

And if the NGage is reviewed, hopefully a QD is ised and not The Taco...

Agreed on both fronts. I definitely went with the QD for my N-Gage and would recommend the same. For my Wonderswan Color, it took a bit of legwork, but I ended up with about 15 to 20 English-friendly games. So it's doable. Naturally, I had to skip the popular Japanese RPGs on the system due to the language barrier.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 12th, 2021, 3:54 pm

Retro STrife wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:I would also suggest a Wonderswan Color as a pickup to review, for even though virtually all are in Japanese, there are many that can be enjoyed without needing to know Japanese. Such examples include the Ghost n Ghouls game, Rockman and Forte, Pocket Fighter, both Guilty Gear games and Tetris, to name a few.

And if the NGage is reviewed, hopefully a QD is ised and not The Taco...

Agreed on both fronts. I definitely went with the QD for my N-Gage and would recommend the same. For my Wonderswan, it took a bit of legwork, but I ended up with about 15 to 20 English-friendly games. So it's doable. Naturally, I had to skip the popular Japanese RPGs on the system due to the language barrier.

I can play thru much of Final Fantasy I with guesswork, though I am NOT going to repeat my insanity of 15 years ago and play Final Fantasy II on the Swan...

goldenband

Postby goldenband » January 12th, 2021, 4:01 pm

There used to be -- and to paraphrase Mitch Hedberg, still is -- a great review series on YouTube called Swan Song that's dedicated to the WonderSwan and its hardware.

Unfortunately the series never got a tenth as many views as it should, and the author, Yanik Magnan, seems to have given up on it for now after running into some technical problems. But he got 61 reviews done and those are still well worth checking out:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 4wXMDqUb0I

Maybe he'll come back someday? A few other library coverage projects mysteriously resurfaced in recent months, thanks no doubt to the pandemic and people thinking "Hmmm, why don't I start back up again?", which was a nice surprise when it happened.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 13th, 2021, 6:00 am

Love Hedberg: “I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.” Lol. RIP

(Sorry for the random thread detour).

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 13th, 2021, 6:35 am

Voor wrote:Love Hedberg: “I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.” Lol. RIP

(Sorry for the random thread detour).

Favorite comedian; saw him live a few months before his death. Sadly he was a high/drunk mess on stage that night and many others leading up to his death..

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 13th, 2021, 6:38 am

Random happens

Mpls_Vato

Postby Mpls_Vato » January 13th, 2021, 11:33 am

“ An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience.”

-Mitch Hedberg (RIP)

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » January 13th, 2021, 12:47 pm

I think the critic should start looking into MAME and reviewing some old, obscure arcade games. There are thousands to check out. I've been enjoying playing through my system and finding weird or wacky games.

For example, Pirates (1994) feels like a hidden gem that would be right up his alley.

Return to “Video Games General”