Megaman Xtreme (GBC)

The readers post their own reviews.
hi there

Megaman Xtreme (GBC)

Postby hi there » December 23rd, 2006, 3:14 pm

[IMG]http://img.shopping.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/177X150/00/01/44/4d/d5/21253589.JPG[/IMG]

[b]Gameplay: 5/10[/b]
Basically, this game contains levels ported from Megaman X, X2, and X3. It uses the same gameplay elements as those games. You go through a level, beat a boss at the end, get that bosses weapon, and use it to beat a boss that has a weakness to that weapon.
But the exessive amount of cheap hits really drag this game down. One of the problems is with the stage traps. The traps usually surprise you,, as you can't see where they are coming from. This can also be blamed on the awful wall jump controls. X slides down the wall too slowly and jumps off the wall too quickly. He also seems to have trouble keeping his footing when he's on the wall.
Sometimes i had trouble seeing projectiles, as they blend into the backround.
But, the main problem is with the bosses. They have an exessively large live meter. Not only this, but most of their attacks appear without warning, give you little time to dodge, and rip a large chunk out of their life meter. Often, you can only take 3 or 4 hits before you die. This all adds up to an unfair and maddning difficulty level.

[b]Graphics 6/10[/b]
The graphics are about 8-bit in quality, but you will easily reconize the areas and enemies if you have played the games that they appeared in.
This, however, has got to be the most flickery thing i've ever seen. Charaters and projectiles often flash or vanish completely.

[b]Sound 7/10[/b]
The music is only about 8-bit in quality, but the renditions of the 16-bit tunes are outstanding, and are easy to reconize. The sounds are hollow, annoying, and don't sound like any effort was put into them.

[b]Replay 4/10[/b]
You can unlock a hard mode with new bosses and levels if you beat the game, but the cheap hits are too frustrating, and you will tire of this game quickly.

[b]Overall[/b]
[b]5/10[/b]
[b]Not an average[/b]

Alienblue

Megaman Xtreme (GBC)

Postby Alienblue » December 24th, 2006, 6:21 am

Nice Review, but as a long time reviewer and reader myself, two critiques: First, the megaman BOX photo is annoying. Most of us want to see a screenshot; if you don't have a screenshot stick with text. We don't need to see the BOX. Also, I'm not a fan of seperating the text into SOUND, GRAPHICS, etc..., just write on, man, and let the words flow from your er..WP! You can mention these things as you go. "Controls are fine. The graphics are.."

Other than that, I couldn't agree more, the Megaman X games are "OK" but really sub-par compared to the original MM games. I have the MMX collection on PS2, and only 3 & 4 were even playable, and as you said, they had cheap hits and wickedly hard boss fights!

hi there

Megaman Xtreme (GBC)

Postby hi there » December 24th, 2006, 11:04 am

[QUOTE=Alienblue]
Other than that, I couldn't agree more, the Megaman X games are "OK" but really sub-par compared to the original MM games. I have the MMX collection on PS2, and only 3 & 4 were even playable, and as you said, they had cheap hits and wickedly hard boss fights![/QUOTE]

You're talking about 5 & 6. (Without the boss fight problem.)

Alienblue

Megaman Xtreme (GBC)

Postby Alienblue » December 24th, 2006, 1:22 pm

Hi there, hi there.....ummmmmmm, no, I just booted up my PS2 Disc, I was correct. MegamanX 1 & 2 were SNES , 3 & 4 were PSX and 5 & 6 were low budget PSX titles universely hated - they don't even have the opening animation of 3 & 4! MMX 3 was just barely ok, I had some fun with it, but MMX 4 REALLY is the only game on the PS2 Disc worth the purchase.... the graphics are AWESOME, with the searchlights and monster on the first level, BIG sprites and great music, plus you can choose to play Zero from the start! I still could not beat the Dragon boss at the end of level one though!- if you played this....any tips?

(BTW, there is a seventh, "kart" game on the disc that must be unlocked...)

hi there

Megaman Xtreme (GBC)

Postby hi there » December 25th, 2006, 3:06 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]Hi there, hi there.....ummmmmmm, no, I just booted up my PS2 Disc, I was correct. MegamanX 1 & 2 were SNES , 3 & 4 were PSX QUOTE]

No, 3 was an SNES game, they just inserted crappy videos and ported it to the PSX.

Alienblue

Megaman Xtreme (GBC)

Postby Alienblue » December 26th, 2006, 5:15 am

Whatever....I don't pretend to be a Megaman Historian (mario, yes, MM, no) .... all I know is I never really liked the MMX series, having tried 1 & 2 on my SNES back in the day, they were too different from the NES MM's I knew and loved (especially MM2!) .... all I know is, I got this collection on sale for $20, and of the six games available on it (plus the unlockable) the only two I played more than ONCE have been MM3 and 4! I guess the graphics on 3 COULD pass for an SNES game... good animation though... but 4 is DEFFINITELY a PSX game, and a great- if a tad too difficult- one!

Adamant1

Megaman Xtreme (GBC)

Postby Adamant1 » December 30th, 2006, 12:10 pm

The Mega Man series really started to decline around that time - after Mega Man X4, it took until Mega Man Zero for the GBA before we got another good game in the series.

hi there

Megaman Xtreme (GBC)

Postby hi there » December 30th, 2006, 10:30 pm

[QUOTE=Adamant]The Mega Man series really started to decline around that time - after Mega Man X4, it took until Mega Man Zero for the GBA before we got another good game in the series.[/QUOTE]

What about Mega man 8?

Adamant1

Megaman Xtreme (GBC)

Postby Adamant1 » December 31st, 2006, 9:28 am

MM8, while certainly better than the later MMX games, was in no way comparable to the earlier games in the series.
Neither was MM7, really, but it was better than 8, and there were great MMX games released both right before and right after it.

feilong801

Megaman Xtreme (GBC)

Postby feilong801 » January 1st, 2007, 2:34 am

I always thought Megaman was one of the more overrated series of games. The NES games were classics, but they never really took that series to another level. If you look at other big, long running franchises, there came a time when they transitioned beyond the gameplay that they started with. They still hearkened back to the originals, but revolutionized the series at the same time(Ocarina of Time, Mario64, Metroid Prime, etc.).

Megaman finally did this was the excellent Battle Network Games, but those are GBA and DS titles. I'd love to see them reinvent Megaman (one of the coolest characters in gaming) on the new-gen systems.

-Rob

Return to “Reader Reviews”