Super Mario Kart (Super Nintendo)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

Super Mario Kart (Super Nintendo)

Postby Herschie » February 21st, 2021, 9:01 am

Timing has never been my thing. I promised my wife that I would quit with the reefer, whiskey, and cigars after the Super Bowl, though it just dawned on me that I didn't say exactly after which Super Bowl. And with a clean bill of health after a recent doctor's visit, it's quite tempting to head to the dispensary, then to Binny's, and finally Rocky Patel cigars, which is near where I live.

Especially with this rave mix from 1992 I found on Youtube. Holy moly this thing is intense! Now given that it's from 1992, you're probably beginning to understand why I chose this particular game. Hey, I like to keep things historically accurate!

In reality, I actually played this a lot in 1998. Usually after smoking the aforementioned reefer at a friend's house while listening to house music and playing Mariokart 64. I was in high school at the time, and couldn't afford N64 until my tax refund in 1999. But this wasn't a bad alternative, not by a long shot.

I always picked Koopa for some reason, and even though Luigi is his rival, I always seemed to lose to Yoshi. To this day I consider Yoshi my Mario Kart Rival. Maybe the weed got to my head. The tracks are fun, and by playing the N64 version at my friend's house, I quickly learned to start looking for shortcuts. In the 64 version, I was always fascinated with the drifting while I was strung out and how you saw the VEEEEEEE as you did it, but on the SNES it's much more difficult to pull off, and really only useful in certain situations. Often you get the timing wrong and end up off the track or veering into an item that someone dropped.

And though I had seen the N64 game, I was impressed with the Mode 7 feature this game had to offer. I grew up on the NES, and to this day things like that still amaze me. Actually I wonder what Mariokart would have looked like on the NES? Something like Rad Racer or RC Pro Am?

I'd have to say that this is the most difficult Mariokart game out there, but that doesn't mean that it's not incredibly fun.

Also I'd like to say that I know that my reviews tend to be more about the time in which I first played and not so much about the game itself. I just assume that most of us have played the games I'm talking about, and to me it's more about the nostalgic feelings that they bring back. The good times I had with friends playing basketball outside, the once in a blue moon some girl actually liked me, drinking with my neighbors by the pool, even all the trouble I got into at school. These games really do take me back.

And I love weed. Always have, always will.

Zack Burner

Re: Super Mario Kart (Super Nintendo)

Postby Zack Burner » February 21st, 2021, 9:18 am

Ah yes, Good old Super Mario Kart, the original kart racer! I have always loved this racer more than any other, times spent with friends...Where does the time go? I usually picked either Mario or Yoshi, the all-arounder and the speedster. My favorite powerup was the red shell. I always loved the Bowser's Castle setting with a nice theme of Bowser for background music.

Voor

Postby Voor » February 21st, 2021, 9:54 am

I’ve been playing MK8D a lot recently and was thinking about which versions were my favorite. And to be honest, they are all great. I think if I were stuck with one, aside from the SNES and GBA one, I’d be perfectly content.

64 is probably my favorite still, and I have a soft spot for 7, but we tried 200cc on Deluxe, and wow, that is fun! My only issue is that it tends to go overboard on customization stuff, which I’ve never cared about.

To the OP, good luck with your love affair with weed. It (along with your other vices) were never my thing, but you seem to get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Lol. Just be careful, often other
People can get kind of tired of it and some related things as we get older.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » February 23rd, 2021, 8:35 am

Voor wrote:To the OP, good luck with your love affair with weed. It (along with your other vices) were never my thing, but you seem to get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Lol. Just be careful, often other
People can get kind of tired of it and some related things as we get older.

Unfortunately that's true for video games as well. I get it and I also know I'm playing some games I played when I was six (My Hero and Phantasy Star). What can I say? However I have been stone sober for over two weeks now. I do and I don't miss my vices. It's warmed up a bit in Chicago, so I would like a cigar, since I always enjoyed smoking outside.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » February 23rd, 2021, 9:02 am

Zack Burner wrote:Where does the time go?

Exactly. That's why I love these classic games, they're a way to really take you back. I don't mean to be talking about my drug habits so much, but that's exactly what I was doing at the time I played this. Sort of like my addiction to peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with Ruffles gets talked about when I write about Master System games.

Zack Burner wrote:I always loved the Bowser's Castle setting with a nice theme of Bowser for background music.

I definitely did not like those indented corners where I'd get trapped in, usually in the fifth lap :lol: :lol: :lol: . Actually, I loved Bowser's Castle in Double Dash because I'd always use Diddy Kong with those huge bananas right before each and every jump. I lost more friends doing that than I did when I started talking about politics.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » February 23rd, 2021, 11:44 am

Herschie wrote:Timing has never been my thing. I promised my wife that I would quit with the reefer, whiskey, and cigars after the Super Bowl, though it just dawned on me that I didn't say exactly after which Super Bowl. And with a clean bill of health after a recent doctor's visit, it's quite tempting to head to the dispensary, then to Binny's, and finally Rocky Patel cigars, which is near where I live.

Especially with this rave mix from 1992 I found on Youtube. Holy moly this thing is intense! Now given that it's from 1992, you're probably beginning to understand why I chose this particular game. Hey, I like to keep things historically accurate!

In reality, I actually played this a lot in 1998. Usually after smoking the aforementioned reefer at a friend's house while listening to house music and playing Mariokart 64. I was in high school at the time, and couldn't afford N64 until my tax refund in 1999. But this wasn't a bad alternative, not by a long shot.

I always picked Koopa for some reason, and even though Luigi is his rival, I always seemed to lose to Yoshi. To this day I consider Yoshi my Mario Kart Rival. Maybe the weed got to my head. The tracks are fun, and by playing the N64 version at my friend's house, I quickly learned to start looking for shortcuts. In the 64 version, I was always fascinated with the drifting while I was strung out and how you saw the VEEEEEEE as you did it, but on the SNES it's much more difficult to pull off, and really only useful in certain situations. Often you get the timing wrong and end up off the track or veering into an item that someone dropped.

And though I had seen the N64 game, I was impressed with the Mode 7 feature this game had to offer. I grew up on the NES, and to this day things like that still amaze me. Actually I wonder what Mariokart would have looked like on the NES? Something like Rad Racer or RC Pro Am?

I'd have to say that this is the most difficult Mariokart game out there, but that doesn't mean that it's not incredibly fun.

Also I'd like to say that I know that my reviews tend to be more about the time in which I first played and not so much about the game itself. I just assume that most of us have played the games I'm talking about, and to me it's more about the nostalgic feelings that they bring back. The good times I had with friends playing basketball outside, the once in a blue moon some girl actually liked me, drinking with my neighbors by the pool, even all the trouble I got into at school. These games really do take me back.

And I love weed. Always have, always will.

Hershie, I'm a fellow cigar smoker as well. I'm a pretty moderate smoker, usually 1 cigar per week during the spring/summer months and the occasional small cigar during the winter months (no more than 1 per month).

It's a hobby I really enjoy, I keep it in check and that's why I limit myself to 1 per week during the nicer weather. Same with drinking, I make sure I have no more than 1 drink per night (usually only have a drink 5 days of the week). Everything is moderation

I currently have a 50 count humidor and when full will last me almost 2 years. Favourite cigars are Alec Bradley Tempus, Padron 1964 and Oliva V.

Hopefully you'll be able to partake again on a occassional basis!

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » February 24th, 2021, 2:32 pm

I gotta be honest. I never played this one as a kid. Mainly because I was a Genesis owner. and a lot of my friends I knocked around with were also Genesis owners as well. So I definitely missed the boat on this one first time around. However, I have the ROM for it on an SD card and I really enjoy playing it on my computer via an emulator occasion. It's a really good racer, and one of the few I'm actually good at. :D

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 24th, 2021, 7:20 pm

You could almost feel the bumps as you rumbled over the wooden tracks.

Hagane

Postby Hagane » February 25th, 2021, 8:30 am

Technology evolved a lot, but I always find myself going back to the first Super Mario Kart, the genious lies in its simplicity, its the one that most resembles an actual kart racing: shorter tracks and without spamming exaggerated itens like blue shell or 3 red shells everywhere, it relies more on your driving skills.

There is something to be said when you're on second place final lap and only have a single green shell and you need to win, very tense.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » February 25th, 2021, 9:57 am

bluenote wrote:Hopefully you'll be able to partake again on a occassional basis!

Yeah no kidding. One time Harry Caray's doctor advised that he quit drinking, so Harry did. A reporter caught up with him shortly after outside of Wrigley Field and asked how sobriety was. Harry said that he'd never been so bored in his entire life. And he died in 1998 at age 83, so maybe all that Budweiser that had him soused by the sixth inning wasn't so bad.

Steve Stone loved cigars and is still going strong at 73.

VideoGameCritic wrote:You could almost feel the bumps as you rumbled over the wooden tracks.

That Mode-7 was great! You know I still get impressed with things like that, I'm sure anyone who grew up on NES or before feels the same. Even N64 games I get low-key impressed with the graphics, even though they're outdated by a quarter of a century.

I can only imagine how neat of a game " Night Driver" must have been back in 1980.

lynchie137 wrote:I gotta be honest. I never played this one as a kid. Mainly because I was a Genesis owner. and a lot of my friends I knocked around with were also Genesis owners as well. So I definitely missed the boat on this one first time around.

I'm still trying to find a good racing game on the Genesis. You'd think with the good ones out for the Master System it'd be easy. If there are any, I'm all ears since I now have that terrific Mega SD Flash Cart.

Ditto if you know of any on the Sega CD.

Return to “Now Playing”