Games Made For Other Systems

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Games Made For Other Systems

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 4th, 2021, 4:33 pm

So I've run into a bit of a quandary while picking up Limited Run titles. I have two games that run on modern systems but were designed to run on the NES.

First is Double Dragon 4, which I have on a PS4 disc.

Next is Jay and Silent Bob Mall Brawl, which I have for the Switch.

It has occurred to me it would be unfair to grade these games by Switch or PS4 standards, so I think I'm going to have to post them in the NES section.

It's a bit unfortunately, since if someone has the PS4 version, they're probably not going to find this review.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Cafeman

Re: Games Made For Other Systems

Postby Cafeman » March 4th, 2021, 4:43 pm

That, sir, is a three pipe problem.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » March 4th, 2021, 5:39 pm

What's stopping you from putting them in both? Grade them on the system they were originally designed for, but post an indentical review on the new system you played them on with an NA grade and a link to the original system review.

txsizzler

Postby txsizzler » March 5th, 2021, 12:38 am

Put it on the system it was made for, in this case the PS4 and the Switch. When you grade Atari compilations, you don’t stick it in it 2600 section. This is no different. The value of the game is still there is the gameplay and price reflect what you are getting.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » March 5th, 2021, 10:02 am

txsizzler wrote:Put it on the system it was made for, in this case the PS4 and the Switch. When you grade Atari compilations, you don’t stick it in it 2600 section. This is no different. The value of the game is still there is the gameplay and price reflect what you are getting.

I agree with this. It will only be confusing when you put a game in a platform section it wasn't actually released for.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » March 5th, 2021, 10:27 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:First is Double Dragon 4, which I have on a PS4 disc.

Double Dragon 4's a cheat, since there's no way that thing's running on an NES. Not without some compromises.

In fact, that's my biggest issue with it. Instead of using the extra power to enhance a carefully crafted pixel art aesthetic like Shovel Knight and Bloodstained, their idea of improving on the NES was simply running their high resolution background art through a "pixelate" filter.

They don't even try to clean it up afterwards.

The pixels are really uneven and sloppy in places; it's worse than Symphony of the Night on the Saturn.

The game also ignores sprite and RAM limits for fun, which is far more reasonable, at least.
Last edited by ThePixelatedGenocide on March 8th, 2021, 2:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

noah98

Postby noah98 » March 5th, 2021, 11:52 am

Jay and Silent Bob is an nes game emulated on Switch/PS4. I think you should review it in the same way you review other emulated compilations or ports.

Double Dragon 4 was designed to mimic the style of an nes game, but was not released on the nes and would need to be ported to run on the nes. That game should be reviewed in the same way you would review a game like Axiom Verge, Shovel Knight, etc. A new game that has a retro style for the system you are playing it on.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » March 6th, 2021, 2:31 pm

txsizzler wrote:Put it on the system it was made for, in this case the PS4 and the Switch. When you grade Atari compilations, you don’t stick it in it 2600 section. This is no different. The value of the game is still there is the gameplay and price reflect what you are getting.

I can see the logic in this, but I also think it is different. These aren't reviews of compilations or greatest hits. They are games that were never released on the original system, so the review isn't about how well they were emulated on a new generation. They also aren't like Shovel Knight or other current generation games that are designed for the the current gen they run on and are created to look and play like their 8- or 16-bit ancestors.

I think they are NES (or whatever console/generation) games that should be compared to their actual peers. To me, they are more comparable to ROMs that have been played via an everdrive or something. And those are in the native consoles games/grades.

noah98

Postby noah98 » March 6th, 2021, 3:08 pm

Breaker wrote:

I can see the logic in this, but I also think it is different. These aren't reviews of compilations or greatest hits. They are games that were never released on the original system, so the review isn't about how well they were emulated on a new generation. They also aren't like Shovel Knight or other current generation games that are designed for the the current gen they run on and are created to look and play like their 8- or 16-bit ancestors.

I think they are NES (or whatever console/generation) games that should be compared to their actual peers. To me, they are more comparable to ROMs that have been played via an everdrive or something. And those are in the native consoles games/grades.

I can see your logic for Jay and Silent Bob since it is an emulated nes rom. But why Double Dragon 4? That doesn't run on any classic system, just the modern ones. It's made to look like an nes game, but it is a modern game, not a rom. There are tons of modern games that look like retro games, but they aren't reviewed based on what classic system they most resemble in graphics.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » March 6th, 2021, 4:10 pm

Yeah, sorry Noah98, I basically parroted your response since I accidentally saved my response as a draft rather than posting it yesterday, then posted it without reading the updated thread today.

Agree, if DD4 isn't an NES game but is more like Shovel Knight, etc, then it should go in the PS4 catalog.

Return to “Video Games General”