2021/3/6: Genesis: Rocket Knight Adventures, Sparkster

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2021/3/6: Genesis: Rocket Knight Adventures, Sparkster

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 6th, 2021, 2:06 pm

I re-reviewed Rocket Knight. Sorry peeps. Still a C game. Don't hate me.
Also reviewed its rare sequel, Sparkster.
Comments?

Buttermancan

Re: 2021/3/6: Genesis: Rocket Knight Adventures, Sparkster

Postby Buttermancan » March 7th, 2021, 3:28 am

I remember a friend getting this when we were kids. I thought it looked great (like a Disney cartoon) but it was difficult to play. I never borrowed it off him so I couldn't have been that impressed with it.
I think you've reviewed this well covering the issues that many have experienced whilst highlighting it's great visuals.
I still want to give this one a shot at some stage.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » March 7th, 2021, 10:03 am

I have no nostalgic feelings for these games, because I played them a lot later. I love Rocket Knight Adventures, A material for me, that game makes me feel like a kid again. I love the graphics, control, level design and characters. On the other hand, I dislike Sparkster; I don't like the way it controls and I don't like the level design; agree with the D score.

VicViper

Postby VicViper » March 7th, 2021, 11:55 am

I think it'd be interesting to check out Sparkster on SNES too, because it's a completely different game.
I mean, it's still the same genre, but level design is 100% different, and it sticks closer to RKA than Genesis Sparkster.

From what I've read on other forum boards, older publications tend to prefer Genesis Sparkster because it was taking the gameplay of RKA and pushing it further with new elements, while SNES Sparkster just sticks to RKA's gameplay and is overall more generic, and seems to be developed for people who didn't/couldn't play the first game.

That being said, as far as "story" goes, Genesis Sparkster is the true sequel to RKA, being even subtitled "Rocket Knight Adventures II" in some regions.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » March 7th, 2021, 12:01 pm

Neither are great games but in a crowded genre on the Genesis they both managed to pop out from the crowd. The audio visuals are far above average for the time. I would be tempted to give Rocket Knight a B- for being very well polished, but as per the VGC review, not quite my cup of tea.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » March 7th, 2021, 3:28 pm

I've never felt compelled to put serious effort into beating Rocket Knight Adventures, partly because it's yet another example of a game whose difficulty was unnecessarily cranked up to punish the US game rental market:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/rocket ... dventures/

https://tcrf.net/Rocket_Knight_Adventures

On the US version, you can't even get an ending if you play the game on the Japanese version's equivalent of "Normal" -- now dubbed "Children"!

Return to “Review Feedback”