12/27/2006: Super Nintendo: NHL Stanley Cup, Star Fox, Vortex

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 27th, 2006, 6:24 pm

I really do like Star Fox, but like most early polygon games, it's lost a bit of luster over the years.  The other two games just stink.  Post your comments here.

Leo Ames

Postby Leo Ames » December 27th, 2006, 6:32 pm

Thought I'd add that 1st person view in Star Fox is only available in space levels, your review makes it sound like its available on every level.

I've been a big fan of this game since it was new, I've never noticed any slow down and such. Is it really that bad and I'm just blind to it since I like it so much?

Michael Danehy

Postby Michael Danehy » December 27th, 2006, 8:01 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]I really do like Star Fox, but like most early polygon games, it's lost a bit of luster over the years.  The other two games just stink.  Post your comments here.
[/QUOTE]

The Critic is funny. This line made me laugh out loud: 'The moves look horrific, and when you perform a "hip check", it looks like you're trying to rub your butt on an opponent! That really stinks!'

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » December 27th, 2006, 11:46 pm

Typo alert!

"They're mainly they're..." should read "They're mainly there..."

hi there

Postby hi there » December 28th, 2006, 12:42 am

So when is everybody going to yell "OMG GENESIS IS BETTER"?

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » December 28th, 2006, 5:31 am

[QUOTE=hi there]

So when is everybody going to yell "OMG GENESIS IS BETTER"?

[/QUOTE]

Never ever!

Nintendo is what Genesisn't.

andrew

Postby andrew » December 28th, 2006, 10:59 am

I don't agree with your Stanley cup rating critic.  Obviously i'm not going to play it over its counterpart nhl '94 when wanting to play vintage hockey but the game has some charm. I see you don't seem to like mode 7 games very much. It's a pain to play at times but it does provide a unique hockey experience. That should warrant a few points. I find after some time the game begins to flow well and start to be some fun. Your review doesn't lie about its shortcomings but i've played many worse hockey games on the snes such as brett hull hockey, the roller hockey title, and the wayne gretzky  game. I'm suprised you didn't add in the fact that the title says stanley cup but for all the talk about stanley cup in the game and in the manual all you get is the scrolling guy holding up a stanley cup instead of his stick which is pretty dissapointing. It is overall a bad game but like atarifever said about pole position 2 on the 7800, its a D to D+ game but not an F. I don't mind owning it as I only paid $2.50CAD a few years back at a collectibles store for the game complete in box with manual in excellent condition.

If you're still in the hockey mood, I recommend playing Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey on the n64 but steer clear of Blades of Steel '99 on the same platform.

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » December 28th, 2006, 6:07 pm

I've never been a big fan of Star Fox.  When it first came out, I remember reading all of the rave reviews.  But when I played it, I just thought it was a rather boring shooter with cool graphics.  The controls were not very good, and in the end, it seemed like a game that just oozed style over substance.  I think a C+ by the critic is correct.  And I too thought the comment about "butt rubbing" hip-checks in NHL Stanley Cup was a hoot.  Overall, great reviews.

jrallen811

Postby jrallen811 » December 28th, 2006, 9:46 pm

Critic-

Nice writing on the Vortex review. I don't know anything about that game and will never play it, but I wanted to give credit for the interesting and funny write-up. Keep up the good work!

- John

J.M. Vargas

Postby J.M. Vargas » December 30th, 2006, 6:15 am

From the critic's 'NHL Stanley Cup' review:

[quote]The moves look horrific, and when you perform a "hip check", it looks like you're trying to rub your butt on an opponent! That really stinks![/quote]

Please tell me that pun was totally intended and meant to be funny, PLEASE!!  I laughed so hard when I read it I spit Coke into my laptop making my keyboard sticky... AGAIN!!!

Return to “Review Feedback”