New MLB Rules?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: New MLB Rules?

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 16th, 2021, 2:53 pm

I get the impression that the people running the MLB are a bunch of accountants who could care less about the integrity of the sport.

If they really wanted to make games shorter, I have a great idea. When you bring in a reliever, no practice throws from the mound! They've already been warming up in the bullpen, and maybe this would discourage bringing in a different pitcher for every other batter, which to me is the worst part of the game.

Also, shorter commercial breaks or one commercial break PER inning.

Of course, this would cost them money, which is the only damn thing the MLB currently seems to care about.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » April 16th, 2021, 5:36 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I get the impression that the people running the MLB are a bunch of accountants who could care less about the integrity of the sport.

If they really wanted to make games shorter, I have a great idea. When you bring in a reliever, no practice throws from the mound! They've already been warming up in the bullpen, and maybe this would discourage bringing in a different pitcher for every other batter, which to me is the worst part of the game.

Of course, this would cost them money, which is the only damn thing the MLB currently seems to care about.

I'm sure it's not only the league/owners doing this. The players union has a major say in these decisions and i would guess the players want this too.

This is why there's a players union, so the league cant just do whatever they want.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 16th, 2021, 6:58 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I get the impression that the people running the MLB are a bunch of accountants who could care less about the integrity of the sport.

Don’t new pitchers have to face a minimum of 3 batters now?

Breaker

Postby Breaker » April 16th, 2021, 8:05 pm

Yes. Minimum of three batters or finish an inning.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 16th, 2021, 8:20 pm

I don't know what's more alarming: that they have radically changed the rules, or the fact that no one has noticed!

jon

Postby jon » April 19th, 2021, 8:05 am

I agree that interleague play at this point is totally pointless. When it first happened in the late 90's I was like, cool. Then it got old after a few years and now it just seems utterly boring. All of the years go by and division rivals aren't playing each other enough to give way to interleague play.

I had no idea about the new rules. While it's good to have the 3 batter rule I'd go a bit further. How about, only 4 pitchers a game. If it's 5 or more pitchers, the team gets penalized a run for each extra pitcher.

A big thing is that I really think the lack of fundamentals means that a lot of fans are turned off. They're going after a demographic of people with short attention spans that just aren't going to like baseball. I don't even follow the MLB except maybe if there's an interesting team in the World Series or maybe LCS championship series.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 19th, 2021, 8:20 am

Unless the Royals are in the WS (so I have something to discuss with my sis in KC), I don't bother with the WS/Playoffs. The last couple of decades, if the Braves made it, they demonstrated they are a Georgia team and imploded when victory was in their grasp (see Hawks, Bulldogs, Falcons)

Den

Postby Den » April 19th, 2021, 4:42 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I don't know what's more alarming: that they have radically changed the rules, or the fact that no one has noticed!

Everyone who cares about the game has noticed! You skipped an entire season with a shrug so perhaps that's why you didn't notice.

I personally hate many of the new rules, but I have to remember every game evolves. You used to be able to use spitballs, the ball could bounce and still be a strike, spectators could stand on the field, you could get 7 balls instead of 4, etc. etc. etc. The new rules suck now but in a few years you won't even notice them. Like I just recently became a hockey fan and I'm guessing the overtime shootout was met with resistance, but I love it. From what I've read, many people love the baseball changes, too.

As I said before, the only one that seriously changes the makeup/integrity of the game is the DH, and obviously many people not only don't mind it, but prefer it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 19th, 2021, 9:59 pm

You have to admit Den makes some good points!

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 20th, 2021, 4:34 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:You have to admit Den makes some good points!

I concur

Return to “Other Media”