Supreme Warrior (Sega CD)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Supreme Warrior (Sega CD)

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 9th, 2021, 8:20 pm

Can someone explain to me how to play this game? The manual is thick but not very helpful. I can't find an FAQ either. Maybe nobody has ever played this?

I noticed green icons flashing around the border of the screen but I'm not sure what they mean. Are they where the attacks are coming from?? Help!!

matmico399

Re: Supreme Warrior (Sega CD)

Postby matmico399 » May 10th, 2021, 4:14 pm

Played for about 2 minutes back in the day. Took it out quickly. It's similar to Prize Fighter. It's so bad it's not worth trying to figure out.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » May 12th, 2021, 3:34 pm

It's been a long time, but from what I remember, the green icons are cueing you to attack at certain times. The problem is that they don't really line up well with when you're supposed to actually push the buttons!

It's typical inscrutable mid-1990s FMV stuff, though I was able to make a little bit of progress when I took a crack at this one ages ago.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 12th, 2021, 4:23 pm

Do you know if there are different icons from punch and kick? Because all I see are green hands.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 12th, 2021, 5:54 pm

A and a direction is punch. B and a direction is block. C and a direction is kick.

All of the icons look nearly alike, in order to add artificial difficulty.

Sega-16 suggests that the only way to beat this game is to get lucky, because the computer can ignore your blocking whenever it wants. And your attacks...I'm not sure how I scored combos, without getting the signals for them. Or how I missed, despite getting a clear signal.

In twenty five years of owning the game, I've never once come anywhere close to mastering it. Anyone who thinks SNK bosses are cheap, has never played Supreme Warrior.

I suspect you'd need a frame by frame analysis to master this game's timing.

djc

Postby djc » May 13th, 2021, 12:01 am

I told you this game sucks :)

I was hoping there would be some redeeming qualities like Prize Fighter or Slam City but nope.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 13th, 2021, 4:20 am

Did some more research: there's apparently a flash of blue if you score perfect timing on a block. Otherwise, you'll lose a bit of health.

Perfect attacks are a flash of green. They do a lot more damage.

Special moves require Chi. Some of them will tell you the best time to strike or slow down your enemy, among other useful tricks. I can link a moves list if they're not covered in your instruction book.

But most important of all:

Judging from comments left by fans of this game, the training mode is necessary, if you're trying to wrap your head around its combat engine. It'll tell you what strikes to use, and at what distance and time, so you're not just wearing yourself out.

The game's somehow way more complicated than Super Punch-Out...and every fan I've seen, got it when they were young enough to dedicate hours every day to memorizing a whole new gaming language.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » May 13th, 2021, 9:47 am

I could not figure this out and eventually tired of it, gave up.

Return to “Now Playing”