Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Zack Burner

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby Zack Burner » June 4th, 2021, 4:53 am

velcrozombie wrote:Watched a bunch of stuff recently:

Eyes without a Face (1959) - A (one of the best horror films I've seen in a long time, maybe ever)

I remember that one, a French horror flick that had some surprisingy graphic violence (the surgery scenes), plus disturbing images that mainstream audiences found it unfit for regular viewing at the time I suppose.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » June 4th, 2021, 9:13 am

Zack Burner wrote:
velcrozombie wrote:Watched a bunch of stuff recently:

Eyes without a Face (1959) - A (one of the best horror films I've seen in a long time, maybe ever)

I remember that one, a French horror flick that had some surprisingy graphic violence (the surgery scenes), plus disturbing images that mainstream audiences found it unfit for regular viewing at the time I suppose.

There is an extended surgery sequence and one gory moment near the very end, but that's about it. It's disturbing (especially if you are sensitive regarding animals) but also a surreal, beautiful film and it feels more like a fable than something based in reality. I avoided it for years because I thought that it was only notable for some gruesome imagery but there's much more to recommend. The same writers also worked on Diabolique (1955) and Vertigo (1958).

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 5th, 2021, 3:55 pm

Watched Jurassic Park last night - the original - for probably the 20th time.

This may be the greatest movie of all time. The story, acting, dialog, and effects are all so good. Love the characters and the dinosaur effects have aged like wine. I couldn't tell the CGI from the practical effects, and that's saying something. Watching this film is like being on a thrill ride.

Of course, it makes Jurassic Park 2 and 3 look pretty mediocre by comparison. I do like the new Jurassic World films a lot. I thought Fallen Kingdom was impressive because it had a whole different feel than the others. Can't wait for the next one!

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » June 5th, 2021, 5:20 pm

I just watched Apocalypse Now for about the 87th time. It is so well done the direction the screenwriting and the acting. And it has Marlon Brando. I can't get over what a comprehensively perfect film this is. How did they do it?

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » June 5th, 2021, 6:40 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Watched Jurassic Park last night - the original - for probably the 20th time.

This may be the greatest movie of all time. The story, acting, dialog, and effects are all so good. Love the characters and the dinosaur effects have aged like wine. I couldn't tell the CGI from the practical effects, and that's saying something. Watching this film is like being on a thrill ride.

Of course, it makes Jurassic Park 2 and 3 look pretty mediocre by comparison. I do like the new Jurassic World films a lot. I thought Fallen Kingdom was impressive because it had a whole different feel than the others. Can't wait for the next one!

Ah yes, Jurrasic Park, you said it right Critic! This movie has held up over time in everything, the CGI still holds up quite well. Gotta love that "ah ah ah! You didn't say the magic word!" "Please!!!! GD I hate this hacker crap!" Coming soon I'm watching another great that stood the test of time: Terminator 2, to honor it's 30th anniversary.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » June 8th, 2021, 12:19 am

So I watched 'The Snyder Cut.'

I could write a really long thing about it, as it was an extremely long film, but I am going to break it down with only 1 specific highlight.

The movie overall is bad, but there is only 1 specific I'm going to highlight.

Whoever did the sound design and choices ruined this movie. The music is TERRIBLE. It sucks out any enjoyment from the action scenes. A lot of it is out of place, Wonder Woman's "theme" as it were plays every time she does anything and it makes what might otherwise be cool action scenes suck. Also, Zack Snyder in general uses 'bullet time' completely at random and for really dumb things.

It kept bouncing between 'so bad it's good' and 'just plain bad.' Watch at your own risk. Recommend alcohol and weed (if legal.)

WorstInTheLobby

Postby WorstInTheLobby » June 8th, 2021, 11:05 am

Over the weekend saw War With Grandpa with my wife and our daughters. Movie was pretty hilarious everyone loved it.Christopher Walken is still GOATED :).

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » June 9th, 2021, 6:07 am

Are you ready for the summer? Meatballs (1979) with Bill Murray! Corny but likeable summer camp movie with many memorable lines such as "To heck with surgery! Let's wrestle!" "What no mustard?" "Don't go human on me now Tripper" and the unforgettable: "It just doesn't matter!"

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » June 17th, 2021, 4:48 am

Arachnophobia (1990) with Jeff Daniels and John Goodman. 31 years old, but still delivering the thrills, chills and laughter. Gotta love Goodman's character, providing the best laughs. Favorite parts include the girls scaring each other, Jeff Daniels defeating the General, shooting him while ablaze into the nest, the shower scene.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » June 20th, 2021, 3:17 pm

In an interesting choice for Father's Day, celebrating its 30th anniversary, Terminator 2. This has held up quite well in all departments, surpassing the original (though some still claim the first is the best). Just make sure you find the Director's Cut, for best results, although the special edition is a good choice either. The ending in the Director's Cut is different, so I won't spoil anything here.

Return to “Other Media”