Rockofhysteria's Wrestling Game Reviews is back with a different name

The readers post their own reviews.
WorstInTheLobby

Rockofhysteria's Wrestling Game Reviews is back with a different name

Postby WorstInTheLobby » October 22nd, 2020, 11:49 am

Hello everyone I know it's been a LONG LONG LONG time since I've been here(originally my name here was Rockofhysteria) I had a lot of stuff happpen in life that took me away from this place having our 5th daughter lol lots of wrestling stuff and cancer(currently) But I finally decided to come back of course with my luck I don't have access to my old account because that was set up on a older now dead laptop and the original email address I used for it was deleted due to being hacked lol. So I decided on this name it's the name I use when playing call of duty games. :) anyhoo I am back now officially and will resume my wrestling game reviews. I'm not sure yet which game I will do first for official return yet so I am open to suggestions :) Have a good day everyone.

Retro STrife

Re: Rockofhysteria's Wrestling Game Reviews is back with a different name

Postby Retro STrife » October 22nd, 2020, 1:38 pm

Rock! Good to have you back, along with your excellent reviews. They've been missed. Sorry to hear about all the bad going on; I hope everything is getting better. And, on a good note, congrats on the new addition to the family.

For anyone that wants to catch up the prior reviews, this is the link here:

https://videogamecritic.com/forums/view ... 90&t=15045

I've tried a few of the games you recommended before and they never disappoint, so I'm always up to hear new options. As for ideas... how about any of the Smackdown games from the 2000s? I hear those are supposed to be among the best. And outside of professional wrestling, what about a Fire Pro Wrestling game or Def Jam: Fight for NY?

WorstInTheLobby

Postby WorstInTheLobby » May 19th, 2021, 6:23 pm

Retro STrife wrote:Rock! Good to have you back, along with your excellent reviews. They've been missed. Sorry to hear about all the bad going on; I hope everything is getting better. And, on a good note, congrats on the new addition to the family.

For anyone that wants to catch up the prior reviews, this is the link here:

https://videogamecritic.com/forums/view ... 90&t=15045

I've tried a few of the games you recommended before and they never disappoint, so I'm always up to hear new options. As for ideas... how about any of the Smackdown games from the 2000s? I hear those are supposed to be among the best. And outside of professional wrestling, what about a Fire Pro Wrestling game or Def Jam: Fight for NY?

Hey man sorry it's been so long again but I'm finally ready for my next review but I'm wondering if you could tell me how to post pics I completely forgot how to do it lol

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » June 4th, 2021, 6:57 pm

WorstInTheLobby wrote:Hey man sorry it's been so long again but I'm finally ready for my next review but I'm wondering if you could tell me how to post pics I completely forgot how to do it lol

Sure- two ways. For attachments from your phone or computer, scroll below the box you type into and find “Attachments”. You can attach an image there. This option has a file limit, so the file has to be fairly small for it to work.

Second, you can take images off the internet. To do this, find the image online, right click it and select to “copy image address” or something like that. Then copy the image address between these two functions: [img]&[/img] . When you make the post, the image will be there. You can use any size image with this method. Hope this helps.

noah98

Postby noah98 » June 4th, 2021, 7:11 pm

I'd like to see you review the new Retromania Wrestling and also Action Arcade Wrestling. Both newer games. I really like Action Arcade Wrestling so far. Didn't care for the gameplay of Retromania Wrestling though.

WorstInTheLobby

Postby WorstInTheLobby » June 5th, 2021, 4:22 pm

Retro STrife wrote:
WorstInTheLobby wrote:Hey man sorry it's been so long again but I'm finally ready for my next review but I'm wondering if you could tell me how to post pics I completely forgot how to do it lol

Sure- two ways. For attachments from your phone or computer, scroll below the box you type into and find “Attachments”. You can attach an image there. This option has a file limit, so the file has to be fairly small for it to work.

Second, you can take images off the internet. To do this, find the image online, right click it and select to “copy image address” or something like that. Then copy the image address between these two functions: [img]&[/img] . When you make the post, the image will be there. You can use any size image with this method. Hope this helps.

Thanks man I really appreciate it my newest review will be posted tomorrow :)

As for the request for the newer games I have not played Action Arcade Wrestling and haven't even heard of it before it was mentioned lol. With Retromania Wrestling I will review that game in the future once all of the DLC is announced :)

WorstInTheLobby

Postby WorstInTheLobby » June 5th, 2021, 5:10 pm

Ok folks I know it's been a LONG LONG time since I've done a wrestling game review and lots of things have changed lol as you notice I have a new name well that is because the original laptop that I was using was broken accidentally by one of my 5 daughters lol she accidentally knocked it off of a table and it died so I lost access to my original account because of that and the fact that I can't remember the password lol. Life and Wrestlng has gotten in the way over the past several years for us here but none the less I am back now and the reviews will continue and with that said I now present my latest review. I give you WCW SUPERBRAWL WRESTLING for the Super Nintendo. This game was released in November of 1994. It was Developed by Beam Software and published by FCI Inc.

November of 1994 was a interesting time for the wrestling business in the United States. Both WCW and the WWF were in a down period business wise although WCW was getting some momentum based on their humongous signing of Hulk Hogan that summer. The WWF was pushing their "New Generation" and it has yet to really catch on like their previous generation had.Even though this game was released in November of 1994 The look of this game and the feel and especially the Roster reeks of 1993 and I'm not saying that is a bad thing I'm just noting it for the record. Now let's break it down.

When you first boot up the game you are greeted by the voice of noneother than Tony Schiavone the Voice of WCW for most of it's run welcoming you to WCW Superbrawl Wrestling. This opening to the game is pretty Awesome IMO now mind you this was an era were voice overs were still pretty new to gaming but still for me pure awesomeness.

You get the following modes to choose from here in this game, Singles,Tag Team,Singles 8-man tournament,Tag Team Tournament and The Ultimate Challenge which is a Gauntlet where you have to beat every wrestler in the game typical stuff here.The matches can be set to be decisws by one fall,2 out of 3 falls or most falls in a certain set time limit.The character selection screen is pretty awesome too in how funny it is. It is fully animated with gifs of all the wrestlers moving around and every couple of seconds one of them will pop out of their box and give a fully voiced catch phrase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T4rExava8M

Matches are presented in a Isometric vew very much like Fire Pro Wrestling and WWF Wrestlemania Challenge which a lot of old school wrestling game fans like myself are pretty ok with. Image

The gameplay is I would say mediocre and the animations are pretty stiff. Wrestlers have for the most part the same movesets although each wrestler does have one or two signature moves which are accurate to their character at the time.Overall it's not the best but also not wrestlecrap either.

Graphically I think this game looks pretty good. All the wretlers are nicely detailed.The Ring looks good and so does the crowd. A very nice looking game IMO

The Sound in this game is decent for the time and you even have Tony Schiavone doing limited commentary on the matches which is pretty cood IMO especially considering the time period.

Lastly I will touch on IMO the best feature in the game and that is the excellent Roster. Every Wrestler in the game is a bonafide legend (Yes even Johnny B Badd lol). Here is the roster you get with this game

Johnny B Badd
Ric Flair
Sting
Vader
Dustin Rhodes
Ricky Steamboat
Ron Simmons
Rick Rude
Rick Steiner
Scott Steiner
Brian Pillman
Barry Windham

A pretty awesme roster IMO.

Overall this game is pretty good for the time. Sure it's not the best but it would also have been a LOT worse. This was the ONLY WCW game of the 16 bit era and I believe it's a good game overall.

My final Grade for WCW Superbrawl Wrestling is a nice solid B

For my next review I am thinking of either WCW Mayhem or possibly TNA Wrestling. Until then have a great day everyone :)

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » June 11th, 2021, 6:23 pm

Pretty nice review! I agree the B grade is appropriate, considering I'm a big WCW fan, then and now, heck I even got volume 3 of Best of Nitro on Blu-ray, the best volume of the bunch. The other negative is the congratulations screen is the same for everything even in tournaments. The characters I use the most are Sting (Aaaooohhh!), Ricky Steamboat (Who deserves the belt?), and Ron Simmons (Show me respect!). Glad the Nature Boy had his iconic catchphrase included too (Wooooo!), I have a soft spot for him. My favorite WCW wrestlers of all time were Lex Luger (with his physique and torture rack - favorite match: against Bret Hart August 1998 for U.S. Title), Sting (poster boy - favorite match: Vs DDP 1995), and DDP himself (cool cutter).

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » June 15th, 2021, 11:12 pm

Another stellar review by Rockofhysteria. Good to have you back man. I look forward to more.

WorstInTheLobby

Postby WorstInTheLobby » July 1st, 2023, 9:29 pm

Bumping this thread to let people know I will be doing a review of the AEW Fight Forever game this week for sure :)

Return to “Reader Reviews”