Looking for Xbox One games

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
BlasteroidAli

Re: Looking for Xbox One games

Postby BlasteroidAli » June 18th, 2021, 7:21 pm

Gears of war tactics. It is a console exclusive but it is also on pc. If you have played Xcom you will have an idea about it. It is an RTS with top notch graphics. Superb cut scenes but leaves me scratching my head about it. I never thought Gears would be a great Xcom turn based rts.

State of Decay 2. It is not much of a sequel. Before it was an open world zombie game. Now it is an open world survival game like Day Z. If you liked that game, you might like this one. Although I loved the first one I was not keen on part 2.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 19th, 2021, 8:14 am

Thank you for these suggestions! Might have to pick up Tactics considering it's only $10 on Amazon!
As for the zombie-style games, I feel kind of burnt out on those.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » June 19th, 2021, 5:12 pm

I will echo what others have said and recommend ReCore. It is dirt cheap ($10 or less) and a console exclusive. It's yet-another open-world game set in a vast wasteland (think Horizon Zero Dawn or Breath of the Wild) but thankfully, it's a simpler game than others in the genre, and shorter, too. Much easier to get into and finish than most games of its ilk. Some of the development team worked on Metroid Prime, and you can see that through the art design and world-building throughout the game.

This might be a red flag, but like others have posted, I had never managed to complete it, either. It has a huuuuuuge difficulty spike near the end that really tests your dedication. Myself, I gave up and moved on to something else. I like a challenge, but when I'm trying to play a game to relax and it insists on constantly kicking me in the teeth, eh... no, thanks.

VideoGameCritic wrote:I really can't see myself buying another Microsoft console.

Gluhhhh, you and me both, buddy. And I feel like most on this board would likely feel the same way. Myself, I'm thinking I'm done with the ongoing new console market, entirely, but that's a story for a different board.

My wife and I only have the X1 because we managed to get it pretty cheap (less than $100, back in 2018) and she wanted to play some next-gen multiplayer games with her family. She, her sister, and our niece all play Apex Legends together on a regular basis. But we know from experience that practically every time we boot up the system it'll have to update - both the game and the system, itself.

There really is no such thing as just popping in a game and hitting "Go" like in the old days. "27 easy steps," indeed :lol:

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 19th, 2021, 5:48 pm

Yeah the other day I was thinking about stopping at the local Best Buy to pick up a new game. That used to be so much fun!

But then I came to the realization that even if I bought a game, between installation and updates I probably wouldn't be able to play it tonight anyway. How did we get into this sorry situation? It's because the publishers have been taking advantage of the customers, and instead of pushing back we make excuses for them instead.

Gaming is just not as fun as it used to be. No wonder so many people are going retro instead.

DotNetWolf

Postby DotNetWolf » August 28th, 2021, 10:18 am

I know I'm late posting suggestions on here, but Microsoft just released Psychonauts 2 for the Xbox One and Series X. If you have played the original I recommend checking that one put first but overall, the story, visual art style and gameplay are all great. I think you might appreciate this one.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » August 28th, 2021, 11:30 am

Another suggestions: Halo Wars 2. I didn't play it, but I played the original Halo Wars on the Xbox 360, it's an RTS-light and I liked and I think it worked well for a console RTS.

Return to “Modern Gaming”