Does this site need new graphics?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 31st, 2006, 11:24 am

I was talking to my old buddy Eric on the phone, and he was asking me why I never updated the graphics on my site - meaning the banner at the top of the screen.  He was kind of surprised that it's pretty much remained the same in 5+ years.  I told him I didn't really have the expertise to create a new one.

What do you guys think?  I like the current color scheme, but it would be nice to have some new game graphics up there - a combination of the old and the new.  If anybody wants to volunteer to make a new one, that would be great.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » December 31st, 2006, 12:42 pm

As a Graphics Art graduate (Uma, 1999) I could help you out, but personally I don't mind the old banner.

If you want some input, the font and colors are fine but if I DID change it, I would put four game shots there...PONG, SUPER MARIO BROS,a 16 or 32 bit game like DOOM, and something currently popular like Gears Of War (whatever the heck THAT is, I have no idea!) ...that covers more territory...

Just my 2 bits...

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » December 31st, 2006, 1:10 pm

I'n fact why don't we just make the whole banner gears of war?

Linkdude

Postby Linkdude » December 31st, 2006, 1:51 pm

[QUOTE=sega saturn x]

I'n fact why don't we just make the whole banner gears of war?

[/QUOTE]Great idea, besides-- it'll show people that the Critic is going to review it (I hope).

Quill

Postby Quill » December 31st, 2006, 2:13 pm

It might be nice to get a new banner something with a more current game. I'd offer to make it as well but I have a degree in animation since Alienblue has a degree in graphic design he is probably better suited to it.

Unless for some reason you wanted to include a flash banner but I don't really see a need for one here.

Minzo

Postby Minzo » December 31st, 2006, 7:27 pm

Personally I don't mind this banner but a new one would be cool. Something with Old Games mixed with new.

Gentlegamer1

Postby Gentlegamer1 » December 31st, 2006, 8:04 pm

I think it would look good to have system logos as the console links on the left navigation bar.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » December 31st, 2006, 9:36 pm

Didn't Dave (AKA The Critic) state a while back that he went with the minimalist graphical approach to keep the site loading fast? Personally, that's a very good thing to me, seeing as I'm still stuck with a 28.8k connection.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » December 31st, 2006, 10:08 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]If you want some input, the font and colors are fine but if I DID change it, I would put four game shots there...PONG, SUPER MARIO BROS,a 16 or 32 bit game like DOOM, and something currently popular like Gears Of War (whatever the heck THAT is, I have no idea!) ...that covers more territory...
[/QUOTE]

Sounds good - personally I'd go with a banner showcasing 5 of the most populular and recognizable characters from each generation - Pac-Man, Mario, Sonic, Solid Snake and Master Chief. If we pretend Pac-Man is connected to Atari in a good way, it also covers the 5 most important console developers as well.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » January 1st, 2007, 12:15 am

This will sound really nitpicky but having the top frame scroll down instead of being fixed would make things much more user friendly.  I usually have multiple windows up including yours.  Usually the frame size of the graphic takes up half the frame as it doesn't scroll down the screen.  When I'm at home it's maximized but at work, well, sometimes I actually work.  Just something to think about.  Thanks

Return to “Video Games General”