Road Rash (Sega CD)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

Road Rash (Sega CD)

Postby Herschie » August 4th, 2021, 2:24 pm

With all my shenanigans as a kid I couldn't even get a Sega Genesis out of my parents, so Sega CD would have been out of the question. It's just as well, generally the Sega CD was never any good, though there were a few decent games.

Road Rash was one of them. The gameplay is fairly solid, though I don't see much difference between this and the Genesis version. I can definitely hear the difference though. The soundtrack is amazing!

And so I'm having fun with this game.

Matchstick

Re: Road Rash (Sega CD)

Postby Matchstick » August 10th, 2021, 1:22 am

My man!!

Though I don't think it's the best game in the series, the Sega CD version of Road Rash is, by a mile, the one I enjoy playing the most. Like you said, it looks like the Genesis version of Road Rash 3, as this version combines all the cutscenes, music, and menus of the 3DO version with the gameplay of RR3. It loads fast, controls well, and isn't back-breakingly difficult like other games in the series.

And, like you said, that soundtrack is just boss. Fun Fact: this is the only one of the "32 Bit" versions of Road Rash to feature the licensed soundtrack during gameplay. All other versions (3DO, PS1, Saturn, PC) play some generic rock tunes during the actual gameplay, and save the licensed tracks for the menus and cutscenes.

It makes a huuuuuuge difference with this game. Blazing down the road while crankin' Soundgarden's Outshined? It's a bit too much like real life!

High five, Herschie. Once I get my new game room set up and have the Sega CD unpacked, this is the first game I'm playing, without a doubt 8-)

Return to “Now Playing”