Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
MSR1701

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby MSR1701 » October 13th, 2021, 2:13 pm

Finally watched Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002) and... was surprisingly good (for a post-90s Godzilla movie).

I also rewatched Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000) for the first time in years, and it was better than I remembered it, but... That Black Hole Satellite Gun reminds me WAAY too much of the Earthquake Satellite from Under Siege 2...

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » October 14th, 2021, 9:06 pm

Not a work of art, but a guilty pleasure: Monster Brawl (2011) - the premise is simple: 8 monsters in a wrestling league Lady Vampire, Mummy, Cyclops, Witch, Werewolf, Swamp Gut, Frankenstein, and Zombie Man duke it out in a no-holds-barred matches. Featuring guest appearances of Jimmy Hart and Kevin Nash. Only one boring fight, which I won't reveal here, but the other 4 fights are great fun. I won't reveal who becomes the champion, you'll have to see it for yourself if your a fan of wrestling, monsters or both.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » October 18th, 2021, 9:02 am

Son of Frankenstein

Teddybear

Postby Teddybear » October 18th, 2021, 12:07 pm

pacman000 wrote:Son of Frankenstein

I'm guessing that you watched it on Svengoolie as I did Saturday evening lol......

One of Bela Lugosi's best roles and it was mentioned that it was originally planned as a color movie (hence the green Frankenstein make-up on Boris Karloff).

I really enjoy Svengoolie but only watch when they show a good movie. I understand due to licensing issues, cost, etc, that Sven is limited at what can air but I just can't hang with Attack of the 50 Foot Woman or Bride of the Monster for a two-hour show. It is a shame too as his segments are often funny and informative tidbits of the movie and cast. And the traditional song that really humorously summarizes the movie is always a must-see.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » October 20th, 2021, 10:00 am

Yes, on Svengoolie. Nice to see Lugosi play something that's not Dracula under another name.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » October 20th, 2021, 10:07 am

pacman000 wrote:Yes, on Svengoolie. Nice to see Lugosi play something that's not Dracula under another name.

If you've never seen them before, check out The Black Cat (1934) (co-starring Boris Karloff - Lugosi's also in a 1941 film of the same title with Basil Rathbone but I haven't seen it yet) and Island of Lost Souls (1932) (starring Charles Laughton, with Lugosi in a small role almost unrecognizable under heavy makeup). Both are well worth your time.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » October 23rd, 2021, 12:50 pm

Sometimes Disney likes to take a walk on the dark side and here's one such example: "Return to Oz". When this first came out, everyone was expecting a bright, happy, toe-tapping musical sequel to the beloved MGM classic. They were wrong, dead wrong. In fact, this movie is much closer to the look, feel, and tone of L. Frank Baum's works, darker than you would expect. Many characters are audio-animatronic which hold up nicely, the favorite of director Walter Murch is The Gump, though mine is Jack Pumpkinhead (the precursor to Jack Skellington, voiced by Brian Henson - Jim's son), he looks so cool. Though I will say, this movie is indeed quite frightening, who could ever forget the Wheelers :o :shock: ? But I think Princess Mombi is more frightening especially the moment where Dorothy grabs her powder of life but then wakes up the heads and headless body, pleasant dreams. The performances are good, Fauriza Balk is a great Dorothy Gale, Jean Marsh (also played Queen Bavmordia in Willow) is a great Mombi and Nurse Wilson, Nicol Williamson (yes the great Hamlet actor who also played Merlin in Excaliber) is a terrific Nome King. It's not without a few flaws though, it doesn't completely come to life, especially with the Scarecrow character, though this was due to some budget cuts, and the project was almost shelved even when almost done, but thankfully Francis Ford Coppola and George Lucas stepped in and saved it. Wasn't a commercial success due to the darkness, but has gained a cult following, and re-evaluation.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » October 23rd, 2021, 12:57 pm

Zack Burner wrote:Sometimes Disney likes to take a walk on the dark side and here's one such example: "Return to Oz". When this first came out, everyone was expecting a bright, happy, toe-tapping musical sequel to the beloved MGM classic. They were wrong, dead wrong. In fact, this movie is much closer to the look, feel, and tone of L. Frank Baum's works, darker than you would expect. Many characters are audio-animatronic which hold up nicely, the favorite of director Walter Murch is The Gump, though mine is Jack Pumpkinhead (the precursor to Jack Skellington, voiced by Brian Henson - Jim's son), he looks so cool. Though I will say, this movie is indeed quite frightening, who could ever forget the Wheelers :o :shock: ? But I think Princess Mombi is more frightening especially the moment where Dorothy grabs her powder of life but then wakes up the heads and headless body, pleasant dreams. The performances are good, Fauriza Balk is a great Dorothy Gale, Jean Marsh (also played Queen Bavmordia in Willow) is a great Mombi and Nurse Wilson, Nicol Williamson (yes the great Hamlet actor who also played Merlin in Excaliber) is a terrific Nome King. It's not without a few flaws though, it doesn't completely come to life, especially with the Scarecrow character, though this was due to some budget cuts, and the project was almost shelved even when almost done, but thankfully Francis Ford Coppola and George Lucas stepped in and saved it. Wasn't a commercial success due to the darkness, but has gained a cult following, and re-evaluation.

Need to track a copy down some day, never saw that one

Ah,Willow, need to rewatch that one soon

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » October 24th, 2021, 10:26 pm

With Halloween just in a week, just finished watching "Creepshow" the famous horror anthology. It's held up well over the decades with a nice cast such as Leslie Neilson, Hal Holbrook, Adrienne Barbeau, E.G. Marshall, Ed Harris, even Stephen King and his son Joe King as well. Stephen King plays a charming but dim-witted hick with memorable lines like, "Meteor s***!" "Jordy you lunk head!". Other memorable quotes such as, "Where's my Cake?!" "I can hold my breath for a long long time!" "Just tell it to call you Billie!" "What's the matter bugs got your tongue?". Of all of them "The Crate" is my favorite for it's monster and dark humor.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » October 25th, 2021, 8:51 am

Dune - on HBO Max - I'm actually really digging their day and date release plan.

It starts by saying Dune - Part 1. If you've read the book imagine it stopping about half-way through and that's the movie over about 2 and half hours.

It was good for what was shown but could have been sped up a bit in places.

Return to “Other Media”