2021/10/19: Playstation 4: Amnesia Collection, The (Guest Review), Outlast (Guest Review)

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2021/10/19: Playstation 4: Amnesia Collection, The (Guest Review), Outlast (Guest Review)

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 19th, 2021, 6:29 pm

Check out this set of Halloween PS4 reviews, brought to you by RPG correspondent Daheckizdat!

C'mon you know you want to give these game a try. Are you chicken?

Let's hear your feedback!

Retro STrife

Re: 2021/10/19: Playstation 4: Amnesia Collection, The (Guest Review), Outlast (Guest Review)

Postby Retro STrife » October 19th, 2021, 8:28 pm

Awesome reviews, DaHeck! I have a terrible combination of personality traits to tell you about: #1, I can never pass up a good deal on a well-regarded game. Which means, I absolutely bought the Amensia Collection when it was on sale on PS4, because I know it's is one of the "essential" survival horror games that shaped the genre. And #2, I am becoming a giant wuss in my older age. Which means, I absolutely have never played Amnesia in the years since downloading it. I haven't even booted the game up yet, despite telling myself every Halloween that I should finally try it.

So, thank you for doing this review. It's so well-written that I have decided that I have now vicariously played Amensia through you, and I will now return to playing Lego Jurassic World with the lights on for my October scares.

Retro STrife

Re: 2021/10/19: Playstation 4: Amnesia Collection, The (Guest Review), Outlast (Guest Review)

Postby Retro STrife » October 19th, 2021, 8:30 pm

P.S. DaHeck, correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like a few years ago I remember a topic you started where you lamented that no video games are actually scary. If that was you, then I'm curious: did either of these games change your mind?

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » October 19th, 2021, 9:33 pm

Retro STrife wrote:P.S. DaHeck, correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like a few years ago I remember a topic you started where you lamented that no video games are actually scary. If that was you, then I'm curious: did either of these games change your mind?

Unfortunately, they didn't. However, I did still enjoy them. And I can...how do I put this?... I can tell when something would be scary for someone else, even if it isn't for me? Does that make sense?

However, check out what I wrote about Visage in the "currently playing" section for a game that actually DID manage to scare me.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » October 21st, 2021, 3:59 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:
Retro STrife wrote:P.S. DaHeck, correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like a few years ago I remember a topic you started where you lamented that no video games are actually scary. If that was you, then I'm curious: did either of these games change your mind?

Unfortunately, they didn't. However, I did still enjoy them. And I can...how do I put this?... I can tell when something would be scary for someone else, even if it isn't for me? Does that make sense?

However, check out what I wrote about Visage in the "currently playing" section for a game that actually DID manage to scare me.

Come on, now. We're all mature, masculine adults here. Don't be too shy to admit that you have at least had to change your underwear occasionally after a "jump scare" in a game here and there. I'm 44 with five kids sleeping in the house and my wife sleeping a foot from me when I try to play Amnesia on my Switch with headphones on, and I rarely get more than ten minutes in every time before I have to stop, merely at the PROSPECT of impending fear that comes from the atmosphere in that game. There's no way you're playing it with the same disposition that you have when playing Bubble Bobble...

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 21st, 2021, 2:20 pm

Two also ran games. First of all Amnesia was a pc game first and it shows. Graphics are duff. Occasionally I put it on and think I should really like this but then it never really comes across. Though as you have given it a good review I might put it in again. I was thinking of replaying Doom 3 on Xbox 1 for Halloween. Now I might try this collection instead.

I loved Outlast right up until the final level which makes a mockery of the ones before. It was one of the first xbox 1 titles out and it was a huge hit. It spawned a sequel which I played better graphics worst game play. Also resident evil 7 owes a lot to Outlast as it is nearly the same game in the terms that you get chased about all the time. Though where RE7 kills it is in the graphics which were superb. Outlasts ending annoyed me so much I never went back to it after beating it.

Differing opinions I guess. Amnesia I would give a B as it looks like it might be fun. F- for outlast. If I am feeling generous a D.

Return to “Review Feedback”