Amiga 500 Mini Announced! (Early 2022)

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
ASalvaro

Re: Amiga 500 Mini Announced! (Early 2022)

Postby ASalvaro » January 14th, 2022, 6:13 pm

ActRaiser wrote:The Amiga CD32 console system was supposed to have been released in North America. It plays the entire library of Amiga games as far as I can tell. If it wasn't for their legal issues it would have sold here in the US.

Critic, pick one up and open up a whole other console to collect games and review.

Me...I'll get the Amiga mini to keep it simple (and cheap). :)

i would love to see the Critic do Amiga reviews!

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » January 25th, 2022, 12:27 pm

I got their Commodore 64 Maxi for Christmas and recently was able to spend some time with it. Has me very excited for what hopefully will follow later if their Amiga Mini is a commercial success.

Their previous product not only looks impressive, it feels just as nice when in use (Even the functioning keyboard). With the latest firmware installed (v6.1, I believe), everything seems to work well. Tons of built in games and every game that I tried to side load off a USB stick worked great. With the latest December firmware, it even supports the Amiga 500 Mini's mouse and gamepad accessories when they release.
Last edited by Atariboy on April 15th, 2022, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 16th, 2022, 2:50 pm

For anyone interested, Amazon presently has this with an approx. ETA of the end of May this year (presumably due to logistic/shipping delays).

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » March 22nd, 2022, 3:51 pm

Review posted by MetalJesusRocks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob-8G2c1VGo

It looks good and the ability to sideload games looks super easy as well. Mine's pre-ordered. It will be a fun bit of gaming when it's released.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » April 15th, 2022, 5:16 am

Picked mine up yesterday! It was released a couple days ago in the UK.

Haven't had time for gaming lately, but I did get chance to have a quick play around with it. I've never had any luck trying to emulate Amiga, so having something that does it out the box is great, and side-loading games makes it well worth the price of admission.

The Amiga 32CD controller is decent, the mouse is optical and feels great. Emulation seems pretty good, and you have a few settings you can play around with to optimise your side-loaded games if they don't run properly, and there's options to remap the buttons. Side-loaded games must be in .lha format, and work great. Although the first time I tested it, it took aaaaages to load, but seemed faster after testing other games.

It would have been nice if it had shipped with a joystick to be honest though. Some of the games just don’t feel right without one, but that could just be nostalgia talking as they still function fine with the d-pad.

Support for 3rd party controllers is very limited at the moment. Apparently the C64 mini joystick works (which I don’t have) and there’s another 3rd party replica they recommend should work. So I’m definitely gonna be picking one of those up.

Probably gonna buy a USB keyboard for it too as some of the games I wanna revisit won’t be practical with the onscreen keyboard - although it does work perfectly fine and you can still map keys to the control pad combined with the joystick controls.

So yeah first impressions are great. If you wanna play Amiga and have it made as simple as possible this seems to be the way to go.

The only weird thing... is playing it on a big tv sitting on the sofa ;)

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » April 15th, 2022, 4:22 pm

TheEagleXIII wrote:Picked mine up yesterday! It was released a couple days ago in the UK.

Haven't had time for gaming lately, but I did get chance to have a quick play around with it. I've never had any luck trying to emulate Amiga, so having something that does it out the box is great, and side-loading games makes it well worth the price of admission.

The Amiga 32CD controller is decent, the mouse is optical and feels great. Emulation seems pretty good, and you have a few settings you can play around with to optimise your side-loaded games if they don't run properly, and there's options to remap the buttons. Side-loaded games must be in .lha format, and work great. Although the first time I tested it, it took aaaaages to load, but seemed faster after testing other games.

It would have been nice if it had shipped with a joystick to be honest though. Some of the games just don’t feel right without one, but that could just be nostalgia talking as they still function fine with the d-pad.

Support for 3rd party controllers is very limited at the moment. Apparently the C64 mini joystick works (which I don’t have) and there’s another 3rd party replica they recommend should work. So I’m definitely gonna be picking one of those up.

Probably gonna buy a USB keyboard for it too as some of the games I wanna revisit won’t be practical with the onscreen keyboard - although it does work perfectly fine and you can still map keys to the control pad combined with the joystick controls.

So yeah first impressions are great. If you wanna play Amiga and have it made as simple as possible this seems to be the way to go.

back in 1993 i used my Amiga with a RCA rear projection 52 inch so i'm used to it lol

Nevermind

Postby Nevermind » April 20th, 2022, 2:57 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Can an Amiga expert let me know what the "premiere" Amiga games were? The ones that were most popular?

Stunt car racer - spent hours playing it in summer holidays, taking turns with my brother and sister. Tricky, but good fun.

Llamatron - such a great game that always puts a smile on my face.

Another post mentioned ‘Savage’ - an unusual game I completed on Atari St, but definitely worth trying. Probably let down by being a bit easy.

GeoX

Postby GeoX » April 21st, 2022, 5:12 am

TheEagleXIII wrote:Picked mine up yesterday! It was released a couple days ago in the UK.

How do the games look on the tv? Do they upscale well?

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » April 27th, 2022, 9:36 am

GeoX wrote:How do the games look on the tv? Do they upscale well?

Yeah I’d say so! I’m playing without smoothing and a CRT filter and it looks good to me.

Screen size is an odd option that seems to produce different results game to game, and I haven’t really figured out what affects that.

After a little more time with the CD32 controller... ehhhh. It’s ok I guess, but there’s plenty of games where it just doesn’t feel right. D-pad heavy games are hell on your thumb and wrist - Sensible World of Soccer is difficult to appreciate after a few games of being stabbed with the corners of the d-pad. So as soon as they get the microswitch joystick back in stock I’m getting in of those.

Return to “Classic Gaming”