Pixies

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
comchia

Re: Pixies

Postby comchia » March 4th, 2022, 12:05 am

I'm a fairly big Pixies fan, ever since I listened to them in high school. I saw them live in Austin circa 2010, and they did a helluva show, doing a mix of classics and then-new material. I love their mix of melody and aggression.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » March 5th, 2022, 8:53 pm

Matchstick wrote:On a related note, did anyone enjoy The Breeders, back in the day? I still have Pod and Last Splash, the latter of which I listen to fairly often. I think it's a great road-trip album. I also have a copy of Pacer by The Amps, but I haven't given that one a spin in a while. But I remember liking it quite a bit.

I like the Breeders, but I love Tanya Donelly's main band at the time, Throwing Muses. Easily my favorite 4AD group, even above the subject of this thread.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » March 19th, 2022, 10:34 am

Stalvern wrote:
Matchstick wrote:On a related note, did anyone enjoy The Breeders, back in the day? I still have Pod and Last Splash, the latter of which I listen to fairly often. I think it's a great road-trip album. I also have a copy of Pacer by The Amps, but I haven't given that one a spin in a while. But I remember liking it quite a bit.

I like the Breeders, but I love Tanya Donelly's main band at the time, Throwing Muses. Easily my favorite 4AD group, even above the subject of this thread.

I see your Throwing Muses, and raise you Lush!

https://youtu.be/QEK-f7zphlU

As for the topic itself, I love the first 3 Pixies full albums as well as Come On Pilgrim, but haven't listened to anything after.

But my favorite '80s indie bands have gotta be Dinosaur Jr., Talulah Gosh, and the Vaselines.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » March 19th, 2022, 10:52 am

LoganRuckman wrote:
Stalvern wrote:

I see your Throwing Muses, and raise you Lush!

https://youtu.be/QEK-f7zphlU

As for the topic itself, I love the first 3 Pixies full albums as well as Come On Pilgrim, but haven't listened to anything after.

But my favorite '80s indie bands have gotta be Dinosaur Jr., Talulah Gosh, and the Vaselines.

The guy I grew up with in Glasgow, was the bass player in the Vaselines. James Seenan. He never made any money from being in the band nor from the world tours. Lives in a 3 room flat in an old hospice (converted) and has a pet seagul.

jon

Postby jon » September 21st, 2022, 8:04 am

I might have had a drink and Surfer Rosa really comes alive. It's hard to pinpoint a favorite album for me. They're all great. I guess I'd go with Doolittle. I wonder what everyone's favorite album is. I know there's been a lot of Bossanova love.

HawgWyld

Postby HawgWyld » September 21st, 2022, 12:00 pm

"Trompe Le Monde" has been in heavy rotation in my car since that album was released. Love every Pixies album through that one, in fact.

jon

Postby jon » September 23rd, 2022, 6:27 pm

HawgWyld wrote:"Trompe Le Monde" has been in heavy rotation in my car since that album was released. Love every Pixies album through that one, in fact.

I’ve been listening to Jesus And Mary Chain and just realized it’s because of your post. That’s hilarious. My friend got me into Jesus and Mary Chain a couple years after I started listening to the Pixies and I realized that Head On, which was on Trompe Le Monde, was a Jesus and Mary Chain Song. This was like 20 years ago. How about “Sowing Seeds” and “Just Like Honey”, epic songs from Psychocandy.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » September 30th, 2022, 12:21 pm

They've released a new album. Does anyone here have any thoughts? I haven't heard it myself, not being interested in this version of the band.

JWK

Postby JWK » September 30th, 2022, 1:39 pm

I’m a fan. Not a diehard or anything, but I still listen to their four full length LPs every once in a while. Surfer Rosa and especially Doolittle are my favorites. If we did a “Favorite Albums of the 80’s” Doolittle would make it for me.

I liked the Breeders. Like a lot of people at the time, I absolutely fell in love with “Cannonball.” I maintain it’s one of the best alternative songs of the early 90’s. I bought Last Splash because of it and I enjoyed it.

Sad to hear Kim isn’t with the band’s newer stuff. I understand a lot of fans are okay without her. But the dual vocals of Kim and Frank/Francis are would makes the band special. That’s just my opinion.

jon

Postby jon » September 30th, 2022, 6:45 pm

It’s a tough choice imo what their best album is. I’d go with Doolittle probably but they’re all good. For the first time a few weeks ago I started to listen to Surfer Rosa a ton and it’s fantastic.

Bossanova and Trompe Le Monde are great too.

Return to “Other Media”