Moments that disturbed you?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Moments that disturbed you?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » June 24th, 2022, 6:56 pm

Are there any moments in video games that genuinely disturbed you? I've been playing Omori, and...

SPOILERS!

...there is a part where Omori is traveling through his own guilty subconscious, and finds a room where his childhood cat, Mewo, is strapped to a surgery table. A butler (who has a cat's head for some reason) tells you that Mewo has been very bad. You approach the table, and the game tells you "Mewo looks at you. He doesn't know what's going on. Do you want to cut Mewo open?" If you choose yes, the game gives you the option again, with Mewo getting more and more frightened until you finally stab him with a knife and cut him open to get the key to the next room. Of course, you don't HAVE to kill the kitty. If you pause the game, you'll find that you also have the option to stab yourself, at which point you'll die and wake up in the next room.

matmico399

Re: Moments that disturbed you?

Postby matmico399 » June 24th, 2022, 7:34 pm

Wow that's pretty gruesome. I can't recall one that Disturbed me so bad that I played. But I just checked a few days ago and online video of the band console game Hatred. Only available in PC as it got an AO rating just for violence. Good gosh that thing is horrendous and it's nothing but blood and well as the title says hate. I'm glad this one got banned because it does nothing good for anybody and is just sick.

Stalvern

Re: Moments that disturbed you?

Postby Stalvern » June 24th, 2022, 9:20 pm

I find Hatred more pathetic than disturbing – I would be disturbed if the protagonist had an outlook or motivation that could conceivably reflect real violence, but his "hatred" is so vague and cartoonish that I can't take it seriously or imagine that the developers did either. It's empty edginess for attention.

One moment that caught me off-guard was the meditation trial in Earthbound. I'd rather not spoil it for anyone who hasn't played the game yet, although I guess mentioning it at all is a spoiler in itself.

Return to “Video Games General”