Grand Slam Tennis (Arcadia 2001)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Grand Slam Tennis (Arcadia 2001)

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 14th, 2022, 8:19 pm

Played this with my friend Scott. We were initially impressed with the smooth running animation and ball motion, but what is the deal the control. Sometimes I will push one way and my guy will momentarily move the other way. It's almost like they were trying to mimic momentum but failed.

I will try the single player mode next. Review forthcoming.

Red Clash

Re: Grand Slam Tennis (Arcadia 2001)

Postby Red Clash » June 24th, 2022, 10:54 pm

This was one of the rarest games for any US system until 5 years ago when the number of known copies doubled due to a hoard of NOS turning up at a farm in rural Kansas of all places.

GST is also almost the only Arcadia game that we have an account from the developer about the creation of it:

http://www.ittybittycomputers.com/Essays/Tennis.html

... absolutely worth a read for any classic gamer, and Arcadia owner. It really explains a lot and provides insightful context about how things were done back in the day.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Grand Slam Tennis (Arcadia 2001)

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 25th, 2022, 12:44 pm

Interesting essay - thanks for the link! It really illustrates the hoops programmers had to jump through in the old days, and gives you better appreciation for the games.

I actually have a finished review of Grand Slam Tennis. Spoiler alert: technically the game is impressive as hell, but the control severely limits its playability.

I'm going to pair up this review with Horse Racing. Just need to play Horse Racing with some friends to test the multiplayer elements.

Return to “Now Playing”