House of the Dead Remake (Switch)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

House of the Dead Remake (Switch)

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 18th, 2022, 10:18 pm

I know a lot of you were cynical, but I am loving this. The graphics and sound are fantastic, staying true to the spirit of the original while incorporating a level of macabre I haven't seen on the switch.

The new gyroscope aiming mode is the future of light guns on HDTVs. It works like a dream. Still early but review forthcoming.

Buttermancan

Re: House of the Dead Remake (Switch)

Postby Buttermancan » June 19th, 2022, 5:57 am

I look forward to your review. I've only ever played this series in the arcade and love lightgun games. I'm not sold on the switch's control scheme. I don't think the game comes with plastic gun receptacles to make it feel like you're holding a handgun.
I think the Sinden Light Gun is the future but needs console support outside of the Polymega.

DialSforSam

Postby DialSforSam » June 27th, 2022, 3:53 pm

Hopefully more ports or re-releases of light gun games can make their way to the Switch. Kinda want a Switch version of Ghost Squad, or even Gunblade: NY.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » June 28th, 2022, 9:20 pm

Just got this game today, and I love that I have a remade arcade game in the palm of my hands! From what I have played so far it feels just like the original, all with the bad acting and dialogue we've come to love. The shooting mechanics are great on handheld, moving around is smooth, and the shooting is dead on, though not perfect, at times it's very easy to lose track of your cross-hairs. Another minor complaint is the original's music is absent, though I do like the remade stage 2 and 3 music. I made it to the final level before dying, and playing a bit sloppy, but since it's my first time playing you gotta expect that. So far so good. Can't wait to play better so I can unlock the extras, the weapons I seek are the crossbow, and the grenade launcher. I love it!

"I'll get you Curien!"

"We won't let you have it your way Curien!"

"Others are still inside.....save them....."

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » June 29th, 2022, 7:43 am

Glad to see all the love of HOTD. It is a great game. I will also be looking forward to your review.

JohanOberg

Postby JohanOberg » June 29th, 2022, 8:42 am

Good to hear about the gyro aiming.. when I first heard about Resident Evil Revelations 1 & 2 coming to Switch with gyro aiming I got excited, because Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition is my favorite version of that game. But I saw a demonstation and it looked like gyro aiming lagged behind quite a bit compared to IR? By the looks of it I would have compared it to maybe the CD-i lightgun, as opposed to the gold standard(namco guncon or maybe the saturn gun?). Like, a 6/10 or so on the lightgun scale.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » June 29th, 2022, 12:33 pm

Got a little further, made to the magician and got killed. Got better at rescuing hostages, though not perfect. If you listen carefully to stage 3 it sounds the closest to the original.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » June 29th, 2022, 9:58 pm

Now I have a problem, I can't move the cross-hair, I've tried changing in the options, I've tried starting a new game, it was just fine until it happened, and now I don't know what to do.

Update: Problem solved, make sure you don't have gyroscope enabled or your in big trouble.

Update 2: Finally beat the game the first time! Magician is fast and furious but I got him. Received normal ending. Still got to work on the scientist rescue part though, but I'm getting better, the first two are the hardest to save.....

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 2nd, 2022, 10:37 am

The gyroscope is a little problematic. It works awesome for a while, but then it gets a little out of sync, forcing you to hold the controller sideways to aim at the middle of the screen! They could really use a re-center button.

It's little things like this that make this game feel rushed and unpolished. Also, doesn't record high scores unless you beat the game? That's dumb.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » July 2nd, 2022, 10:10 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:The gyroscope is a little problematic. It works awesome for a while, but then it gets a little out of sync, forcing you to hold the controller sideways to aim at the middle of the screen! They could really use a re-center button.

It's already there and is mapped to R3.

Anything that uses the JoyCon as a pointer sadly needs this. Super Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword, and World of Goo all jump to mind as other examples. It's the price we pay for not having a Wii style sensor bar to identify the location of the television.

Return to “Now Playing”