Video Game Myths

General and high profile video game topics.
mbd36

Re: Video Game Myths

Postby mbd36 » August 3rd, 2022, 5:14 pm

lynchie137 wrote:One myth or rumor I remember hearing about as a kid was there being a secret World Circuit in Mike Tyson's Punch Out that was supposed to be way harder than the World Circuit. There were even codes for this circuit that were printed out in a few of the strategy guides that were making the rounds back in the day. Unfortunately, none of them worked when I tried to enter them.

You mean Another World Circuit?

https://punchout.fandom.com/wiki/Another_World_Circuit

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » August 4th, 2022, 3:11 am

mbd36 wrote:
lynchie137 wrote:One myth or rumor I remember hearing about as a kid was there being a secret World Circuit in Mike Tyson's Punch Out that was supposed to be way harder than the World Circuit. There were even codes for this circuit that were printed out in a few of the strategy guides that were making the rounds back in the day. Unfortunately, none of them worked when I tried to enter them.

It might have been that. But they never really went into too much detail. All they said was "Eight fighters of higher difficulty" or something along those lines.

AtariToday

Postby AtariToday » August 4th, 2022, 8:27 pm

I remember the myth that the cartridge port on the Sega Saturn allowed you to play Genesis games.
Backwards compatibility! :mrgreen:

Den

Postby Den » August 5th, 2022, 11:09 am

lynchie137 wrote:
mbd36 wrote:

It might have been that. But they never really went into too much detail. All they said was "Eight fighters of higher difficulty" or something along those lines.

Another World Circuit wasn't any harder. It was just the same fighters in the same order, but you started with King Hippo instead of Glass Joe.

Den

Postby Den » August 5th, 2022, 11:12 am

I had a friend who used to be convinced that there was a secret "fire dagger" weapon in the original Castlevania. He thought if you stood still in a certain spot for a few seconds, it would show up, like a few of the treasure chests do. So he spent hours in each level, standing in every spot for 5 seconds to test his theory.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 5th, 2022, 12:35 pm

Beat Street Fighter II without losing a single round and after M.Bison you'll take on Sheng Long.

This all started due to EGM's April Fools edition. I was too young and stupid to realize it was a joke until much later. Still didn't stop me from trying though.

https://streetfighter.fandom.com/wiki/S ... 0chance%22.

This page explains it incredibly well.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 6th, 2022, 4:55 pm

Here's a big one that persists to this day: blowing into the pins of a dirty NES cart will help it load.

The only thing helping is the repeated pushing the cartridge in, grinding more dirt off the pins with each insertion.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » August 6th, 2022, 7:09 pm

Some hardware ones…

The Wii is as powerful as 2-3 GameCubes.

Sega added the second SH-2 to the Saturn because of the PS1 was so great. No one has ever sourced this to my knowledge and the 32X also featured a dual CPU architecture.

Did we ever figure out what Nintendo’s Atlantis was? Did they really have a 160MhZ Ginormous Game Boy ready to launch that they shelved for the GBC in the late 90s?

Herschie

Postby Herschie » August 7th, 2022, 11:14 pm

Has anyone found the Triforce in Ocarina of Time yet?

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » August 8th, 2022, 8:50 am

I remember when Mortal Kombat came out, there were rumors of a "swear mode", where the characters would curse. A common one was people saying scorpion would yell "GET THE (funk) OVER HERE". They always said there was a switch to activate it. We looked and looked. The operator for the game even got curious and looked for a switch on the PCB.

Alas, it was a blatant lie. But a lot of us believed it. The game was already pushing the envelope enough, so it wasn't that hard to believe.

Return to “Video Games General”