All the way through?

General and high profile video game topics.
JohanOberg

Re: All the way through?

Postby JohanOberg » July 19th, 2022, 4:50 am

After buying it when it was new in 2014, playing for 30 minutes then (figuratively)shelving it until the other day, I've beaten Strider (2014). I got a bit hooked, though I thought the game overstayed it's welcome a little by the end, clear time 7 hours 21 minutes(73% completion).

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » July 25th, 2022, 2:27 pm

Finally got my no-death Castlevania playthrough. First two stages were a bit of a mess, but my only criteria for continuing on was getting a bat boost in Stage 1 to avoid the underground tunnel with the fishmen and the medusa-head boost in Stage 2 to skip most of a long room that requires you to double back on a higher level to reach the door. Made a huge mistake right before the mummy fight at the end of Stage 3 when I accidentally traded a triple-shot cross for a dagger, but I know the fight well enough to get through with just a whip anyway. Second half was smoother overall. Made it to Dracula with triple-shot holy water so I took things safe and slow on the first form. I might try a no-death playthrough of Castlevania III next.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » August 8th, 2022, 11:12 pm

Beat Castlevania II: Simon's Quest twice today - once just bumbling through it and the second time much more confidently (although it still ended up taking about 70 minutes). A friend of mine wanted to see me do a playthrough of it so I'll try to get the time under an hour and then record it. I wasn't as invested in this game as the under games in the series but it was the first of them I played as a kid (I spent many hours roaming around, not really knowing how to reach my final objective but having fun just exploring) and it was nice to cross another old game off the list.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » August 9th, 2022, 7:11 pm

I kind of sort of beat FF3 for the SNES. I got to the final boss but not sure if I can beat him. Great game but it's like you need a degree in RPG's to figure everything out. Also, I had to resort to the walkthrough many times to figure out what to do next. Still, pretty crazy to think this game was made in the early 90's. Very expansive and a pretty cool story. I enjoyed it for sure.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 9th, 2022, 10:27 pm

I beat Transformer by Sega for the arcade, circa 1986. There's no "s" at the end of that. So...not sure if they only licensed a single robot and not plural but that would make sense. You play as a single Transformer that can go from ship to robot. Ship mode flies and maneuvers faster. Robot mode is less nimble but has more firepower. As far as I can tell you beat the game after 4 levels and the 5th level repeats.

It looks like Sega released it for the Master System and called it a couple of different things based on the region.

https://segaretro.org/TransBot

In the US it was called TransBot and in Japan they called it Astro Flash.

I cleared the game on my MAME cabinet. I played with the cheats on and would say it's probably in the C- category when compared with other arcade games released in '86.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » August 14th, 2022, 11:55 am

Megaman 3 on Megaman Anniversary done. I really like this one, though Wily's Castle is definitely easier than the first 2 games. Still really liked it though, and loved the music.

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » August 21st, 2022, 7:09 am

It’s been quite a while but finally finished the newest dlc to Kindoms of Amalur. Def a nice add on to this game .

nesfan

Postby nesfan » August 27th, 2022, 3:34 pm

With Splatoon 3 releasing soon, it occurred to me that I never actually played through the single-player modes of the first 2 games. So this morning, I just beat Splatoon on Wii U.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » September 21st, 2022, 6:07 pm

Finished Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti from the Namco Museum Archives Vol. 1 release on the PS4. It's a cutesy parody of the original Splatterhouse game with superdeformed character designs and loads of goofy bosses (including a vampire leading a group of zombies dancing to "Thriller" and a less grotesque take on Jeff Goldblum's monster from The Fly (1986)). The most difficult part is early in the first level, where you have very little health and the brief invincibility period after being hit makes it easy to die while getting juggled between a couple of enemies or traps; you quickly gain additional hit points though (the game has an RPG-style experience system where you gain extra hit points for killing a certain number of monsters shown on a countdown at the top of the screen) and there's a loads of candy and hamburgers around to refill your growing lifebar. Combat is simple - you can pick up a shotgun in a couple of stages but otherwise you just walk, jump and swing a meat cleaver. The novelty of the game is more in seeing the various colorful enemies and bosses and spotting the references to different horror films. It's a lot of fun for a few hours though, and a perfect game for the Halloween season.

nesfan

Postby nesfan » September 23rd, 2022, 11:53 am

I finally beat Shenmue II for the Xbox! A lot of difficulty came with it, namely my Xbox dying in the middle of one of my play sessions and I ended up having to get the disc drive and laser replaced. Then the game, itself started screwing up and I needed to order another one. Then the mailman delivered it to the wrong address and when the mistake was pointed out, instead of delivering it to the correct address, he told the post office that "I moved away and didn't leave a forwarding address" and then returned to sender!?
... Anyway. All the stuff happening around it was unfortunate but that game was amazing and I'm so glad I was finally able to finish it. I'm looking forward to playing Shenmue III!

Return to “Video Games General”