What's your number one favorite genre?

General and high profile video game topics.
LoganRuckman

What's your number one favorite genre?

Postby LoganRuckman » August 25th, 2022, 12:05 pm

Cliche topic maybe, but I'm curious, what is your number one favorite genre of video games? If you could only play one genre for the rest of your life, what would it be?

For me, it's definitely gotta be platformers. I've loved platforming games since I was a little kid. Truth be told, I don't really play video games very much anymore, but any time I decide to play a good platformer, I become fully immersed and fall in love with gaming again, even if very briefly. I just never get tired of them like I do other genres.

Doesn't matter the subgenre, either. Single screen, traditional sidescroller, 3D collectathon, MetroidVania (and other sidescrolling action RPGs that don't quite fit into that subgenre), action platformer, puzzle platformer, run 'n gun, cinematic platformer, etc. Give me some running and jumping, and I'm a very happy man. In fact, my all time favorite game is Super Mario 64.

How about you? What's the one gaming genre you just can't get enough of?
Last edited by LoganRuckman on August 25th, 2022, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zack Burner

Re: What's your number one favorite genre?

Postby Zack Burner » August 25th, 2022, 12:31 pm

Real tough for me, but if I were to choose one over all others it would have to be the RPG genre. I mean come on, how can you not love getting involved in an epic story with characters you grow up with, feel their pains, share their joy and so on? I've got a bunch from that category: Final Fantasy VII, VI, Earthbound, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and several others. Once the game is finished you feel both sad and happy at the same time, it's like saying goodbye to a friend that was hard to make on your journey, in fact one of the ending music in Earthbound is called "Tears and Laughter" and very appropriate. What's not to love about casting spells, searching deep dark dungeons and overcoming foes from the darkest corners of your imagination.

k8track

Postby k8track » August 25th, 2022, 2:53 pm

I'd have to say my number one genre (if you could even consider it that) would be “1970s – mid 1980s Arcade Action.” I know that might seem pretty broad; hopefully it makes sense. If I really, really had to narrow that down, I’m a real sucker for Breakout-style games (and any paddle game period).

A very close second (and more quantifiable) would be Metroidvania games, as well as Metroidvania-ish / Metroidvania-adjacent games. I also love action-puzzlers. In fourth place would be sexy mahjong games. Just kidding about fourth place.

If I had to list my top five games ever, I would say Super Metroid, The Incredible Wizard (Bally Astrocade), Woody Pop (Sega Mark III), Boulder Dash, and VVVVVV. Perhaps that will sort of paint a picture of the kind of stuff I enjoy.

In conclusion, I think video games are really neat.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » August 25th, 2022, 8:59 pm

I do not have a strong preference. Call it a slight leaning. If I had to choose a favorite, the RPG genre and it's diverse sub-genres. I will also throw in the Metroidvania subgenre, the Soulslike, and Roguelikes into the RPG mix. Strategy titles are thrown into this mix as well.

RPG I use broadly, perhaps too much.

First Person Shooters used to be a favorite genre but when was the last truly great shooter? It has been years. Maybe Titanfall II or Prey qualifies (Prey is really more a Stealth/Survival game but the same could be said for the games I mention next). Need to go back to the pre 2010's for the truly great stuff, i.e. games of the caliber of F.E.A.R and S.T.A.L.K.E.R Call Of Pripyat. Was once my favorite genre but no longer. Hard to prop up a genre that appears all but extinct and devoid of anything new that is exciting.

I wonder if there are some folks here that rate the survival horror genre highly nowadays. There used to be a lot of good stuff but it seems only Resident Evil is going strong.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 26th, 2022, 12:21 am

DrLitch wrote:I wonder if there are some folks here that rate the survival horror genre highly nowadays. There used to be a lot of good stuff but it seems only Resident Evil is going strong.

These days, there's more of a split between the two genres. Games like The Forest and Deadwood emphasize the survival aspect over the horror, and games like Devotion and Soma emphasize the horror by removing your ability to defend yourself.

There's no way for smaller studios to compete with Capcom's resources, so they tend to focus on providing experiences the larger studios won't, for more niche audiences.

Also, there's some great PS1 themed indie horror that might be worth checking out - they like to bundle them in "demo discs".

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 26th, 2022, 12:24 am

LoganRuckman wrote:Cliche topic maybe, but I'm curious, what is your number one favorite genre of video games? If you could only play one genre for the rest of your life, what would it be?

I'd probably stop gaming.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 26th, 2022, 12:33 am

I could easily see only ever playing racing games.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » August 26th, 2022, 6:16 am

First, it were 2D platform games (Sonic, Mario). Then point&click adventures (LucasArts-games). Then simulation games (SimCity, Theme Park). Then RTS games (C&C-series). Then FPS games (Wolfenstein, Doom, BioShock). Then third-person shooters (Gears of War). Then soccer games (FIFA). Now, again 2D platform games (Sonic, Mario...). And also more casual games (like hidden object; Gardenscapes e.g.), because I don't have so much time now. I never really liked realistic racing games (boring) JRPG's or stealth games (no patience for both)

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » August 27th, 2022, 6:16 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:
These days, there's more of a split between the two genres. Games like The Forest and Deadwood emphasize the survival aspect over the horror, and games like Devotion and Soma emphasize the horror by removing your ability to defend yourself.

There's no way for smaller studios to compete with Capcom's resources, so they tend to focus on providing experiences the larger studios won't, for more niche audiences.

Also, there's some great PS1 themed indie horror that might be worth checking out - they like to bundle them in "demo discs".

Me going through musing and perhaps nostalgia for some of the oldies like Fatal Frame, Silent Hill, Parasite Eve, Evil Within, Dead Space.

Deadwood and Soma are amazing 8-)

Indy theme =>
Try out Mundaun
https://store.steampowered.com/app/720350/Mundaun/
It really stands out.

DocHix

Postby DocHix » August 27th, 2022, 7:52 pm

It may be cheating, but I'm going to claim a dead tie. I like extreme/unrealistic racing games ("Hydro Thunder", "Crusi'n" series, etc.) and non-sim submarine games ("In the Hunt", "Sub Rebellion", etc.).

Return to “Video Games General”