Scott the Woz

General and high profile video game topics.
C64_Critic

Re: Scott the Woz

Postby C64_Critic » August 21st, 2022, 9:54 am

Like others, I thought some of the AVGN's early videos were decently funny. He's at his best when he's just trying to work his way through an unforgiving game, getting completely frustrated by it, and letting the expletives fly. I can feel myself getting more and more annoyed and frustrated along with him and totally sympathize with his descent into rage. Once he started getting cute and trying to make mini-movies out of his episodes, introducing extra "characters" and stuff like that, it went straight downhill and I don't find those amusing in the least. Also, his complete and utter obsession with poop/diarrhea/fecal matter gets old super quick... I suppose if I were still in middle school I'd find it hilarious, but since I'm past the age of puberty I just roll my eyes on his 17th mention of "crap".

Scott the Woz - I've seen a couple of his videos but as has already been mentioned, they tend to be WAY too long for my liking. The few videos I have seen weren't all that entertaining to me to boot so I doubt I'll bother looking for more.

k8track

Postby k8track » August 21st, 2022, 2:09 pm

The Nerd (and various copycats) are just not my cup of tea. The most diplomatic and accurate way to put it is that I am not capable of appreciating them.

SuperiorShark

Postby SuperiorShark » August 21st, 2022, 5:01 pm

It's amazing how many of these video gaming YouTubers there are now. When I was in high school, I used to love watching the Nerd and Classic Game Room. Then in college, my buddy turned me onto a guy named JonTron for a while and a couple others but now there's so many and they all copy one another, repeating the same old stuff over and over, I'm honestly kind of amazed that people get any real entertainment out of it. Actually, I kind of think that all of YouTube is like that.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » August 28th, 2022, 8:52 pm

Because of this thread I've spent the past week or so watching Scott the Woz videos, and...yeah, he's okay. A few years ago I loved watching Peanutbuttergamer and Caddicarus, but I feel like I've grown out of them lately. While Scott isn't bad, I don't feel like I'd have enjoyed him as much as the other two I mentioned even when I was really into them.

Also, it may just be me, but Scott's apparent obsession with virginity feels a little weird. Like, it would be fine as a self deprecating joke now and then, but he has entire videos (like Donkey Long Barrel Blast) where he can't seem to go two minutes without mentioning virginity or having sex.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » August 29th, 2022, 12:49 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:Because of this thread I've spent the past week or so watching Scott the Woz videos, and...yeah, he's okay. A few years ago I loved watching Peanutbuttergamer and Caddicarus, but I feel like I've grown out of them lately. While Scott isn't bad, I don't feel like I'd have enjoyed him as much as the other two I mentioned even when I was really into them.

Also, it may just be me, but Scott's apparent obsession with virginity feels a little weird. Like, it would be fine as a self deprecating joke now and then, but he has entire videos (like Donkey Long Barrel Blast) where he can't seem to go two minutes without mentioning virginity or having sex.

Personally, I would definitely rank Scott higher than Peanut Butter Gamer. I used to love PBG as a teenager, but rewatching recently, I really didn't enjoy him at all. Probably the least funny person to ever exist, honestly.

I still have the nostalgia, but he hasn't aged well at all.

djc

Postby djc » August 29th, 2022, 1:29 am

You know what they say about different strokes for different folks...

It is very difficult to keep doing the same thing for so long with minimal changes. If you try something new, you risk alienating your existing fanbase. If you stay the same, people say you are not adapting to the times. Kind of frustrating as a content creator I am sure.

In James Rolfe's case (AVGN), I found his earlier videos to be a little more organic and on brand. As an aspiring film maker (I guess you could just say film maker now), he wanted to bring some of that into his reviews. I do think that once he paired up with the new group he is with now, the overall quality has suffered. They are trying too hard IMO to get a laugh and are getting away from the source material too much. I find AVGN videos informative but I can do without the poop humor at this point.

Lately I've watched more from FrameRater and Sega Lord X. You can see their passion and nostalgia come through in their reviews.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » August 29th, 2022, 2:32 am

My favorite channel is Game Sack. The video's are long, but in-depth and very good.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » August 29th, 2022, 3:34 am

CaptainCruch wrote:My favorite channel is Game Sack. The video's are long, but in-depth and very good.

Game Sack is awesome. Like you said, in depth, but I also love the corny jokes!

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » August 29th, 2022, 11:04 am

Man, I miss CGR. I understand why it had to go, but it's still disappointing.

Return to “Video Games General”