Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
DialSforSam

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby DialSforSam » December 4th, 2022, 2:12 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:
DialSforSam wrote:Watched National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation for the first time a few nights ago.

So what did you think?

It's an oddball movie for sure.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » December 4th, 2022, 10:14 pm

Time for my seasonal viewing, starting with......Home Alone! The original that started it all, and still the best one. Holiday jamboree and escapism all in one. Favorite traps are:
- Blowtorch on the door
- Nail on the Stairs
- Iron from the laundry chute
- Paint Cans

I also have a soft spot for the part where Kevin chats with Old Man Marley, always warms my heart up. And who could forget an appearance of John Candy as well? What a perfect way to start the seasonal viewing.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » December 5th, 2022, 10:23 am

My wife and I watched Willow (1988) before watching the new Disney series. My wife had never seen it and it had been a while since I saw it. I thought the movie, though flawed (the 2 Brownie characters were the JarJar Binks of the film), was still pretty good. And one thing I really appreciated was the lack of CGI due to it being a 1988 film. Unlike The Hobbit films, where half the flick plays out like a cheesy video game.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » December 5th, 2022, 10:55 am

Gleebergloben123 wrote:My wife and I watched Willow (1988) before watching the new Disney series. My wife had never seen it and it had been a while since I saw it. I thought the movie, though flawed (the 2 Brownie characters were the JarJar Binks of the film), was still pretty good. And one thing I really appreciated was the lack of CGI due to it being a 1988 film. Unlike The Hobbit films, where half the flick plays out like a cheesy video game.

Ah Willow, haven't seen that in a good long while, and yes I appreciated the lack of CGI and more emphasis on practical effects, including that 2 headed dragon (called the Eborsisk, take a wild guess what that name was inspired by). Gotta love Warwick Davis' acting ability growing since he first started playing Wicket W Warrick the Ewok 5 years prior to that. Val Kilmer makes a great barbarian hero, and Jean Marsh is a terrific villain (I'm not surprised, 3 years prior she was Princess Mombi in Return to Oz.

jon

Postby jon » December 5th, 2022, 3:20 pm

Ok I know I sound redundant but if there’s one Seagal movie from his DTV era it’s “A Dangerous Man” from 2009. The action is non stop. There’s no more body doubles in his fights like from his earlier DTV’s. It’s a really simple good plot about him being wrongly imprisoned for murder and getting out after being cleared by DNA 6 years later. It’s by far his best from this era.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » December 6th, 2022, 1:57 am

Seeing as how the holiday season is approaching, me and the missus are getting into watching some Christmas movies to get ourselves in the holiday spirit, as it's a little tradition of ours. So over the weekend we sat down and watched a little Jingle all the way and the remake of the Dr. Seuss classic The Grinch who stole Christmas starring Benedict Cumberbatch. Now, I really dug the latter because it was very much faithful to the original plus it gave us a little backstory as to how the Grinch wound up hating Christmas. But I think I prefer the former because it literally made me laugh out loud several times. And also, how can you not like a movie that not only features Arnold as the main character, but also Phil Hartman as his annoying neighbor, Sinbad as a psychotic mailman, The Big Show as a giant Santa Claus, and Richard Moll aka Bull from Night Court as Dementor, the arch enemy of Turboman??? had a grand old time watching both, and we'll be watching more holiday themed movies in the days ahead...

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » December 10th, 2022, 4:48 pm

Klaus on Netflix immediately became one of my favorite (if not THE favorite) Christmas movies the first time I saw it in 2019. I always make time to watch it at least once every year. I'm obviously too much of a manly stud with a metric ton of chest hair to cry, but happy moments like this movie if full of do admittedly make me tear up...with manly tears, of course, while I punch bears and bench press houses.

Teddybear

Postby Teddybear » December 11th, 2022, 8:28 am

I always enjoy this ongoing thread looking for movie suggestions that may fit into my wheel well......

Smile I'm a fat grown middle-aged dude and this movie had a few scenes that gave me goosebumps too. Not a classic, but the lead actress was superb and there is no doubting just how creepy the "smile" angle is in this movie.

A Christmas Story Christmas I signed up for that introductory $1.99 HBO Max offer last month mainly for The Sopranos (I've never watched any of the series and feel like I'm missing out.) I had no idea that this Xmas classic was getting a reboot and was pleasantly surprised to see it available. It is pretty good! It is very cool how they got plenty of the original characters into the story. I didn't care for how they made out Ralphie's mother to be an eccentric drunk (that leftover food scene was just wrong!) but without any doubt if you're a fan of the first movie this will certainly be enjoyed.

Daybreakers Somehow I missed this awesome 2010 vampire movie with Ethan Hawke and Sam Neill. A vampire plague has taken over the world but the problem is that the surviving human population is dwindling and vampires do require blood to live. Hematologists are struggling to produce a synthetic blood source and the vamp population is getting hungrier by the day. A perfect blend of politics, sci-fi and horror - this flick is a gem!

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » December 11th, 2022, 6:47 pm

It's become something of a tradition with my wife and I to watch Office Christmas Party every year. Raunchy as hell, but hilarious. Now if only I could get her on board with Die Hard as a Christmas movie...

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » December 14th, 2022, 7:11 am

A Christmas Story (1983) for several generations, this was the ideal Christmas movie and for good reason, it's funny and heartwarming at the same time. Like what Sandlot did for summertime, A Christmas Story did for Christmastime, capture all the ups and downs of that ideal time in a kids mind, and simultaneously capture a developing America in a 20th century time period, like a Norman Rockwell painting. This never gets old, no matter how many times I see it, plus relatable too, makes me think of several Christmas times where there was that one gift I had to fight to get, where I sometimes succeed and sometimes fail other times. Overall a classic!

Return to “Other Media”