2022/12/28: Playstation 5: NHL 22, God of War: Ragnarok

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Herschie

Re: 2022/12/28: Playstation 5: NHL 22, God of War: Ragnarok

Postby Herschie » December 30th, 2022, 9:15 am

Sometimes diversity really helps. I wasn't pleased in Madden '94 when all the players were white!

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » December 30th, 2022, 10:11 am

SuperiorShark wrote:Getting out my last word before the mods inevitably close this thread lol. On the whole "forced diversity" thing, personally I couldn't care what color Atreus's girlfriend is, but I think what the Critic and other people are talking about when they bring this up is that back in the day, nobody ever really gave a damn about "diversity." Like did you see anyone complain that Lando Calrissian was black? Nowadays in this hyper sensitive world we live in, we are constantly being reminded how important it is to have racial minorities or LGBT characters in entertainment when before nobody really batted an eye when these people were included before. It's all just so out there now and makes people (who may or may not be correct in their assumptions) that the story matters less than the identities of the characters. I mean why does this character need to be gay, why does this character need to be black, why does this character need to be disabled? Just write your story how you want to. I really believe that if people just stopped talking about identities so much and insisting that we all wear it on our sleeve and love and embrace everyone that a lot of the racism, sexism, homophobia and any other kind of ism or phobia would over time just disappear.

I didn't even know there was a black woman in the game until the critic decided it was an important issue. Within just a minute of research, I also discovered it isn't unreasonable for there to be a few people from Africa in that region during that time.

And again, the trend has been for diversity to be censored. Aside from Jedi Fallen Order scandal, Ubi Soft management was stomping down on any developer suggestion of a woman leading Assassin's Creed for years - during a time when they were also sexually harassing employees while publicly claiming to support them. Plus, when even Tomonobu Itagaki - proud king of lava lamp breast physics - is questioning the industry's white washing one of his characters?

There might be a problem.

Also, I'm old enough to remember Carrie Fisher being called "space b*tch" because Leia was too mean after all the torture and her planet getting blown up - apparently, that sentiment didn't go away until Jabba took her clothes off. She shared that one in Rolling Stone. And no issues with prejudice back then? You should see the insane demands Q5 made about The Real Ghostbusters. You know, what was once the top cartoon in the country? In order to satisfy these social conservatives, Janine had to be meek and soft and supportive and switch to glasses with no sharp edges. It was also important, because reasons, that the cartoon emphasize that Winston's role in the Ghostbusters - his contribution to the team, as a character? He was their driver. They were called racist trash by the show's creator, who quit in protest. (The show would crash and burn with their suggestions. He'd go on to make Babylon 5.)

And this is just what was happening in the world of 80's light escapism. Things get a lot uglier if we talk about what else was going on...

SuperiorShark

Postby SuperiorShark » December 30th, 2022, 10:45 am

I don't know man. There's always going to be rabble-rousers and the internet has only amplified the voices of societies worst people which has given good normal people the wrong impression about everyone. That's why I don't do Facebook Twitter or any of the other big social media sites and instead choose to hang out here with a close knit group of chill cool people. Those websites are designed to get you angry and get you to hate people you don't even know.

David

Postby David » December 30th, 2022, 12:25 pm

SuperiorShark wrote:I mean why does this character need to be gay, why does this character need to be black, why does this character need to be disabled? Just write your story how you want to.

Can you please just think about this for a second? The developers did write the game how they wanted to and included two black characters who are related. Critic complained that it was forced diversity. Now you’re defending it by saying why does everyone have to be black or gay, just write what you want. The next time a black or gay character shows up in a review he’ll yet again complain about how it’s a conspiracy and forced diversity. You’ll say why does everyone have to be gay or black, write what you want. The next game will come out with a black or gay character etc.

There’s no winning with that logic. People can’t write what they want because any time it deviates from “the norm” a bunch of (mostly) white dudes complain that there’s no justification for there to be any non-white, straight characters in any story. And to Logan’s point, I can say that I don’t visit here very much and never post anymore because of exactly what he’s saying. There’s so many coded right wing posts in here that gross me out and I’d rather not engage. And then I come check in on the site and he’s complaining about diversity. No thanks.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » December 30th, 2022, 12:39 pm

I didn't get very far into the game, but is there any other place the game takes place than ancient Scandinavia? It seems as if the black population would be somewhat...limited in that place and time. Unlike when I mentioned Madden '94.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » December 30th, 2022, 12:53 pm

David wrote:
SuperiorShark wrote:I mean why does this character need to be gay, why does this character need to be black, why does this character need to be disabled? Just write your story how you want to.

Can you please just think about this for a second? The developers did write the game how they wanted to and included two black characters who are related. Critic complained that it was forced diversity. Now you’re defending it by saying why does everyone have to be black or gay, just write what you want. The next time a black or gay character shows up in a review he’ll yet again complain about how it’s a conspiracy and forced diversity. You’ll say why does everyone have to be gay or black, write what you want. The next game will come out with a black or gay character etc.

There’s no winning with that logic. People can’t write what they want because any time it deviates from “the norm” a bunch of (mostly) white dudes complain that there’s no justification for there to be any non-white, straight characters in any story. And to Logan’s point, I can say that I don’t visit here very much and never post anymore because of exactly what he’s saying. There’s so many coded right wing posts in here that gross me out and I’d rather not engage. And then I come check in on the site and he’s complaining about diversity. No thanks.

Just for fun, I looked up a Genesis Madden game where every player on a team had the same skin color, to see what was said about the race issue.

The review complained about their "fruity butts."

So, to sum up: two fictional fantasy people are too dark to meet the allowable color range? The game industry is being destroyed and creative freedom crushed. It's practically a cultural genocide.

Actual black people are completely censored in a game? Who cares? Why must we talk about race?

At best, there's a complete lack of self-awareness...
Last edited by ThePixelatedGenocide on December 30th, 2022, 1:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » December 30th, 2022, 12:54 pm

Herschie wrote:I didn't get very far into the game, but is there any other place the game takes place than ancient Scandinavia? It seems as if the black population would be somewhat...limited in that place and time. Unlike when I mentioned Madden '94.

It seems like they're setting up for Egyptian Gods.

And "limited" is the right word. There would be some limited diversity, even back then. Trading between Europe and Africa was already a thing.

SuperiorShark

Postby SuperiorShark » December 30th, 2022, 1:02 pm

"Coded right wing messages?" Give me a break. I'm just trying to understand where the critic is coming from. I haven't agreed or disagreed with anyone on this thread.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » December 30th, 2022, 1:43 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:And "limited" is the right word. There would be some limited diversity, even back then. Trading between Europe and Africa was already a thing.

Alright, so it wouldn't have been very common in the time or place. Which is why it feels like forced diversity. I also play "Enlisted", and there aren't any people of color in the Battle of Berlin, most likely due to how white the Soviet Union and Germany were in 1945. Had they done that same battle today, I would expect to see some diversity, at least on the German side.

In other words, it doesn't fit the historical context, and thus feels out of place.

David

Postby David » December 30th, 2022, 2:51 pm

SuperiorShark wrote:"Coded right wing messages?" Give me a break. I'm just trying to understand where the critic is coming from. I haven't agreed or disagreed with anyone on this thread.

Before you get too angry, that wasn't directed at your post.

Return to “Review Feedback”