Sega Dreamcast Collection anyone?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » January 16th, 2007, 2:45 pm

[QUOTE=Edward M][QUOTE=a]

[QUOTE=Conn]I always played Sega Bass Fishing with the controller. It was still great.[/QUOTE]

Alright then. Like I said I wasn't sure whether or not that needed a different controller. House of the Dead and Typing of the Dead still wouldn't fit in.

[/QUOTE]

I don't see any reason why house of the dead 2 can't use a standard lightgun which will almost certain be made for the PS3.  And can't you plug in a standard USB keyboard into the PS3 to make Typing of the dead work?

[/QUOTE] Why is it "certain" to be made for the ps3?  Normal light guns don't work with flat screen tvs and there's what one lght gun game a year if that.

Edward M

Postby Edward M » January 16th, 2007, 3:51 pm

[QUOTE=sega saturn x][QUOTE=Edward M][QUOTE=a]

[QUOTE=Conn]I always played Sega Bass Fishing with the controller. It was still great.[/QUOTE]

Alright then. Like I said I wasn't sure whether or not that needed a different controller. House of the Dead and Typing of the Dead still wouldn't fit in.

[/QUOTE]

I don't see any reason why house of the dead 2 can't use a standard lightgun which will almost certain be made for the PS3.  And can't you plug in a standard USB keyboard into the PS3 to make Typing of the dead work?

[/QUOTE] Why is it "certain" to be made for the ps3?  Normal light guns don't work with flat screen tvs and there's what one lght gun game a year if that.[/QUOTE]

There are already lightguns out for the last gen consoles that work on the new TVs.

http://www.erealgames.com/products.php

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-1i-49-en-70-16s7.html

The new Time Crisis used a new lightgun and will probably make it to the PS3... someday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Crisis_4

So it looks almost certain the PS3 will have atleast one light gun made for it.   And none of the games would "require" the controllers like a suggested.   Just very strongly recommended.  You can use the joystick for House of the Dead 2, but who the hell would want to?   The fishing games work great with the controller, and I wouldn't expect a fishing controller to get made for the Ps3 anyways.

a1

Postby a1 » January 16th, 2007, 5:20 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]". That's one of the few Dreamcast games I actually miss, mainly due to the fact that every one of them aside from that is on a current gen console in some form or another"

What are you smoking?
[/QUOTE]

Well, House of the Dead 3 and Jet Set Radio Future were on Xbox. Crazy Taxi 1 is on all current platforms, as well as a sequel on the Xbox that has a level from Crazy Taxi 2. Space Channel 5 is on PS2. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 are on Gamecube, and both Powerstones are on PSP. Granted I don't have a PSP or Xbox anymore, but I may get an Xbox again soon; they'repretty cheap now. The only games missing from my old collection this generation are Typing of the Dead, a couple of outdated sports games (NFL 2k1 good, but no longer needed), and ChuChu Rocket.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » January 16th, 2007, 5:43 pm

Jet Set Radio Future is a completely different game to the original.

Crazy Taxi controls poorly on XBox and PS2.

Sonic Adventure 1 on GC is a bad port apparently.

Powerstones may be on PSP but you can't get a bunch of mates round and sit there having a laugh on that version.

Not to mention there are hoardes of great DC games not available on other systems:

Shenmue, Fur Fighters (the PS2 version is very different visually), MDK 2, VF3tb, Soul Calibur (the sequels suck), Vampire Chronicles, Zero Gunner 2, Border Down, Cosmic Smash, Bangi-O (the N64 JAP version was quite different), Outtrigger, Quake 3 Arena (walks all over PS2 version), Carrier, Propellor Arena, Chu Chu Rocket, 4 Wheel Thunder, Rayman 2 (the best version), Spawn, Trickstyle and a lot more!

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » January 16th, 2007, 5:43 pm

[QUOTE=Edward M][QUOTE=sega saturn x][QUOTE=Edward M][QUOTE=a]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Why is it "certain" to be made for the ps3?  Normal light guns don't work with flat screen tvs and there's what one lght gun game a year if that.[/QUOTE]

There are already lightguns out for the last gen consoles that work on the new TVs.

http://www.erealgames.com/products.php

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-1i-49-en-70-16s7.html

The new Time Crisis used a new lightgun and will probably make it to the PS3... someday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Crisis_4

So it looks almost certain the PS3 will have atleast one light gun made for it.   And none of the games would "require" the controllers like a suggested.   Just very strongly recommended.  You can use the joystick for House of the Dead 2, but who the hell would want to?   The fishing games work great with the controller, and I wouldn't expect a fishing controller to get made for the Ps3 anyways.

[/QUOTE]

I would expect time crisis 4 to hit the ps2 before the ps3 just because of the user base.  Also seeing as how TC4 looks like a ps2 game.

a1

Postby a1 » January 16th, 2007, 5:57 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

Powerstones may be on PSP but you can't get a bunch of mates round and sit there having a laugh on that version.

Not to mention there are hoardes of great DC games not available on other systems:

Shenmue, Fur Fighters (the PS2 version is very different visually), MDK 2, VF3tb, Soul Calibur (the sequels suck), Vampire Chronicles, Zero Gunner 2, Border Down, Cosmic Smash, Bangi-O (the N64 JAP version was quite different), Outtrigger, Quake 3 Arena (walks all over PS2 version), Carrier, Propellor Arena, Chu Chu Rocket, 4 Wheel Thunder, Rayman 2 (the best version), Spawn, Trickstyle and a lot more!

[/QUOTE]

I'll give you Jet Set Radio. I actually loved the first one, but didn't care for the second. I haven't played Crazy Taxi on PS2, but Crazy Taxi 3 controlled fine on Xbox. I prefer Sonic Adventure 2 to the first, and that is a fine port. Like I said I can't get Powerstone anyway, so I hope that at some point it will come out on another home console (I doubt it will though).

I have never played Shenmue, so I have no fond memories that make me miss it. I never cared much for Fur Fighters because I know of so many better 4-player games. Soul Calibur 2 is actually about the same game as the first, so I can't see how you can possibly think it sucks. I didn't like Quake 3, and I mentioned Chu Chu Rocket. Rayman 2 is on 64; I know you said best version, but I'm sure it is fine on 64.

The rest of the games you listed I've never played, never heard of, or in 2 cases don't know the game you mean. I know MDK is a common abbreviation for something, but I have no idea what VF3tb is. I'm guessing Virtua Fighter (although I have no idea what tb stands for), in which case I don't care because the only 3d fighter I like is Soul Calibur. In any case, I'm not saying the Dreamcast sucks, or there isn't a reason to own one anymore. I just played mine enough that I don't really miss it, or any of the games I had. I might get another some day and pick up the games I never tried.

Edward M

Postby Edward M » January 16th, 2007, 9:29 pm

[QUOTE=a][QUOTE=bluemonkey]

[/QUOTE]

I'll give you Jet Set Radio. I actually loved the first one, but didn't care for the second. I haven't played Crazy Taxi on PS2, but Crazy Taxi 3 controlled fine on Xbox. I prefer Sonic Adventure 2 to the first, and that is a fine port. Like I said I can't get Powerstone anyway, so I hope that at some point it will come out on another home console (I doubt it will though).

I have never played Shenmue, so I have no fond memories that make me miss it. I never cared much for Fur Fighters because I know of so many better 4-player games. Soul Calibur 2 is actually about the same game as the first, so I can't see how you can possibly think it sucks. I didn't like Quake 3, and I mentioned Chu Chu Rocket. Rayman 2 is on 64; I know you said best version, but I'm sure it is fine on 64.

The rest of the games you listed I've never played, never heard of, or in 2 cases don't know the game you mean. I know MDK is a common abbreviation for something, but I have no idea what VF3tb is. I'm guessing Virtua Fighter (although I have no idea what tb stands for), in which case I don't care because the only 3d fighter I like is Soul Calibur. In any case, I'm not saying the Dreamcast sucks, or there isn't a reason to own one anymore. I just played mine enough that I don't really miss it, or any of the games I had. I might get another some day and pick up the games I never tried.

[/QUOTE]

MDK, is actually the real name of a game.  It supposed to stand for "Murder Death Kill" but noone is certain.   But the only thing the case to the game says is MDK, but not what it stands for.  MDK for PSX is kind of out dated because of its clunky controls (Just like almost every PSX shooter that doesn't use dual analog), but MDK 2 for the Dreamcast is awesome.  It looks great even today.  It is an arcade style shooter that is hillarious and has a ton of variety.  I heard the port to the PS2 is even better than the dreamcast version, and you can find it at any used game store for about 5 bucks.  Well worth the price.   But MDK and many of the other games Blue Monkey mentioned wouldn't be on a Sega Dreamcast collection, because Sega doesn't own the rights to them.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » January 17th, 2007, 3:04 am

I didn't realise it was ported to PS2.  I also took the wording he used to mean that Dreamcast in general didn't have any defining games left.

If you think Soul Calibur 2 is the same as the first game you clearly do not play fighters very much.  The gameplay balance was REALLY altered between the two games.  I've had mates who bought SC2 and then went out and bought a DC just for SC1 because they were so dissatisfied with it.  It is widely held in gaming circles that SC1 is the superior title.

Fur Fighters was all about the massive, funny and varied single player.

tb stands for team battle.  The West received an improved version of VF3 that was later released in Japan.  VF3tb removes most of the horrible shadowing glitches and some other body graphic problems, adds a training mode and adds a team battle mode.

a1

Postby a1 » January 17th, 2007, 12:06 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

If you think Soul Calibur 2 is the same as the first game you clearly do not play fighters very much.  The gameplay balance was REALLY altered between the two games.  I've had mates who bought SC2 and then went out and bought a DC just for SC1 because they were so dissatisfied with it.  It is widely held in gaming circles that SC1 is the superior title.

[/QUOTE]

I would choose the original Soul Calibur first if I had the option, but as I don't the second is a decent replacement. They are very similar in style, even if moves were tweaked and characters were added. The second certainly isn't a bad game.

Return to “Classic Gaming”