Top Gear 2 (SNES)

The readers post their own reviews.
MaverickMoPete

Top Gear 2 (SNES)

Postby MaverickMoPete » January 3rd, 2024, 1:30 pm

Title: Top Gear 2
System: SNES
Publisher: Kemco (1993)

It only took just over a year after the release of Top Gear (SNES, 1992) for Gremlin Games to come out with this sequel. And it was a year well spent, as Top Gear 2 serves up more arcade racing goodness on tracks from all over the world. You, and optionally, a friend will be jockeying for position in a field of 20 cars to be the first to get to the finish line.

The first thing I need to mention is that, in what I see as a vast improvement over the original, is that a one player game no longer forces you to play in split screen. This allows you to see the greater details in the tracks, including the backgrounds and weather effects like rain, flashes of lightning, and even fog. There's even night races where opposing cars appear as tail lights in the distance until you get close enough for them to be in your lights.

Unlike the original, you can actually be out of the points and still qualify for the next track, as any top ten finish qualifies you to move on. But you definitely want to rank as high as you can, because in addition to the points, you also earn money based on how well you do in each race. This will allow you to invest in car upgrades that can improve your top speed, handling, and how much damage your car can take.

I bring up car damage because it plays a role in this game: If your car takes too much damage in a particular side of it, be it the front, back, or one of the sides, taking another hit there will spin you out and cost you time. Therefore, there's a lot more incentive to drive defensively and use the brakes if you absolutely need to. And there's no pit stops this time, so upgrading your gearbox is a must because it improves your fuel efficiency, which you will need for the longer races.

The controls are easy and give you plenty of options. This may be the first game that includes "finger pedals," by which I mean you can use the shoulder buttons to accelerate and brake, freeing your thumb to shift gears and mash the nitro bursts as needed. And not only do you get more nitro bursts in this game, they're much more effective. Often, a well timed Nitro Burst can mean the different between qualifying and not.

Usually, when a game gets a hasty sequel like this, it doesn't end well. Fortunately, in this case, it worked out very well. Not only is Top Gear 2 a great arcade racer, it may be second only to Super Mario Kart (SNES, 1992) in pure racing fun.

My Grade: A-

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Top Gear 2 (SNES)

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 4th, 2024, 7:23 pm

Good job on this review. I'm pretty sure I was working on a review for this one last summer. I think you upstaged me! Gotta raise my game...

Anchoa79

Re: Top Gear 2 (SNES)

Postby Anchoa79 » February 4th, 2024, 9:29 am

The Top Gear trilogy was amazig!!!!!!

Return to “Reader Reviews”