Recent Movies You Saw

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Recent Movies You Saw

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 17th, 2024, 8:29 pm

Zack Burner wrote:Continuing Greek myth movie week, "Jason and the Argonauts" (1963), with more Ray Harryhausen magic here, in fact this is often considered his best work, and for good reason. There are 4 monsters here: the bronze giant Talos, 2 harpies, a hydra and the skeletons, you can really see the hard work going into this! Talos is still an ominous sight especially when he creaks his head towards the heroes and moves slowly, the hydra moves very gracefully, and the skeleton fight is nicely choreographed it took months to create! It's not without its flaws though, which are easy to forgive, the performances are ropey at best, with Todd Armstrong as Jason being the highlight. The guy playing Zeus is no match for Sir Lawrence Olivier who had the power and the presence, here he just plods along, though Honor Blackman (yes the same woman know for playing P(censored) Galore) does a good job as a motherly Hera. The final flaw is that it end on an abrupt note, though that was for the best, even if it left a door open for a sequel that never happened.

I have all these movies on DVD, and they are worth it for the monster scenes themselves. The bronze giant scene is absolutely terrifying! And I'm sorry, no amount of CGI is going to top it.

Unfortunately the dialog, acting, and stories are less compelling.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » May 17th, 2024, 8:49 pm

Zack Burner wrote:Continuing Greek myth movie week, "Jason and the Argonauts" (1963), with more Ray Harryhausen magic here, in fact this is often considered his best work, and for good reason. There are 4 monsters here: the bronze giant Talos, 2 harpies, a hydra and the skeletons, you can really see the hard work going into this! Talos is still an ominous sight especially when he creaks his head towards the heroes and moves slowly, the hydra moves very gracefully, and the skeleton fight is nicely choreographed it took months to create! It's not without its flaws though, which are easy to forgive, the performances are ropey at best, with Todd Armstrong as Jason being the highlight. The guy playing Zeus is no match for Sir Lawrence Olivier who had the power and the presence, here he just plods along, though Honor Blackman (yes the same woman know for playing P(censored) Galore) does a good job as a motherly Hera. The final flaw is that it end on an abrupt note, though that was for the best, even if it left a door open for a sequel that never happened.

Pussy? Nothing wrong with a cat. Whats new pussycat sung by Tom Jones has an altogether different vibe in the UK than it would have in the US of A. I am not sure that when she starred in the role she knew of the vulgar vernacular that the US use it for.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » May 17th, 2024, 9:13 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:

I have all these movies on DVD, and they are worth it for the monster scenes themselves. The bronze giant scene is absolutely terrifying! And I'm sorry, no amount of CGI is going to top it.

Unfortunately the dialog, acting, and stories are less compelling.

I agree about the Talos scene being terrifying, although I also give mention to the Hera figure on the ship opening and closing her eyes being awfully unnerving. It reminds me of the Twilight Zone episode "The After Hours" where the girl is alone with the mannequins and you hear: "Marsha.....Marsha......who are you trying to fool" and in a blink and you miss it moment, one dummy moves his arm which still makes me jump!

Other than that, believe it or not....this is one of Daniel Radcliffe's favorite movies!

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » May 20th, 2024, 9:41 pm

Finishing up my Greek Myth movie viewing, "Ulysses" an Italian adaptation of the Odyssey, featuring Kirk Douglas as the titular character of Ulysses/Odysseus and Anthony Quinn as a potential suitor for his wife Penelope, the actress playing her also plays the witch Circe. A condensed, a little corny, and shortened version of the tale, is nonetheless entertaining, only keeping some of the important parts such as the meeting of the Phoehacians, a flashback of the victory over Troy with the Trojan horse, the encounter with cyclops Polyphemus, the Sirens, and the witch Circe herself, then the triumph over the villainous suitors. No CGI or Harryhausen here, the Italians had to make do with what they have here, the results are a partial success.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » May 21st, 2024, 9:15 pm

Before there was "Her" with Joaquin Phoenix and Scarlett Johannsen, there was....."Electric Dreams" (1984) celebrating it's 40th anniversary. A modern take on the "Cyrano de Bergerac" story about an intelligent, but awkward architect who gets a (then) state-of-the-art computer while falling in love with a lovely cello player as his neighbor. Eventually the computer gains sentience and enamors the girl with his music that now it becomes a love triangle between the architect, the cello player, and the computer (named Edgar). Though the technology is of course obsolete by today's standards, there is plenty to enjoy here! Plenty of hilarity, nicely animated dream sequence, a Pac-man scene, and a rousing finish too beautiful to reveal here.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 22nd, 2024, 11:28 pm

Zack Burner wrote:Before there was "Her" with Joaquin Phoenix and Scarlett Johannsen, there was....."Electric Dreams" (1984) celebrating it's 40th anniversary. A modern take on the "Cyrano de Bergerac" story about an intelligent, but awkward architect who gets a (then) state-of-the-art computer while falling in love with a lovely cello player as his neighbor. Eventually the computer gains sentience and enamors the girl with his music that now it becomes a love triangle between the architect, the cello player, and the computer (named Edgar). Though the technology is of course obsolete by today's standards, there is plenty to enjoy here! Plenty of hilarity, nicely animated dream sequence, a Pac-man scene, and a rousing finish too beautiful to reveal here.

Big controversy now that Chat CPT is copying Scarlett Johansen's voice:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/202 ... johansson/

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » May 24th, 2024, 10:33 pm

Since warmer weather was in my neck of the woods for this week, I decided to turn to Disney's wonderful remake of "The Jungle Book". I know what you're all thinking "How does this compare to the animated original?" I know some of you will disagree with me, but I love this version more than the original. The lush jungle environment really makes you feel like your in it, and the animals are breathtaking. Of course what good are they in appearance without the actors to back them up? We've got Sir Ben Kingsley as Bagheera, Bill Murray as Baloo, Idris Elba as Shere Khan, Lupita Nyongo as Raksha (the mother wolf), Scarlett Johansen as Kaa, and Christopher Walken as King Louie. Mowgli himself is played by a real Indian boy Neel Sethi, and is a lot more tolerable and resourceful than the cartoon version. Shere Khan in this version is scarier and meaner than in the cartoon, even kills a few characters, heightened by his hellbent thirst for revenge and Elba's booming vocals sending shivers down one's spine. Thankfully there are some light moments to counteract that, they even included the two most famous songs from the cartoon, "Bear Necessities" and "I Wanna be like you". It's not without its flaws though, the two minor antagonists parts are a bit brief, especially the snake, Christopher Walken's take sounds like an Italian gangster, And some won't like the absence of some of the songs from the original. Other than that I still love this version, the ending which I won't reveal here is better as well.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » May 25th, 2024, 9:06 pm

Since hearing of filmmaker Morgan Spurlock's passing, I decided to revisit the one documentary he's famous for: "Super-Size Me" a very thought-provoking, eye-opening documentary about the obesity epidemic. While Morgan is going a a 3 times a day McDiet for one month he's interviewing nutrition and health experts, plus interviewing the general public on their take on fast food chains. What Morgan suffers through not just physical, but also mental and psychological will have the viewer thinking twice before heading to your favorite fast food joint, let alone McDonalds. There are a few gross scenes, but they don't completely impact the picture. We'll surely miss this thought provoking filmmaker.....

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » May 27th, 2024, 9:38 pm

No other movie screams Memorial Day than "Saving Private Ryan" with Tom Hanks, Matt Damon, Barry Pepper, Vin Diesel, Bryan Cranston, and Paul Giamatti among the many actors playing all the soldiers who both stormed the beach at Normandy that one day (D-Day) and then go on a search for one Private to bring him home after hearing that his brothers were killed in action. Along the way the Captain (Hanks) and his small band of men question the meaning of the mission being man, as this happens, tempers flare, egos clash, priorities are challenged, and of course lives are lost. Powerful performances from the many men, with as close to a real war as you can view it, with many hellish images of soldiers getting all mutilated (especially one scene where a soldier cries for his mother while his intestines are out). This one movie perfectly captures what our good men went through those days in WWII.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » May 27th, 2024, 10:26 pm

Mommie Dearest. Deranged movie. Even crazier is that, in a movie with so many embellishments to the story, the soap opera incident actually happened!

Return to “Other Media”