7800 homebrews?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Alienblue

7800 homebrews?

Postby Alienblue » February 4th, 2007, 12:54 pm

I hooked up my Atari 7800 yesterday, as Atarifever knows it is a remarkable system. I plan on getting Pac Man collection soon.

Two questions. Do other 7800 gamers have a FAVORITE 7800 game? Mine is split between Centipede (with trackball) and Food Fight, though Joust and Ms. Pac Man come close. I apoligize for coming down on 7800 MISS pac and dig dug, I forget sometimes that often the HOME PORTS are not the same but SUPERIOR TO the coin-op (see seperarte thread in other forum).

Also, are there now available or are there plans to make these games for the 7800: Ladybug, Super pac man, Gauntlet (using the DARK CHAMBERS engine) Zaxxon (using Desert Falcon) or Mr. Do! (using DIG DUG)? Thanks.

Funkmaster V

7800 homebrews?

Postby Funkmaster V » February 4th, 2007, 9:33 pm

My favorite 7800 games:

Tower Toppler, Beef Drop, Basketbrawl, Midnight Mutants, and Pac Man Collection

The only homebrews that I know that are coming out for sure is Frogger and Q*bert. I have a 99% completed Q*bert cart because I know someone who is good to know and it is an amazing game.

I'm also looking at buying the Chuck Norris "Missing in Action" prototype to release. I heard it wasn't great but it is a pretty varied adventure/ action game with Double Dragon style fighting and 3rd person boat racing too.

Funkmaster V

Atarifever1

7800 homebrews?

Postby Atarifever1 » February 6th, 2007, 12:21 pm

I like Galaga, Donkey Kong Jr., Dig Dug, and PacMan the most.  I can't speak for PacMan collection yet, as my first one was broken, then Al shipped another during a time when he was moving, then I got a new job and moved myself (possibly leaving the game on my doorstep a few hundred miles away), so I don't know if I'll ever get it.

By the way Alienblue, the above mentioned job is the reason I haven't responded to your last email.  I still don't have internet at home and am only allowed to use the computer here for this kind of stuff when on break, which is over right....now.

Alienblue

7800 homebrews?

Postby Alienblue » February 6th, 2007, 12:48 pm

The more I play Atari 7800, the more I am convinced it would have been a fantastically popular system- IF it had come out in 1984, not years later! The graphics surpassed every other system, and the poor sound can be overcome with a 5200 pokey sound chip. It reproduces early era 80's coin-ops perfectly!

Sadly, it simply could not compete with the NES for raw power. You couldn't do something like PUNCH-OUT or ZELDA too well on the 7800 (the only 7800 game I've played that is superior to the NES version is Xenophobe, and I think thats simply because the NES version sucks!...Commando, Ikari Warriors, Rampage et al. usually look better on NES or SMS).

Ozzybear1

7800 homebrews?

Postby Ozzybear1 » January 22nd, 2009, 10:26 pm

Though most that i have read dont like it, I was always fond of the double dragon for the 7800, my friend and I played that constantly over and over, so I will say double dragon and joust.

Atarifever1

7800 homebrews?

Postby Atarifever1 » January 23rd, 2009, 10:54 am

I have to say that if the 7800 had the currently available prototypes and homebrews available when it was new, it would probably be remembered much more fondly.  The library would have had some holes filled in, and its arcade classics library would be even better.   Here's what we have gotten that can be bought on cart since the system "died."

Combat 1990
Save Mary
Klax
Missing in Action
Burger Time
Space Invaders
Q-Bert
PacMan Collection
Space Duel
Asteroids Deluxe
Sirius
Plutos
A possible NTSC version of Impossible Mission

Super PacMan should be available soon too, and I keep hoping Frogger gets released on cart.  I'm currently working on getting Plutos and Sirius, and outside of Combat 1990 I have the rest of those.  

Save Mary and Klax fill in the puzzle games part of the library (although technically Save Mary is supposed to be a 2600 game).  Sirius and Plutos make it's shooter library more respectable.  And the filling in of some more arcade classics makes it an even better arcade machine.   

envytomdead

Re: 7800 homebrews?

Postby envytomdead » August 5th, 2018, 10:56 pm

I love Desert Falcon and Food Fight. I'd love to see proper versions in a new flashback. I also like Double Dragon. Not sure why it gets all the hate. It's very playable once you figure out the reverse kick. I also like Choplifter, Xevious, Commando, Rampage, Alien Brigade and Ikari Warriors.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » August 6th, 2018, 1:28 am

My fave 7800 game is Ms. Pac-Man. Which I also think is by far and away the best home version of the game ever released. Yes, it looks a little blocky. But it looks very similar to the srcade version. And it also plays and controls really well, which are all things that can't be said of the versions that both Nintendo and Sega put out at around the same time for their respective systems (what's up with the weird looking discolored mazes in each version? Yuck.). In short, it's as close to the arcade as one could possibly get on a home console in the80's, and a must have for anybody interested in a sadly overlooked and criminally underrated system.

travistouchdown

Postby travistouchdown » August 7th, 2018, 9:08 am

Atariage.com is where to get the homebrews for 7800.

Dungeon Stalker is a great update on an Intellivision Classic.

Froggy should be out soon. Always amazed me there was no Frogger for the system.

Return to “Classic Gaming”