Resistance: Fall of Man (PS3)

The readers post their own reviews.
JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » March 5th, 2007, 11:06 pm

Resistance: Fall of Man (Playstation 3)

Resistance is a great FPS from the boys and girls who brought us Ratchet and Clank.  The weapons are crazy fun, the enemies are scary as hell and gameplay is tight.  You really could't ask more for a launch title and this game delivers the goods.

The single player campaign is told through brisk cut-scenes and still frame images.  Our hero, Nathan Hale, is the silent but deadly type.  He probably talks five times in the whole game, but he is a great character because of it.  Sgt. Hale just kicks ass and doesn't ask questions.  He is like a bold mix of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher. 

Early in the game Hale is infected with the Chimerian virus and he gains healing abilities not unlike Master Chief's regenerating shield.  Luckily you can only regain a little bit of your health.  For instance if you have 5% health left the most health you can recover is 25% (without health syringes that is).  It keeps you on your toes and keeps you from just blasting and waiting for your health to recharge. 

The levels in the game are extremely brisk.  The longer ones are 20 minutes and they are few and far between.  Playing Resistance is like reading a novel with short chapters, you constantly feel like you are accomplishing something.  Overall the campaign clocks in at around 12 hours and that just long enough for this gamer.

Insomniac put a lot of time into this game and you can tell, the production values are through the roof.  The musical score is great (some of the score sounds like it could work in Terminator 2) and the weapon effects pack a potent punch. The voice acting is phenomenal, I love the British chick in particular.  The graphics aren't the best the industry has ever seen, but they are still really easy on the eyes.  This is one of those games that rewards players with the best visuals towards the end of the game.  The last few levels are breathtaking.  I also love the little hand drawn journal entries that give you descriptions of enemies and weapons...a real nice touch.

The enemies are brutal in this game.  They duck for cover, flank you, draw you into traps etc...plus there are times when they scare the living crap out of you!  When a menial (a hideous zombie like grunt) grabs you the screen turns and you have to literally shake the controller to kill them.  It scares the hell out of you and its fun in the process.

For a launch title this game features nearly limitless replay value.  The online component in Resistance is top notch.  It's the most fun I've had playing online since Halo 2.  The game supports up to 40 people in deathmatches and it's hectic fun.  There is no lag, and no slowdown whatsoever.  Beating out 40 other people to come in first place is simply exhilarating.  If you want to win you will have to be a literal killing machine!  With headset support for voice chat and more maps coming Resistance looks to have some legs in the online world.  Plus its just fun to move up the ranks and unlock new skins and uniforms for your online solider.

If you own a PS3 you need to get Resistance: Fall of Man.  It's a great beginning to a franchise and it can keep you entertained for months.  Few consoles launch with a title like this and it really is worth digging into...you won't regret it.

The good: Excellent weaponry, brisk story, high production values, great mulitplayer

The bad: The occasional ugly texture here and there...not much else though

The grade: A

Johnny

Postby Johnny » March 8th, 2007, 1:05 am

I played this at a local gaming store...

It was okay, nothing special

been there done that feel to it

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » March 8th, 2007, 9:01 am

I'm sure if you only played a demo of the game for 15 minutes you would have that impression.  When you first start playing the game you have standard military weapons (carbine, shotgun) and it feels like a Call of Duty game.  Yet the more you play it the more guns you get and the more guns you get the more options open up.  Resistance has the some of the best weaponry ever seen in a FPS.  Throughout the single player campaign you constantly collect new weapons to add to your arsenal and every weapon has two fire modes.  You can lock on to target with the Bullseye Rifle, or you can create a sheild and blast enemies through walls with the Chimerian Auger.  Each weapon gives you a multitude of strategies to use in any given situation. 

Resistance is one of the best FPS to come out in a long time.  It blows away anything on the last gen systems and it has set the standard for next gen FPS in my opinion. 

a1

Postby a1 » March 8th, 2007, 1:25 pm

I get pretty annoyed when people judge a game solely off of the five minutes they played on a demo. Insomniac is a really good company (the third Ratchet and Clank was one of my top 5 games last gen), and I'm sure Resistance kicks ass. There aren't too many games you would be all the impressed by if you only played them for 5 minutes. No more judging from demos people!

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » March 12th, 2007, 4:58 pm

its a well polished first person shooter. and while the genre is one of the most popular in gaming, not everyone gets into them. personally i havent been heavily into a fps since doom.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » March 12th, 2007, 5:09 pm

FPS are probably my second least favorite genre...racing games hold the number 1 spot.  Thats what amazes me so much about Resistance is that a person like me who can't stand the genre actually ended up loving the game. 

You're right, it doesn't do anything out of the ordinary, but the weapons are fresh and the multiplayer is lag free and exciting.  If more FPS were as quality as Resistance I would probably enjoy the genre much more.

Johnny

Postby Johnny » March 12th, 2007, 10:45 pm

Thats just it it reminded me too much of call of duty 2...

And i thought call of duty 2 was a hugely over rated game

im sure this isnt a bad game but hey i can generally judge a games gameplay with in the first 5 minutes of playing it

especially since ive played thousands of games like it before

except for gears that took time for me ot like but probobly took around 10 minutes

so yeah get over it

Return to “Reader Reviews”