3/23/2007: Genesis: Double Dragon 3, Super High Impact, World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Adamant1

3/23/2007: Genesis: Double Dragon 3, Super High Impact, World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck

Postby Adamant1 » March 26th, 2007, 8:49 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic] That said, you can rest assured that ANY game I rate a B or higher is a good game, regardless of the system.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I wouldn't call Kether a good game. Some of the space stages (especially the last one) are great fun, but the puzzle levels are boring, and the indoor stages are not only slow and dull, but also pretty much completely identical. I'd rather play Chaos Control than this, and you rated that one a D.

Pilot

Postby Pilot » March 27th, 2007, 3:50 am

[QUOTE=Adamant][QUOTE=The Video Game Critic] That said, you can rest assured that ANY game I rate a B or higher is a good game, regardless of the system.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I wouldn't call Kether a good game. Some of the space stages (especially the last one) are great fun, but the puzzle levels are boring, and the indoor stages are not only slow and dull, but also pretty much completely identical. I'd rather play Chaos Control than this, and you rated that one a D.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that amplifies my argument that the curve system is moderately flawed. Suppose someone arrives at the Critic's site and they have a hankering for a great FPS. Should they look in the N64 section for classics like Goldeneye, the Playstation for Medal of Honor, the Xbox 360 for modern hits, or etc?

It gets a little complicated because gamers have to start asking themselves, is this particular console section one of high regards? Because as mentioned earlier, a popular system with a variety of games like the Genesis seems to warrant a higher A than the recently released Xbox 360 as the latter console currently has a sparse game library, meaning better grades are giving out more commonly as there's not much competition.

With that aside, I recently played Legendary Axe 2 for the TG-16 but it was a rather arduous task for me to find out how it was superior to other SNES platform games that received lower scores. I mean, I would much rather that you give A's to game of a particular genre only when you know that it rivals many others on differing consoles.

It's quite simple to compare a shooter like M.U.S.H.A. with Axelay because although they are on different platforms, both games are of similar genres. I would appreciate if you added some type of comparison note like Axelay is so fun it makes many Genesis shooters like Musha pale in comparison. Or you could say that Legendary Axe 2 has such refined game-play that many SNES platform games don't hold a candle to it. I don't really mean what I just said but was merely using it as an example.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » March 30th, 2007, 5:21 am

[QUOTE=MappyMousePD]What about DD3 on the NES?

It's necessary to get passed the first level before writing a review.  That game is IMPOSSIBLE.  Or maybe I just suck. 
[/QUOTE]

No, you're right.  That game is impossible, UNLESS you do nothing but the whirlwind kick constantly.  Otherwise you cannot help but get punched a few times every time you face an enemy, and they eventually wear you down.  So basically, in other Double Dragon games, you could get good enough that you could almost never get hit, or avoid getting hit most of the time, and therefor get far in the game.  In DD3, even if you perfectly time an array of punches on a guy, he will always sneak in a few punches and maybe even take over and give you a flurry instead.  It was just poor design, and a lack of a thorough playtest.  The other big problem is that on most of the levels, the enemies aren't released to you in little waves throughout the level.  You could stand at the beginning of most levels, beat all of the enemies, and then walk through the whole level without seeing another bad guy.  I don't know how they missed these things, because otherwise it is a great looking game.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 31st, 2007, 2:11 am

[QUOTE=Pilot][QUOTE=Adamant][QUOTE=The Video Game Critic] That said, you can rest assured that ANY game I rate a B or higher is a good game, regardless of the system.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I wouldn't call Kether a good game. Some of the space stages (especially the last one) are great fun, but the puzzle levels are boring, and the indoor stages are not only slow and dull, but also pretty much completely identical. I'd rather play Chaos Control than this, and you rated that one a D.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that amplifies my argument that the curve system is moderately flawed. Suppose someone arrives at the Critic's site and they have a hankering for a great FPS. Should they look in the N64 section for classics like Goldeneye, the Playstation for Medal of Honor, the Xbox 360 for modern hits, or etc?

[/QUOTE]

Recall that your original comparison was between World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (Genesis) and Dead Rising (Xbox 360).  Trying to compare two entirely different games from two different generations is an exercise in futility.  It's about as pointless as comparing Pong with Virtual Tennis 3. 

Return to “Review Feedback”