My Dream Streets of Rage 4

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 20th, 2007, 6:07 pm

I hear Sega is thinking about resurrecting some of its old franchises like Streets of Rage.  I have some ideas how Sega could create a really kick-ass Streets of Rage 4 game.

First, stick with the classic 2D sprite gameplay, which has always proven effective.  Every brawler that has tried to switch to 3D has met disaster.  In terms of graphics, stick with the colorful, stylized urban scenery, but use the improved graphic quality to make the backgrounds more detailed and better animated.  The storefronts of the original game were fascinating, so think of what they could do now.  As for the fighters, add more detail and frames of animation.  Incorporate branching stages so players could walk down different streets each time, enhancing the replay value.  Also, incorporate more "team-oriented" coop attacks and allow for up to four players.  Finally, bring in the original Streets of Rage composure to generate an all-new electronic soundtrack (with an old-school flavor).

I think this old school approach would result in a very fun game with graphics that still look up-to-date.

What do you think??

IronKnux

Postby IronKnux » April 20th, 2007, 7:21 pm

The chances of Sega releasing a 2D SOR is slim, if you ask me. We'd all love it, but the gaming public, having been exposed to and fawning over the 3D capabilities of the 360 and PS3, there'd be a very, very small audience for a 2D game. Plus. look at Sega's track record for the past few years... very little smart moves to speak of.

BigOldCar

Postby BigOldCar » April 20th, 2007, 8:47 pm

I'd love to see that.  They've I can just imagine the color shading on the characters, and the rain, and bad guys stepping out from the shadows.  Weapons like chains and maybe pipe wrenches laying around...  This could be a lot of fun!

Evan

Postby Evan » April 20th, 2007, 9:13 pm

I'd buy it.  But the chances of a 2D Streets of Rage 4 are nonexistent.  The game would almost certainly be in 3d and it would almost certainly suck.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » April 20th, 2007, 9:16 pm

[QUOTE=Evan]I'd buy it.  But the chances of a 2D Streets of Rage 4 are nonexistent.  The game would almost certainly be in 3d and it would almost certainly suck.[/QUOTE]

If it were on a handheld like the DS or PSP, or even on the Wii, it could easily be in 2D.

Evan

Postby Evan » April 20th, 2007, 10:18 pm

[QUOTE=m0zart]

[QUOTE=Evan]I'd buy it.  But the chances of a 2D Streets of Rage 4 are nonexistent.  The game would almost certainly be in 3d and it would almost certainly suck.[/QUOTE]

If it were on a handheld like the DS or PSP, or even on the Wii, it could easily be in 2D.

[/QUOTE] Yeah I meant for the consoles.  I could see a 2d Streets of Rage on a handheld but it would probably be separate from the main series, so technically it wouldn't be Streets of Rage 4.  The only way I could see it happening on the Wii is if it were part of the rumoured original content to be released for the virtual console.  Now that I think about it, that could be pretty cool.

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » April 20th, 2007, 11:13 pm

I threw up that idea months ago! Big companies can have almost intern groups who get their feet wet on virtual console content. For example, the Nintendo group could make very simple sequels to Ice Climbers, Punch Out!!, etc. Personally, I don't think Nintendo will ever make a next gen Punch Out(I've waited for years and it hasn't happened!!). Sega's group could work on games like SoR4 and so on. The VC could be a god send if used for more than just a dumping ground from the past. What would distinguish them from emulators is orginal content.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » April 21st, 2007, 12:28 am

I wish there were some way we hard core gamers could let Sega and others know their IS an audiance for 2D console games. I mean, geeze, PSX and Saturn had tons of 3D games but they had 2D games TOO which sold as well if not better! The 32 bit graphics really made 2D games like IN THE HUNT and LOMAX and RAYMAN shine!

I'm an SOR fan too, and if X360 came out with 4 or 5 great 2D games like this, I'd buy one (PS3 is still out of my leauge).

I have a dream....the dream when both 2D and 3D can coexist peacefully, brother!

Michael D

Postby Michael D » April 21st, 2007, 1:35 am

Awesome idea, but it'll never happen.  Sega's been holding back on bringing Streets of Rage back so much (in their collections, at least), you'd almost think they want to disavow all knowledge of it. 

Sonic Gems Collection? "The Teen rated Streets of Rage games are not in  keeping with Sonic's familiy friendly image in the states (yet they had absolutely no problem putting out the gun crazy, profanity filled, and initially Teen rated Shadow the Hedgehog)."

Sega Genesis Collection? "We were afraid that the games would give the package an M rating."

It's completely bull****, especially when you consider that the ESRB rated the Virtual Console release of Streets of Rage 1 E10 (and I predict that he now announced VC release of SOR 2 will also get the same rating).

It's things like this and the drastic fall of the Sonic series that has almost made me glad that Sega's third party bid resulted in them wallowing in the gutter for the past half decade.  Hopefully, Sega will get their act together before they end up in eternal video game company infamy alongside Acclaim and Titus.

Quiet Flight

Postby Quiet Flight » April 21st, 2007, 3:01 am

You can play most of the fan-made SOR sequels on a Dreamcast. Alot of them are actually very fun.

Return to “Video Games General”