RPG Critic?

General and high profile video game topics.
JustLikeHeaven1

RPG Critic?

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » December 20th, 2005, 3:12 pm

Hey Dave,

Is the RPG Critic no more?  He hasn't posted something in quite some time and I was just curious if he decided not to review anymore games for you. 

sega saturn x

RPG Critic?

Postby sega saturn x » December 20th, 2005, 9:56 pm

I just figured it took him so long because rpgs are so damn long.

JustLikeHeaven1

RPG Critic?

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » December 21st, 2005, 1:32 pm

[QUOTE=sega saturn x]
I just figured it took him so long because rpgs are so damn long.
[/QUOTE]

Yea I thought that was the case too, and I didn't think much of it.  Then I got to thinking that RPGs are still like most games in that you can make a figure out if you like it or not with 1 to 5 hours of gaming.  Most RPGs start off slow and kick in to high gear in around hour 4 or 5.  It only takes a handful of battles to know if the battle engine is entertaining or strategic or both.  Also, at that time the plot elements should begin to twist and tangle enough to get a feel for whether you like it or not.  If you have been playing an RPG for 5 hours or more and  you still are not interested in it then you should probably stop playing it.

sega saturn x

RPG Critic?

Postby sega saturn x » December 22nd, 2005, 9:52 pm

Few rpgs interest me at all, very few but those few are always a hoot.

wur1

RPG Critic?

Postby wur1 » December 23rd, 2005, 12:45 am

Thing is, most video games are mediocre, but you can at least gleen more satisfaction from a mediocre instant-gratification action game than a mediocre RPG; this creates a paradox where an RPG must be entertaining to be played, yet you can only find out whether it's actually entertaining by playing.  Hence, we have the "play it for five hours" heuristic that was stated above.

Sketch Turner

RPG Critic?

Postby Sketch Turner » December 23rd, 2005, 2:02 pm

I pretty much avoid RPGs, unless they're short. The thing is, RPGs tend to be overpriced. You can often play a great action game for the price of a mediocre RPG.

JustLikeHeaven1

RPG Critic?

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » December 23rd, 2005, 6:32 pm

I have never noticed a price difference in RPGs over regular games.  Unless of course you are talking about the older RPGs like Earthbound (I saw a new copy go for over $600.00!!)  Final Fantasy II and III are alos very expensive if you track down a complete version of them.  The action RPG is usually the way to go for most people, because they aren't too boring and don't require as much time investment.  Plus the genre offers everything from the X-men to The Bard's Tale.

JustLikeHeaven1

RPG Critic?

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » December 23rd, 2005, 11:30 pm

I guess that the RPG critic has taken an extended vacation or he is enjoying an RPG too much to write a new review.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

RPG Critic?

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 24th, 2005, 10:13 am

I play games with this guy regularly so I'll mention something to him.

Return to “Video Games General”