What's the Best Video Game Ever?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 5th, 2007, 10:45 pm

I get hit with this question all the time, and it usually leaves me at a loss for words.  But I think I finally figured it out. 

It's the Centipede arcade game.  I have one in my basement, and my wife and I still play it regularly, many years after purchasing it.  Yes, even girls like this game.  It may seem very simplistic compared to modern games, but its mechanics, controls, and difficulty progression are close to perfect.  And the better you get at the game, the more you appreciate the subtle strategy and technique involved.  My wife's high score is 148,000.  Mine is 133,000.

Okay, now that I've gone out on a limb, it's your turn to name the best video game ever.  Let's hear it!

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » August 5th, 2007, 10:52 pm

ask me ten times and you will get ten different answers

are you finally writing a book with all of these questions?

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » August 5th, 2007, 10:58 pm

Super Mario Bros.

Because it heralded the triumphant return on the home video gaming console. Sure, video games would have survived the 1984 crash... but the landscape would have been much different. I think it would be almost all MMORPGS and computer games today, and maybe some cell phone stuff, had a fat plumber not rescued the entire home market.

A stock answer, yes, but it works for me.

-Rob

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » August 5th, 2007, 11:01 pm

The Legend of Zelda (NES).

Tourian

Postby Tourian » August 6th, 2007, 2:18 am

Super Metroid (SNES)

Blah

Postby Blah » August 6th, 2007, 2:46 am

Ocarina of Time (N64)

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » August 6th, 2007, 3:51 am

Sorry to disagree with you critic, but I find Centipede to be kinda dull compared to MILLIPEDE, which has way more bugs and strategies (growing mushrooms, flower "walls", etc..)

For me the absolute best video game of all time is ladybug. It's a thinking mans pac-man. You can't just use a bunch of constant patterns but you ARE forced to use strategy as the game escalates. And 20 different levels, and three different special bonuses, it's like a combination video-pinball game.

Plus the Colecovision version-which I played first-is IDENTICAL in most ways to the coin-op!

Games like Super Mario and Zelda are super great till you beat them twenty times, then not so fun. Ladybugs got legs!

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » August 6th, 2007, 5:37 am

the most bestest video game in the history of mankind, in my humble opinion, is "Tempest".  The game came out in 1981 (when millard fillmore was president), and the game still rocks today.  an absolutely phenomenal game.  but, as someone else has stated, ask me tomorrow, and i'll give you another answer (something like 'pac-man' for the 2600...i kid).

Luke

Postby Luke » August 6th, 2007, 5:44 am

I'd like to say Galaga, but it's probably Pac-Man.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » August 6th, 2007, 7:52 am

ill nominate eugene jarvis's pair of classics defender and robotron 2084

Return to “Video Games General”