1/27/2006: Atari 2600: Coconuts, Commando, Commando Raid

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 27th, 2006, 9:01 pm

Post you comments about this set of reviews here.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » January 27th, 2006, 9:45 pm

even though most of them suck, i like the later 2600 arcade ports like this. its just fun to see how publishers could cash in after the crash and the resurgence of the NES.

commando was also on the intellivision, though ive yet to play either one.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » January 27th, 2006, 10:01 pm

I never played Commando on 2600, but I didn't lke the NES version so surely I would not like this(?).

In Coconuts...I'm a cartoonist and I think you are being a little over the top on the "flamboyancy" of the character. Rule #1 in cartoons is to make things stand out, be unique, EXAGERATE!
Is charlie brown a mutant because he has a round head? Is Snoopy an alien dog because he acts human? No, and this guy isn't gay because he is dressed that way. The large sprites and bright colors make him STAND OUT. Also, I think this was really meant more for kids anyway.

For real X-rated-ness though, I'm suprised you didn't comment on the..ahem.."phalic" look of the gun in COMMANDO RAID! My sister and I laughed ourselves silly at that thing!!!

Koopa Warrior

Postby Koopa Warrior » January 28th, 2006, 10:05 am

A) Great job Critic!

B) The guy in Coconuts !S freakin GAY!!!

C) Commando does NOT suck!!!

GOD Bless,

Matt

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » January 28th, 2006, 3:04 pm

A) Agreed! Even when I don't always agree with your reviews ,
excellent job as always critic. VERY good rewrite on Coconuts
to spare peoples feelings this time!
B) As a scientist, Koopa, I say PROVE THY THEORY! REALLY, in 1982 would ANY non-xrated company release a game with a GAY character?! The character is "Proper british whatnot, ol' chappie, my word, dear!" yes, but GAY!!? C'mon! I was saying that in cartoons you will see british explorers carrying umbrellas and wearing pith hats and shorts. But COLORS!? PITFALL HARRY is very colorful too! Is HE Gay? There ARE games with Gay characters but released in the post 16-bit era mostly.
C) AGREED! GREAT GAME! And funny as heck! Oh...and my word, it has BRIGHT COLORS in the sky! A GAY SKY! (; Seriously, I remember getting CR for $5 during the crash and it was one of US games best releases. Excellent graphics, except that...that...
HAHAHAHAHA GUN!!!!! ]=====)

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » January 28th, 2006, 3:48 pm

I've got the flu and I'm pulling double shifts at work. If this comes out incoherent, I apoiligize.

I have the oppistie attitude towards Activision attempting modern NES/arcade hits on the Atari 2600. I was fairly poor growing up, and while all my school friends had NES, I was still stuck with Atari 2600. I always felt left-out when it came to video games. It was always a small thrill when a hot NES game, like Rampage or Commando, was ported to the Atari 2600 so I wasn't left out completely. I don't see Activision as greedy scammers putting out these late generation games to make a cheap buck, I see them as childhood heroes, throwing us less-forunate kids a bone.

These days, I admire Activision for being completely foolhardy, making modern games the Atari simply couldn't handle, and being somewhat successfull. The NES couldn't handle Commando, it had bad image-breakup, slowdown, non-existant enemy AI, and hardly an enemy bullet onscreen. The fact that Commando even EXISTS on the 2600 is a testement to Activisons' great progamming ambition. I find the 2600 version of Commando to be perfectly playable, even though hardware limitations make it impossible to make it intense(it simply can't have tons of soilders onscreen at once). As it stands, Commando is  C+ taken on it's own, and as far as pure programming talent&ambition, it gets an A+.

Also..I'll have you know that the Coconuts guy is happy and well,  living in Canada, legally married to Bently Bear.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » January 29th, 2006, 10:00 am

Sorry to hear you're sick Zen...I am, too, but I get to be in a nice warm hospital instead of pulling double shifts (I don't have the FLU, I don't think, just a bad cold..but along with my chemo this is REALLY making me sick...)

Your memories of being poor match mine. After my mom died I was ok till I was 18, as I got some benifits and had a couple part time jobs. Then I lost them and for 2 years was on welfare. I had to sell ALL of the old videogame stuff I had aquired up to that point-mint VCS games like Mr.do!, (with boxes!) and boxed coleco tabletop games, my vectrex collection....it was very painful. I had to move into a one room motel for the winter. Only ONE game I managed to keep; Ms. pac man (coleco handheld), which I played until I could not afford batteries for it! Sadly it got broken in the move when I had to leave in the spring. (had to stay with my father for a while).

Anyway, I got lucky and got back benifits in '84 and that was when I got my coleco adam computer+CV colection I still have to this day. I wish I could say I kept every other console too, but it seemed I kept hitting hard times and would have to sell this or that (I had to sell my first PC, commodore, SNES and Sega CD to help me buy my first car...necessities of life, always getting in the way of gaming!)

I agree with you about Activision being good to 2600 players. Kung-Fu is nearly unplayable due to difficulty but BOY it looks almost as good as the NES version!

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » January 29th, 2006, 12:25 pm

[QUOTE=Zenzerotron]
Also..I'll have you know that the Coconuts guy is happy and well,  living in Canada, legally married to Bently Bear.

[/QUOTE]

Well, with the new Conservative Government, I'm sure the marriage won't last long.

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » January 29th, 2006, 11:17 pm

It was very frustarting growing up as a gamer. I was always a console-generation behind. Despite being lower middle class/working poor, my mother stuck me oppressive mean private catholic school from grades kindergarten to 8th grade(a factor among many, as how I'm emotionally disfunctional and broken). Basically, every other boy in my class was spoiled/privallaged, and they all got each&every console the second it hit the shelves. One friend strikes me in particular, his mother was a lawyer and his father was a doctor, AND his father was a gamer himself. They had everything and then some. To make a long story short, I was stuck with Atari 2600 when everyone else had NES. When I finally got an NES, I was behind again because all my classmates got Genesis, Turbographix, and even the TG CD-Rom add-on.

When I got my very first job when I was 18, the very first thing I bought with my very first paycheck ever was a Playstation(Psone) console. I only lasted a month at that job, which made me very wise to buy the Playstation the very second I had a chance

Even though my life has always been crap and it's far worst as an adult then when I was a child, I always count my blessings that throughout my adult life, I've been the gamer I always wanted to be as a kid. I can buy every game and almost every system that I want, like my stuck-up spoiled classmates did way back when.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » January 30th, 2006, 8:07 am

Zen, we have much more in common then you think! I grew up very shy and alone and poor, with no freinds. I didn't really develop the social skills I have now until I got into College and was able to meet ADULTS who really liked me, i.e., no more teasing/ getting harassed by the other kids!

I have told my past stories, so just to recap quick, the only game systems I had BEFORE my parents died/I was alone, were PONG, TANK, and an ATARI 2600 which, I must add, I bought with money I earned MYSELF, janitorial work for the summer. Though My Mom did buy me like 6 games before she passed away. It was after I got dissability and was able to (stupidly) "blow" my check on anything I wanted that I got any new system that came out-I went hungry a lot, but that was my own choice (I got dissability in '84...I am hearing disabled and have IBS, along with other maladies, BEFORE I was diagnosed with cancer)... so I was doing ok on dissability, getting more then a minimum wage worker could (during this time, BEFORE I got cancer, I also freelanced a lot of art stuff and made good money there, too...I managed to take care of myself, getting my own car, etc... along with games)...
sadly, all this came to an end when I got married and lost my disability because my wife got it away from me (I'm still trying to find legal help on that)...so now I'm no longer freelancing and getting roughly half of what I WAS before gettig married to miss freeloader, I am back to poor,poor POOR city. Can't even just get a part-timer because of my cancer. So it's lucky I have amassed a good collection (and have good freinds)... but this , like you Zen, is why I'm still stuck back in the 32 bit era of consoles. I WOULD have gotten a PS2 (even though FPS games do not interest me) had I still had the income. Maybe I'll find it second hand someday...

Anyway, how long these threads get! I hope you are feeling better by now, good luck at work, Zen! Maybe you need a John Conner type device to search numbers on the LOTTO machine!

Return to “Review Feedback”