1/27/2006: Atari 2600: Coconuts, Commando, Commando Raid

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Zen444

Postby Zen444 » January 30th, 2006, 10:07 pm

Way to wuss out on the Cocunuts review critic.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » January 31st, 2006, 4:03 am

[QUOTE=Alienblue]I never played Commando on 2600, but I didn't lke the NES version so surely I would not like this(?).

In Coconuts...I'm a cartoonist and I think you are being a little over the top on the "flamboyancy" of the character. Rule #1 in cartoons is to make things stand out, be unique, EXAGERATE!
Is charlie brown a mutant because he has a round head? Is Snoopy an alien dog because he acts human? No, and this guy isn't gay because he is dressed that way. The large sprites and bright colors make him STAND OUT. Also, I think this was really meant more for kids anyway.

For real X-rated-ness though, I'm suprised you didn't comment on the..ahem.."phalic" look of the gun in COMMANDO RAID! My sister and I laughed ourselves silly at that thing!!![/QUOTE]

Yeah, but who wants to read about a STRAIGHT guy wearing those clothes and dancing around like a fruitcake?  Let's just assume he's gay and is trying to hide Captain Winkie and supress his feminine side.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » January 31st, 2006, 10:06 am

Way to post an intelligible question.

What the #$%! do you MEAN? Lots of threads go way off base (check out my "IBM stuff" thread, arguing about DOS!) and I dunno WHY Zen doesn't like to e-mail me, but there it is and this is the only place I can talk to him, M'K?

So, if You want to get back on-subject, please do so! Though I never played Coconuts, and my only real observations were 1) bright colours do not make a character Gay (except That purple sewandsew, BARNEY )....and 2) You really can't tell if someone is straight or gay simply by what they wear. Some women wear MENS clothes to work just because its part of the job, that does not make them gay. And BTW, I still think Coconuts was a slowed doen Kaboom! Meant more for kids. Eggomania was better.

blaster

Postby blaster » January 31st, 2006, 12:08 pm

Hey, am I the only person who has noticed that Commando Raid is a blatant rip-off the Apple ][ computer game Sabotage? Why weren't there ever any lawsuits?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabotage_%28computer_game%29

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » January 31st, 2006, 3:50 pm

Hmmm..somebody must have ripped on me judging by Alienblue's first sentence. Too bad it was removed(?) and I never got to read it.

Sorry if I went into too much personal detail. My subject&orginal intention was on-topic. I'm sure I'm not the only kid in the world whom benefited from Activision producing arcade/NES hits during 2600's dying days. Not every kid had an NES and was stuck with a 2600. I believe that Activision was targeting that sort of audience with Double Dragon, Commando, Rampage, Kung Fu Master, etc. That's all I was trying to point out, geez

Chris Marsh

Postby Chris Marsh » January 31st, 2006, 8:47 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]Way to post an intelligible question.

What the #$%! do you MEAN? Lots of threads go way off base (check out my "IBM stuff" thread, arguing about DOS!) and I dunno WHY Zen doesn't like to e-mail me, but there it is and this is the only place I can talk to him, M'K?

So, if You want to get back on-subject, please do so! Though I never played Coconuts, and my only real observations were 1) bright colours do not make a character Gay (except That purple sewandsew, BARNEY )....and 2) You really can't tell if someone is straight or gay simply by what they wear. Some women wear MENS clothes to work just because its part of the job, that does not make them gay. And BTW, I still think Coconuts was a slowed doen Kaboom! Meant more for kids. Eggomania was better.[/QUOTE]

For good laughs, try the Barney game for Genesis. You can't die and you can let go of the controller, so the game plays by itself. I use my weird sense of humor on this game, along with some Michael Jackson jokes (Barney blows kisses at little boys that hide is bushes in the game).

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » February 1st, 2006, 8:06 am

That's a funny one about Barney...

I think it's important not to get too worked up and remember these are GAMES, not political essays! If you want to PRETEND the guy in conconuts is gay, go right ahead! I just see no proof of that (unlike, say, the scantily -clad gay guys in the BIG BROTHER phallic shooter..). Maybe the mankey is gay, too and flirting with Stanley (It IS STANLEY, I presume?) Maybe the round "coconutz" represent..something else? The world will never know...

And Zen, I think they were riping on ME for changing the subject to my past, not on YOU. Like I said, threads OFTEN go off-topic. Now, again, the basis behind metaphysics in the species STEGOSAURIA, based on clinical research done with hangnails...

Jake

Postby Jake » July 23rd, 2006, 2:16 am

Hmmm, Commando Raid. Quite high rating!? 

This was about as fun for me as

sleeping. I would mark this game at about C-.

It's not fun or exciting, the action is like Name This Game but not as creative, I would rather play that easily.

Maybe think this one over VGC.  

Jake

Postby Jake » July 25th, 2006, 4:25 pm

Hmm, my 1 post about Commando Raid sounded cold. It wasn't ment to be that serious. Anyway, Commando Raid is an ok game, just could be better with some more life into it. Kinda dull for me. Although I do see how it could be fun or attractive to play. The few times I played it, I did lose quick and didn't like it much. So I should give it a more fair chance.

Return to “Review Feedback”