Just a few comments

General and high profile video game topics.
RememberShaqFu?

Just a few comments

Postby RememberShaqFu? » February 11th, 2005, 4:32 am

Well, first off, I stumbled onto your site by accident and I now officially use this as my "go-to" guide before I go huntin' for used games. I also no longer trust the "valued" of game magazines after reading your reviews of games like Castlevania: Lament and Contra: Shattered Soldier, which both stood in stark contrast to their "sunshiney" comments. Quite frankly, I agree with you completely on both of those games.

Onto the questions(which, I guess, are more about your opinion than your site):

1). Do you agree that Konami has taken a nosedive in this generation of gaming? I mean, MGS3 isn't what it was cracked up to be, TMNT was horrible(shocker), Suikoden IV was mediocre at best, the last Castlevania was lousy and, like morons, they're doing yet ANOTHER one in full 3D!!! Also, is it just me or has Konami almost become an unofficial 2nd party for PS2? They seem to be the only system that Konami will make exclusives for these days! Well, the ps2, gba and(now) the ds. I can't recall any exclusives for GC(no, MGS:TS doesn't count as it was a remake and done by Silicon Knights) or Xbox).

2). Do you have a preferance for the three consoles on the market right now? Personally, I love all three but I hold a special place for the GC. I know it's library is meager but when a great game comes out, it is usually GREAT! By the way, if you haven't had the chance, you need to play RE4. I've already beaten the game twice and I'm getting ready to start my third game to unlock everything.

3).(Last question) Do you believe that any of the "classic" systems have gotten far more adulation than they deserve and, if so, which one? Personally, for me, I'd have to say the original game boy. I owned the gb, game gear and the lynx and I actually liked the lynx above the other two, if only for Dirty Larry and Ninja Gaiden III(don't ask why).

Anyway, thank you for your time.

chrisbid1

Just a few comments

Postby chrisbid1 » February 11th, 2005, 6:59 am

the critic and others disagree, but i thought Gradius V for the PS2 was fantastic, it kept the feel of the original 2D games and with the option to regenerate immediately after dying (rather than restart at a checkpoint), its far easier to complete than previous versions of the game

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Just a few comments

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 11th, 2005, 7:36 am

To answer your questions:

1. I really don't pay much attention to the publishers when I review games. Konami's titles have been uneven in quality, but not to the point where I'd write them off. I just picked up MGS3, and I'm anxious to play it.

2. I also picked up RE4 yesterday. The game looks incredible from what I've seen.

3. I can't say I've seen this. But if I recall correctly, the Lynx and Game Gear were highly acclaimed by the press for their large, bright screens. As usual though, the system with the best games won.

Take care
Dave

superjay

Just a few comments

Postby superjay » February 11th, 2005, 10:54 am

My favorite system is the Xbox. The Gamecube is curently my least favorite system. They have disappointed me to no end. Metal Gear sucked. Resident Evil is great but what about online. I happen to love online and I haven't gotten good enough online support from that system. Where's the Mario Kart Online. Anyway I just love the exclusive games on Xbox better. I love Halo 2 I love Kinghts, Starnger and I know I'm going to love Doom 3 with online coop nothing beats that.

Dennis

Just a few comments

Postby Dennis » February 11th, 2005, 1:01 pm

To add a comment to 1), Konami is also missing a HUGE opportunity in the arcades by not developing a new American mix of Dance Dance Revolution.

The current mix is almost three years old, and it's a Japanese import.  DDR is dead in Japan, which is why no new mixes have been made; but it's only becoming more popular here in the U.S.  Konami could capitalize on this *bigtime,* since DDR is pretty much the only arcade game in the last 7-8 years (except for maybe Golden Tee) to make any sort of a splash.  They're even developing a new DDR game for European use only, but still nothing for the U.S.  What is the problem???

Paul Campbell

Just a few comments

Postby Paul Campbell » February 13th, 2005, 4:03 am

I just can't get used to the controls of Halo 2 having recently been playing alot of PC games and getting used to the FAR SUPERIOR keyboard and mouse combo. No matter how much I play it I feel I am playing at about half the level I could be because my play is so hindered by the control.

rawseagull

Just a few comments

Postby rawseagull » February 13th, 2005, 1:31 pm

Hi,

Just like to say that I am a recent re-convert to the PS2 and also have a GC. Both systems are excellent (leaving the comparatively soulless Xbox standing) and Gradius V was top of my list (along with San Andreas) when building up my PS2 library (again!). Now for a random change of subject - what's the fuss about Nintendo's DS? I was distinctly underwhelmed, have sold my unit, and am now saving for a PSP. It's all very well being innovative, but why at the expense of playability? If humans had three arms fair enough, but I just found the stylus fiddly. Plus the games for it just don't excite me... should they?

RememberShaqFu?

Just a few comments

Postby RememberShaqFu? » February 13th, 2005, 8:36 pm

Come on, you can't write off the DS just three months after release! Remember the lackluster first year of the ps2? It's very rare for a system to have a horde of great games in the first several months after release. Just give it time because, in my opinion, several of the upcoming games look really fun or at least interesting. I think both look to have their fair share of good games but, like everything else, it just takes time.

Paul Campbell

Just a few comments

Postby Paul Campbell » February 14th, 2005, 4:20 am

Holy crap rawseagull, the DS's booty is still raw from being spanked after it came out of the womb and you're complaining about it's game "library"? WHAT HAVE WE COME TO PEOPLE????

I remember everybody getting their original NES and being more than happy playing the Super Mario Brother game that came with it until their eyes were bleeding, and it was only icing on the cake to be able to stick in a copy of Ice Climber ot Kid Icarus or (JOY!) Legend of Zelda.

Now people are so spoiled they complain about a new systems library when it has 3 games available for it because it came out frickin' YESTERDAY, and complain about a games graphics because it has a 1 zillion polygon count instead of the standard 2 zillion. Plus, how can they expect us to live without an analog pad? How are you supposed to steer? With your MIND?

The Nintendo DS is a fricken' breath of fresh air. Finally something new to do. Finally something more innovative than finding somewhere else on the controller to squeeze another button. Finally a touch of creativity in the system and not the games. And from the people that really standardized the analog controller (not forgetting the Sonic team and the Nights controller, of course).

It's people like this that force game manufacturers to stay bland, because consumers are whiners. The consumer can't just buy a system and play its few available games until more come out, they MUST have a billion games available right off the bat. As if it would be better to just keep the system off the shelves untile more games can be released when it is released, like that's any better. At least we have a system to play!

Ok, I'm done.

superjay

Just a few comments

Postby superjay » February 16th, 2005, 1:08 pm

(leaving the comparatively soulless Xbox standing) 

The Xbox isn't souless the PS2 is.

Return to “Video Games General”