new to the site, wondering if you're not an rpg fan

General and high profile video game topics.
douchebaggins

new to the site, wondering if you're not an rpg fan

Postby douchebaggins » February 14th, 2005, 12:54 am

i've loved using your site since i found it earlier this week to find games i may have never heard of for some of my more classic systems; however, i've noticed that most rpg's don't get mentioned. if you're not a fan, tis cool. to each their own. would just be nice to get your opinion on some of the earlier rpg's i haven't played like the phantasy star or dragon warrior series, or some that i have, like the ff's. great site though, keep it up!

Robotrek

Re: new to the site, wondering if you're not an rpg fan

Postby Robotrek » November 10th, 2021, 4:13 am

I find it funny how for this long people assume the video game critic hates RPG games.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » November 10th, 2021, 7:14 am

Can't say I ever got the impression he hates RPGs, he has several reviews scattered around where he referenced that they were not his cup of tea, but never straight up dislike/distaste.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 10th, 2021, 7:36 am

They are a time sink that he doesn't have. He can review 20 games in the time it takes to play through a single RPG. Plus, I think it's because he gravitates toward the more arcade like games. Anything with a story and he'll usually skip past reading it as fast as he can. (at least that's the impression I've garnered over the last X number of years)

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » November 10th, 2021, 8:16 am

Yes, the critic has reviewed a few RPGs, any Zelda game (yes those count as RPGs) and Secret of Mana. Any other RPG is reviewed by a correspondent like FF7 (my personal favorite Final Fantasy and game of all-time), to the underrated Legend of Dragoon (which deserves more respect), and Breath of Fire.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » November 10th, 2021, 8:20 am

Zack Burner wrote:Yes, the critic has reviewed a few RPGs, any Zelda game (yes those count as RPGs) and Secret of Mana. Any other RPG is reviewed by a correspondent like FF7 (my personal favorite Final Fantasy and game of all-time), to the underrated Legend of Dragoon (which deserves more respect), and Breath of Fire.

YES to Legend of Dragoon deserving more respect. And BoF I thru IV. 8-)

JohanOberg

Postby JohanOberg » November 10th, 2021, 10:30 am

Zack Burner wrote:Yes, the critic has reviewed a few RPGs, any Zelda game (yes those count as RPGs) and Secret of Mana. Any other RPG is reviewed by a correspondent like FF7 (my personal favorite Final Fantasy and game of all-time), to the underrated Legend of Dragoon (which deserves more respect), and Breath of Fire.

Legend of Zelda games are NOT RPGs. You can make a case for Action-RPG, but not just RPG.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » November 10th, 2021, 10:58 am

JohanOberg wrote:

Legend of Zelda games are NOT RPGs. You can make a case for Action-RPG, but not just RPG.

A case van be made for Zelda II as an RPG, as that release was consistent with many "RPGs" of its day trying to find what worked. Similar games to Zelda II such as Popful Mail appear in the new Bitmap Books JRPG release.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 10th, 2021, 4:07 pm

As a few others have said I'm not averse to RPGs and I have reviewed a few. They are not my favorite genre but I think I would enjoy them more if I had more time.

There's some pressure to crank out regular reviews for the site, so reviewing RPGs would really cramp my style. Perhaps if one day I don't have to do this crazy thing called "work" during the day I will focus more on them.

In the meantime I have an "RPG crew" who pitches in with guest reviews, filling in the RPG gaps of my review collection. If anybody wants to participate in that let me know.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » November 10th, 2021, 5:06 pm

Shout-out to Robotrek for digging up a nearly 17-year-old thread. I love it!!

ActRaiser wrote:He can review 20 games in the time it takes to play through a single RPG

VideoGameCritic wrote:They are not my favorite genre but I think I would enjoy them more if I had more time

You know, it's funny how much this logic applies to my own life, as well.

In my youngest gaming years, I didn't care for RPGs at all. But this was also back during a time when most games in the genre were made for PCs (think Ultima and The Bard's Tale) and my family did not own a home computer until the mid-90s. But I loved arcades, and I loved the quick-fix games we had for the 2600 and NES. I could blast those walkers in the Atari version of The Empire Strikes Back all day, let me tell you...

I didn't really dig into RPGs until I started playing tabletop games in my teens. Then, it was on! That was practically the only sort of video game I played for a stretch of a few years, crossing all sorts of series and genres. Wizardry, Ultima, Dragon Warrior, Phantasy Star, Final Fantasy... the list goes on. If I had access to the PC, handheld, or console to play it on, I tried it.

But as I got older, burnout set in a bit, and my time became more and more precious. Girlfriends. Art School. And, yeah, work, I guess. Heh. I also felt that each new RPG I played felt more and more derivative. For me, it was less of a dislike for the genre, more of the point that I knew my time was limited, and if a game didn't "grab me" within the first hour or so, I did not want to be there for the long haul. Especially with later story-driven RPGs that could take hundreds of hours.

That rule applies nowadays, too. I feel for the expectations that The Critic places upon himself to keep the reviews coming. Myself, my gaming time is so limited, I have to choose the best way to spend the few hours each week that I have available. In most cases, I want a quick-fix game. But every now and then, I'll play a longer game that really draws me in. If that happens, though, I have to almost schedule time out of my day to play it, to work it into my day around the rest of my life.

Not ideal. But, sometimes, the experience can be worth it.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the Secret of Mana review last year. What a great game! And what a time commitment!! I still own my original copy from way-back-when, but I haven't touched it in decades. It's hard to find the time. But to hear The Critic devote the time and energy to it - especially knowing the pressures of keeping the reviews flowing on the site - is really something. A long game should not be a chore, though in my own experiences, it can be hard to find one that does not feel that way after a while.

VideoGameCritic wrote:In the meantime I have an "RPG crew"... If anybody wants to participate in that let me know.

As a member of the RPG Crew, I am all for expanding it! I personally feel that I haven't done much to "pull my weight," aside from pitching in some impressions and memories for the Phantasy Star IV review. But I love seeing the enthuiasm on those boards, and though I may not play many RPGs these days, I like to think I have a vast knowledge of titles from the past. I love comparing my memories and experiences of older titles with the enthusiasm other crew members have for newer games.

If there's room for me, there's certainly room for more, too :D

Return to “Video Games General”