360 Update

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

360 Update

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 15th, 2006, 8:39 pm

The other night I got together with a few friends to break in the Xbox 360, and there weren't many strong reactions.  We played a few racing games, and although most supported split-screen action, switching between user profiles was really aggravating.  See, the Xbox system saves individual user profiles that you can use for each game.  But in games like Project Gotham 3, you have to choose them from the top menu, which means wading through copious menu screens just to change players.  Another issue is that different games handle profiles differently, and some have their own "game" profiles in addition to the system profiles.  It's a confusing mess!

One thing this current generation has fixed is pop-up.  The scenery flows very smoothly even on the split screen.  Unfortunately, the load screens are back and longer than ever.  Looks like we'll be spending the next five years staring at them until this generation of systems is over.  Dead or Alive 4 was one of the best received games mainly because its load times were minimal.

In terms of graphics, they are an incremental step forward, but as my friend Scott said, "if you had told me these were normal Xbox games I would have believed you".

On the positive side, everyone like the controllers and the "player number" light indicators on top.  Although the games were pushing any boundaries, they play well and are fun.

Still, when we switched over to some Gamecube action there certainly perceivable drop in the quality of gameplay.

That's it for now.  Comments?

Zenzerotron

360 Update

Postby Zenzerotron » March 16th, 2006, 12:39 am

What I *really* want to know is if the hard-drive is backwardly compatible with selected Xbox games right out of the box, or do you HAVE to go online and download from xbox360.com??

Also, do you have Full Auto by chance?? I have my heart set on this game, but I have my doubts. What is you&friends reactions to this game, if you have it.

Conn

360 Update

Postby Conn » March 16th, 2006, 12:57 am

I dunno, I personally loved how you had profiles. No more accidentally svaing over other saves for me.

bluemonkey1

360 Update

Postby bluemonkey1 » March 16th, 2006, 5:13 am

That could potentially be saying something about the Gamecube rather than this gen .  I find my Gamecube great for single player but it doesn't really see any multiplayer action outside of Rebel Strike.

Is it not possible to setup like just a standard Guest account that you can use for all other players or is it impossible to change the controls that way?

I read it was possible to move your playercard between 360s on a memory card.  So is it possible to have an account on one 360, save your gamercard to the memorycard then play with it on someone else's machine and keep all the records you generate there?

bluemonkey1

360 Update

Postby bluemonkey1 » March 16th, 2006, 7:50 am

Zen you have to download small files for each backwards compatible game you want to emulate.  You need to get these online, though if you have  broadband and an ethernet cable it's free.  Alternatively you can get discs from the Microsoft website that have them on, you can either download them to pc and burn them or get them through the post I believe.

xox

360 Update

Postby xox » March 16th, 2006, 4:10 pm

Do you have ghost recon?

JustLikeHeaven1

360 Update

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » March 18th, 2006, 2:25 pm

I have no problem with the 360 and in time I think it will flourish just as the original Xbox did.  My main problem comes from Microsoft jumping the gun on releasing a new system so soon.  I seriously love this current generation of consoles and I am still playing them all the time.  I just think that the Xbox, Gamecube and PS2 still had a few years in them.  Why would I want to buy a brand new system when I am perfectly happy with the choices that are still available.  Plus the current systems haven't died yet and software is still coming out on a weekly basis.

bluemonkey1

360 Update

Postby bluemonkey1 » March 18th, 2006, 2:52 pm

The GameCube certainly does not have a few years left in it.  Realistically it died at least a year ago.

Anayo1

360 Update

Postby Anayo1 » March 18th, 2006, 7:38 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

I find my Gamecube great for single player but it doesn't really see any multiplayer action outside of Rebel Strike.

[/QUOTE]

SOMEBODY is forgetting about Super Smash Brothers Melee and Timesplitters 2.

bluemonkey1

360 Update

Postby bluemonkey1 » March 18th, 2006, 8:32 pm

Super Smash Brothers isn't really liked by me or any of my friends.

We kind of got tired of Timesplitters 2 years ago - we all have it for XBox as the game is better and the controller more suited to FPS.  We still play it once in awhile though, like when someone has made some new maps for it. 

Return to “Modern Gaming”